Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do you have a tv....?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

do you...
watch tv/movies at home and elsewhere?  
 37%  [ 36 ]
watch tv/movies elsewhere only?  
 6%  [ 6 ]
watch tv/movies on your computer?  
 41%  [ 40 ]
know what a tv show or movie is? (not watch TV/movies, haha)  
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 96

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:11 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I have a device called a TV, but it's only used for videos/dvds. I just found I got less and less interested in tv especially once I was in grad school. I was very busy and enjoyed other things more.

After a long hiatus, I caught some actual TV once when I was in the hospital for almost a month. I was nauseous either from the untznius-keit or the stupidity. I was bored after a day.

My kids watch frum videos, and carefully selected Little Einstein's episodes. And I still have a tayva for Law & Order...boy is that harder. Harder than giving up shrimp.

we have a dvd/video monitor. (and several computers that technically we could watch dvds on) Where I live you have to pay soemthing called a tv license fee every year. its about $100-200. every once in a while an inspector comes round to see if the people who don't have tv licenses are really hiding a tv. We had to take our machine to a shop and have the tv reception thing removed so we wouldn't have to pay the license fee. not using it ever as a tv wasn't enough! dh even had to spend a day in court about this. Rolling Eyes

catonmylap

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:22 am
Our tv only gets reception of one channel.

We download tv shows and watch them using the dvd player usually, or watch straight from the computer.

I have zero patience for commercials; I don't know how you deal with regular tv without a tivo.

We are way too addicted, but it is at least something dh and I enjoy doing together.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 8:17 am
Raizle wrote:
there is no poll option for no TV

the last one is not having one

lubmommy

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 10:27 am
I don't have a tv but very rarely watch something on my laptop because I just don't have time. I grew up with tv so it is a big "comfort" tool for me. When I do have a big taivah to watch I'll go to imamother instead! LOL LOL LOL

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 10:47 am
Raisin wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I have a device called a TV, but it's only used for videos/dvds. I just found I got less and less interested in tv especially once I was in grad school. I was very busy and enjoyed other things more.

After a long hiatus, I caught some actual TV once when I was in the hospital for almost a month. I was nauseous either from the untznius-keit or the stupidity. I was bored after a day.

My kids watch frum videos, and carefully selected Little Einstein's episodes. And I still have a tayva for Law & Order...boy is that harder. Harder than giving up shrimp.

we have a dvd/video monitor. (and several computers that technically we could watch dvds on) Where I live you have to pay soemthing called a tv license fee every year. its about $100-200. every once in a while an inspector comes round to see if the people who don't have tv licenses are really hiding a tv. We had to take our machine to a shop and have the tv reception thing removed so we wouldn't have to pay the license fee. not using it ever as a tv wasn't enough! dh even had to spend a day in court about this. Rolling Eyes

Seriously?! Wow.

We get an inspector round here every few years, but they don't ask to investigate or anything; I guess where I live it's pretty common to not have a TV.

Our monitor can actually receive TV in theory, but we don't have an aerial. We actually only bought it around 6 months ago, and got a really good deal because it was one of the few monitors in the shop that are not set up to receive digital TV pictures, so no-one wants this type anymore.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:28 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Raizle wrote:
there is no poll option for no TV

the last one is not having one
no it's not. maybe you meant to add it but it got left off?

since there is no poll option as already mentioned, for those who don't have TVs, it's not true that the majority watch TV.
you didn't give us the option of voting.
the last one asks if I know what a tv show or movie is.
I do know but I still don't have a TV.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:35 pm
well it seems the post I quoted disappeared.

I'm still concerned about the message of this thread. Op seems to be trying to prove that the majority of members here own TVs and so the OP of the other thread has no claim on asking for movie topics to be hidden.

first of all polls are never accurate

second of all this one is RIGGED. There is way you can prove from this poll that the majority have because there is no minority to compare against in the actual poll Confused Confused Confused

so since I see there is a mod working on this thread right now, you want to do something about this?

cassandra

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:38 pm
The last option was worded in a humorous way. If the humor was too subtle for those of you who don't watch TV, maybe yoma can edit.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:39 pm
well I for one don't get it.
call me square if you like but as I said, if I answer that yes I do know what a tv or movie is then how is that saying that I don't own one? Confused

cassandra

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:43 pm
Because if you own one then you know what a tv is. All the other options include the last one, so the only way that the last option can exist and not be redundant is if it excludes all the other options, hence you arrive at an option that means that you know what it is but do not own or watch.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:45 pm
I edited the poll so that those posters who are not as brilliant as Cassandra would also be able to vote intelligently. LOL

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:51 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
I edited the poll so that those posters who are not as brilliant as Cassandra would also be able to vote intelligently. LOL

hey are you insulting my inteligence?

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:52 pm
Yup.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:53 pm
You should know, I just choked on a pepper after I hit "submit". So I'm sorry.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 6:38 pm
EstiS wrote:
well I for one don't get it.
call me square if you like but as I said, if I answer that yes I do know what a tv or movie is then how is that saying that I don't own one? Confused

What is a tv or movie? Are they those things people call the box? and movies films?

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 6:45 pm
well we know what tv/movies are clearly...

but we don't own them, or watch them inside the house or otherwise. I should add that we do have Farbrengens, and "Rebbe videos" for our kids. I don't know what that counts as, since it's only Chassidus...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:08 pm
I'm glad some pple get my humor LOL .
Real life is stressful enough, lighten up!!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:09 pm
Yo'ma-keep working on it, someday they will all get it.

AGINY

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:10 pm
I watch my three shows, House, Grey's Anatomy and Brothers & Sisters on my laptop. I hope I am not put in cherem! Wink

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:11 pm
For a second I thought you wrote "Full House" and yes, I was about to put you in cherem. LOL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics