Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can you teach chol in a non-Jewish area/school

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 5:13 am
So there is this organization that can help me out with a career in education. And of course, I'm not learned enough to go into kodesh because the frum school in the NL accepts people who went to sem and I've never set a foot in a sem.
So, ok... This organization just called me and she wanted to speak with me next Monday and I said that I can't because of yontif. And of course, no one in the NL knows anything about Yiddishkeit even though most rightwing MPs are all over that we live in a Judaic-Christian country Can't Believe It Anyhoo... she was like doing difficult when I said which stuff I can't do for yontif and why I can't speak to her on Monday 'speaking with me is not labor right?' and I was like 'It is not but it I can't take my bike or go by bus to go to your office and she was then all that she wanted to speak with em about this 'difficulties' and how people like me are working if you have these rules and why I can't give in if I want to work to these rules... And I said 'Even if the Dutch king is asking me to eat in his palace I won't eat anything that is not kosher' 'Yeah but that is ok, but the fact that you can't wrok is a big big problem for all companies, especially education... SO here I am turning to you how do you deal with it if you work in education with no Jews? I know of a rabbi who thaught history in a really diverse school with lots of Muslim children I'm going to ask him. I just want to stand my ground... No one no one EVER will force me to labor on shabbos or yontif.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 5:19 am
my parents teach in non Jewish universities and I know other frum people who teach in non Jewish schools. You need to take off those days. Its not usually an issue for pesach since that often coincides with Easter and schools are off anyway. And some years yom tov is at the weekend so its less days.

She wouldn't expect to be able to talk to someone on xmas, most people understand that is a holiday.

Go through a calendar, explain this is the maximum amount of days you will need to take off.

Can you teach chol subjects in the frum/Jewish schools?

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 5:24 am
amother Sage wrote:
my parents teach in non Jewish universities and I know other frum people who teach in non Jewish schools. You need to take off those days. Its not usually an issue for pesach since that often coincides with Easter and schools are off anyway. And some years yom tov is at the weekend so its less days.

She wouldn't expect to be able to talk to someone on xmas, most people understand that is a holiday.

Go through a calendar, explain this is the maximum amount of days you will need to take off.

Can you teach chol subjects in the frum/Jewish schools?
Not in the Netherlands (thus Holland for people who don't know topography) since there are two and they are full staffed as far as I'm concerned. The frum school would like to have me as soon as I live there as well (because I live now 1.5 hour away) maybe the non-frum school less... But I will move there maybe next summer when I'm done being post partum. I just find it always so frustating, this happened also in college when some teacher made a whole brouhaha that I couldn't come on Yom Kippur and she asked me if I could postpone it to another day, and then later the student counselor even dared to say I was becoming an extremist... mind u I was still wearing trousers and tops etc.

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 5:46 am
I know many frum people who teach in public schools/universities. They take off for chagim, just like anyone who works in any non Jewish environment.
I worked in corporate America for 15 years.
I used my vacation days for Jewish holidays.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 7:15 am
The chagim work out to 13 days. In any given year, at least some of them are likely to fall out over weekends, and Pesach is normally in the school holidays.

Beyond that there are 'optional' days off like Purim and erev Pesach. In the winter, Friday afternoons may also be an issue.

In most countries you should be legally entitled to take off religious holidays, but it will normally come out of your own time off. Its normally worth bringing this up at the job interview, rather than springing surprises and renegotiating hours after you start.

Just present it as a non-negotiable, but don't be aggressive about it. You can smile and apologise for the inconvenience it causes, without having to feel guilty about your religious needs and priorities.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 7:17 am
You have to stay calm, and not take ignorance personally. The real problem isn't someone's first reaction, it's how you respond to it. It's essential that you come across as calm, understanding, cooperative, and informative. Something like this:

"I understand that my religion is unfamiliar to many people. There are Orthodox Jews who work in every field there is -- I absolutely can do everything within these limitations to make things work. Although we do have a lot of holidays when we can't work, particularly in the fall, we make up for it by filling in at other times that are not our holidays. This school year, there are ___ days that are Jewish holidays. Here are the dates I will have to miss. Those will be my vacation days. I'm happy to make them up, or take them as unpaid if necessary."

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 7:25 am
imasinger wrote:
You have to stay calm, and not take ignorance personally. The real problem isn't someone's first reaction, it's how you respond to it. It's essential that you come across as calm, understanding, cooperative, and informative. Something like this:

"I understand that my religion is unfamiliar to many people. There are Orthodox Jews who work in every field there is -- I absolutely can do everything within these limitations to make things work. Although we do have a lot of holidays when we can't work, particularly in the fall, we make up for it by filling in at other times that are not our holidays. This school year, there are ___ days that are Jewish holidays. Here are the dates I will have to miss. Those will be my vacation days. I'm happy to make them up, or take them as unpaid if necessary."

Very well said.

I also know quite a few people who work in a non jewish enviroment.

It shouldnt be an issue once days off are sorted.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 7:33 am
imasinger wrote:

This is fine (only you can't make up school days like you can in other jobs so I'd leave that out). I worked in public schools for many years. Generally no issues with yt, of course I did need to work purim, erev yt, and chol hamoed. Usually pesach falls over at least part of spring break which helps. But otherwise, I was allowed 2 days religious holidays, used my personal days, then took leave without pay if needed. Really, early Fridays were more stressful tbh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics