Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Reason we sit in a sukka

What type of sukka do you have?
Wooden/canvas sukka  
 88%  [ 31 ]
On your balcony/mirpeset  
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 35

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 5:48 pm
We learn that we go out and eat/sleep in the sukka because of the annaney hakovod which protected us, to remember that we were protected in the midbar

What do we teach our children if so many have a built in sukka in the house?
My friend told me her dc asked her where the sukka is, as thd pictures of sukkas they colour are wooden huts.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 5:51 pm
Canvas sukka on my balcony. It's not built in. I can't vote as mine is both options (and I see no option for built in which I assume you are trying to find out how many have that)

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 6:18 pm
Not understanding these poll options or how they relate to the OP.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 7:49 pm
I taught my toddler when we sit in the Sukkah, Hashem is giving us a hug. I had to point out to her the schach and show her this means a Sukkah. She definitely was confused because the indoor Sukkah didn't look like the Sukkah of the pictures at all.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 8:14 pm
The poll doesn’t make sense because many (if not most?) people have a canvas or wooden sukkah on their balcony so they’d have to vote for both options and there’s no option for people who have it in their yard or in their house. Perhaps revise?

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 8:21 pm
Where are these indoor sukkahs? Where
I live everyone had outdoor

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 8:52 pm
Balcony sukkas are just as valid. Let's not make this a big deal.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 11:04 pm
OP, what about people who make a canvas or wood suka ON their mirpeset? That is NOT considered inside at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 2:39 am
Sorry, didn't get the poll how I wanted it. Still learning how to do it properly. But that shouldn't matter.

Where I live in the UK more and more people have built in sukkas where you have just a roof to open in one of the rooms. So you basically sit inside your house, breakfast room or so which is the sukka.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 3:45 am
So a sukkah like that is convenient both in terms of warmth and of weather, but doesn't have the same feeling as leaving your house and going into a separate structure. When I lived in England we had a sukkah that we put up in the back garden, like almost all our friends.

For little children the ceiling is a long way off, whatever it is made of, and it's hard to u understand that a room in your house is suddenly designated a sukkah, and how that change has come about. Most sukkah are wooden or canvas huts, so it makes sense that that is what's in the pictures. As a child gets older they can understand that the defining factor is the schach. For next year I would try going all out with sukkah decorations, to try to give the room a different atmosphere. If you can, take her to visit a 'real' wooden hut sukkah.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:00 am
The only places I've ever seen these indoor sukkas was in England and in Australia. I agree it doesn't feel much like sukkos.
Where I live everyone has outdoor sukkas built wherever there's room, a porch a backyard, on the front driveway.....

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 12:12 am
I saw such a thing only once, in a house owned by a shul for the rabbi to live in. It's basically a sliding roof in the dining room, like the sliding roofs used in wedding halls to allow the chuppah to be under the sky while the guests sit pretty in the chapel.

I don't know that it's exactly defeating the purpose. In a way I think it requires even greater faith, since you're leaving your house open to the elements both environmental and human and you trust G-d to keep everything and everyone safe. After all, if the mechanism that retracts the roof is motorized, you can't close it off after meals on YT and Shabbos Chol Hamoed unless you employ a Shabbos guy, and if it's manual, you may not be able to close it off in time to prevent damage if there's a sudden cloudburst. So it seems pretty ffy to me, much more so than a conventional sukkah. It is also, I imagine, rather costly, and probably detracts from the resale value of the house unless it's sold to another frum Jew who is interested in such a thing. Most people wouldn't be, I think, since anything with moving parts is bound to malfunction. OTOH, if the owners are elderly and have no one to build a sukkah for them, this could be an ideal solution--assuming that nothing goes wrong with the sliding roof.

As for being comfortable in terms of warmth and weather, opening up the roof of your house for even a short while will definitely let in the rain and the cold. I don't see anyone objecting to big hotel sukkahs with their giant blowers and heat lamps .

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 5:17 am
amother Poppy wrote:
Balcony sukkas are just as valid. Let's not make this a big deal.

So it's about balcony succahs, not dining rooms with a sliding sun window?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 5:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Sorry, didn't get the poll how I wanted it. Still learning how to do it properly. But that shouldn't matter.

Where I live in the UK more and more people have built in sukkas where you have just a roof to open in one of the rooms. So you basically sit inside your house, breakfast room or so which is the sukka.

Ah, had a hunch. I have a friend who grew up with that. Somehow the doros are extremely ehrlich.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics