Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do you have a tv....?
1  2  3  Next

do you...
watch tv/movies at home and elsewhere?  
 37%  [ 36 ]
watch tv/movies elsewhere only?  
 6%  [ 6 ]
watch tv/movies on your computer?  
 41%  [ 40 ]
know what a tv show or movie is? (not watch TV/movies, haha)  
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 96

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 9:12 pm
or watch on the computer or nothing?

Last edited by yo'ma on Thu, May 29 2008, 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 9:13 pm
I have a computer and that is enough. The school doesnt allow that either but I need it for work.

Maya

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 9:13 pm
Where's the poll that usually accompanies threads like these?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 9:16 pm
We have a t.v. but just to watch videos on. We don't get (or want) reception to watch any t.v. stations.

ss321

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 9:16 pm
I dont think this should be discussed in public. it might entice those of us who dont have tvs to go out and buy one Twisted Evil LOL

greenfire

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:17 pm
sshhhhhhh

happyone

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:38 pm
Who needs a TV when you have Imamother?

You got all the drama you need on this site!!!

cassandra

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:39 pm
I watch TV to unwind from this site.

Maya

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:39 pm
happyone wrote:
Who needs a TV when you have Imamother?

You got all the drama you need on this site!!!
Especially when the talk of the day is about TV.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:58 pm
Maya wrote:

I didn't originally put a poll because I didn't know if pple would appreciate it.

Maya

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:59 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Maya wrote:

I didn't originally put a poll because I didn't know if pple would appreciate it.
That's okay. It was a joke. Wink

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:02 pm
Maya wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
Maya wrote:

That's okay. It was a joke. Wink

Too late Confused !

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 7:21 am
The first person to own a tv in my family was my chassidishe great-grandmother. Her chassidish friends Messed in front of it every afternoon, for tea. Which teaches me that, for me and my family, the issur is not having a tv, or watching a tv, but seeing untznius stuff, on tv or irl.
I laugh when guys who obviously don't own a tv still look at me in the street (ok no I don't laugh, I am Mad ).

GramaNewYork

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 7:29 am
I am addicted to TV (luckily we don't have cable). I use TV to unwind, to zone out and to laugh but I am philosophically against TV!

If I had growing children, I would not have a TV. I consider Hollywood and the newsmedia something like heroin pushers and I'm the junkie. It feels SO good but it's SO bad for you. There are so many images in my mind that I wish were not there. I can't stand the idea of hearing the popular culture icon views subtly (and not so subtly) drilled into us all the time.

But I don't have the discipline or will at this point to kick the habit and throw out the TV. I think I need to check in at rehab Wink

anuta

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:31 am
There is no option on the poll for me. I don't have a TV in my home. I don't watch TV. I do sometimes go to a movie theater. VERY occasionally (once a year or so) I watch a movie on a DVD on my laptop with my husband, usually its a foreign language movie to help him practice his language studies .
I do (once a week for no more than 30 min) let my kids view a Dora video borrowed from the library on the computer monitor screen.
I am MO/ sephardic (sephardic by marriage).
I don't have a TV because to me its a big drain on my time and a waste, and I think its not healthy for the kids to watch it. I do watch TV when visiting my parents' house, because its like a vacation and I have less demands on my time. I wouldn't buy it for my house still.

miriamnechama

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:34 am
as a girl I had a tv and watched alot of my favourite stuff, more after hsabbos, but now I watch on teh computer...

shosh

Post Sat, May 31 2008, 5:19 pm
I grew up with TV, but gave it all up when I got married. I read the BBC news on line, but I would never actually watch TV. I wouldn't want my kids to watch it either. I think there's so much there that is against our values. And if we are trying so hard to give our kids certain values, I don't think it's a good idea to then let opposing values into the home through the TV/computer.

I only let my kids watch chareidi movies. Just very occasionally, when no one's home, I might listen to a BBC radio play. But I more often than not did it when I was under a lot of stress and haven't done even that for a long time.

freidasima

Post Sat, May 31 2008, 6:05 pm
I grew up with a TV, I have a TV and I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you know how to use the "off" button.

We don't have little kids anymore but when they were younger they would watch, but especially videos of children's TV shows which my parents would bring from America on their trips. Things like Captain Kangaroo, and children's movies and especially the good animated ones. I never saw it as a problem, and to this day if something shmutzig comes on, people know to change channels.

there is a tremendous amount of good that one can get from TV, but again, it's not for everyone or everyone's life style and I can respect those who don't want to have it in the house...it never became an obsession in this house, for me personally, I maybe watch 10 hours a year, only more if it is a war, chas vesholom, and I never put it on of my own volition. But dh uses it as a sleeping pill, he can snooze so well in front of it late at night, flipping channels in his sleep. Most often I find it turned to something in Russian, Spanish, Turkish and he is snoring away...when I wake him to go to the bedroom (like 20 steps down the hall, but at his age he needs strength to move from one place to another) and I say "turkish" and he looks at me like I am crazy, he really flips channels in his sleep..

The kids - today there is a lot of junk on and for little kids I can understand those who don't want to have it on. But again, for very little kids there are good baby programs that teach reading and writing and even english (we are in EY remember) spanish or arabic for little kids, that's fine with me.

Again, know how to use the "off" button. But if you want to watch clean, there is the nature channel, which is gorgeous, I see it sometimes as I walk by, the kids love it, there is the history channel, the news channels, the shopping channel, the food channel, BBC prime, hallmark (which we call "schmaltzmark") and the baby channel for kids up to the age of four or five, which is so sweet...

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, May 31 2008, 11:08 pm
I have a device called a TV, but it's only used for videos/dvds. I just found I got less and less interested in tv especially once I was in grad school. I was very busy and enjoyed other things more.

After a long hiatus, I caught some actual TV once when I was in the hospital for almost a month. I was nauseous either from the untznius-keit or the stupidity. I was bored after a day.

My kids watch frum videos, and carefully selected Little Einstein's episodes. And I still have a tayva for Law & Order...boy is that harder. Harder than giving up shrimp.

Raizle

Post Sat, May 31 2008, 11:30 pm
there is no poll option for no TV
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics