Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
What will pull them to shul

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 2:31 am
So I still live in this town, with no mikvah, no Jewish school, no daily minyan (only once in the two weeks and sometimes on YT bh we had all the minyanim on the first two days sukkos!) so we have nothing ok.

There is an idea to make a Shabbaton for people to push them to shul in January. And we spoke about it last Tuesday how to do it. We don't know why people aren't coming to shul for shabbos. I think I will ask (if I get permission) to give out a questionnaire. Just to pull them to shul.
I can tell you the body of our community and the people who are coming (mostly at Chanukah and Purim parties).

So we first have the Israelis who live in the area, for them shul is not a priority because they feel that because they are Israeli and therefore Jewish and so there is no need to go to shul. Most of them are intermarried and come only on a yahrzeit. They donate money but aren't members of the shul because they have insurance to be buried in Israel.
The Israelis are a clique and don't generally mix with the Dutch crowd.

Then we have the Jewish men and women who live in the area who are Dutch and halachilly Jewish but not observing and really far away from Yiddishkeit in general. Most if not all have intermarried (like my mother). Some come regularly some we see hardly going to shul.
Like I know my mom can't follow the shul service because it is all in Lashon Kodesh and she doesn't read not speak it and due to her severe dyslexia she gets confused by transliterations it's for her too long. She will rather go to a protestant Dutch service than to a shul (my grandfather was protestant) and sometimes the shliach speaks in English which she also doesn't understand... I think she is not the only one, who feels this way if shul is a service where u can't read or know anything you say.

Anyhoo the ideas for a shabbaton are so far:
-Having beautiful chazzanut
- lectures by guest speakers (and I think there must be in lots in Dutch)
- Q and A like Rav Breitowiz of Ohr Shomaych

Also, my thing is that it must be like Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis's message at madisons square it must be emphasized what it means to be a Jew.

Hope u can help me out

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 2:40 am
I think an activity that caters to children is more likely to draw Jews to shul than the things you proposed. A lot of unaffiliated Jews aren't so into going to shul, but they want their kids to be Jewish and have the fundamentals of the religion under their belt.

salt

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 2:48 am
If you say that most of the Jews are coming at Chanuka and Purim parties - is it good food that will draw them?
I would say very dynamic speakers and a BIG kiddush/lunch.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 3:33 am
salt wrote:
If you say that most of the Jews are coming at Chanuka and Purim parties - is it good food that will draw them?
I would say very dynamic speakers and a BIG kiddush/lunch.

There is always food, we always end everything with lunch and kiddush with plenty of food, I sometimes think the food can be better. Food doesn't reallly draw I guess. I think way more community.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 3:33 am
DrMom wrote:
I think an activity that caters to children is more likely to draw Jews to shul than the things you proposed. A lot of unaffiliated Jews aren't so into going to shul, but they want their kids to be Jewish and have the fundamentals of the religion under their belt.

There is a kidsclub, but most people who are member of the shul have or non Jewish children or children who are in their 20s/30s and even 40s and have their own lives.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 3:54 am
It's a sorry situation and I feel for you.

Aurora

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 4:56 am
What jumped out at me is that you wrote that it's a service that a lot of the local Jews don't connect to or understand because of the language.

Maybe either (a) see if there are way to offer parts of the services in translation (ask rabbi???) (b) run a modified "beginner's service" and/or (c) start giving classes on the meanings and significance of the different parts of the services? Hebrew is one thing, and rabbinic & poetic Hebrew is another level of understanding again.

realtalk

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 7:12 am
Does your shul have any other weekly or monthly events besides services and the big annual events?

Having davening in a language people understand is also a big one.

Kids programs, don’t discriminate as to whether or not the kids are Jewish. It’s worth it to have the Jewish parent come.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 9:49 am
Aurora wrote:
What jumped out at me is that you wrote that it's a service that a lot of the local Jews don't connect to or understand because of the language.

Maybe either (a) see if there are way to offer parts of the services in translation (ask rabbi???) (b) run a modified "beginner's service" and/or (c) start giving classes on the meanings and significance of the different parts of the services? Hebrew is one thing, and rabbinic & poetic Hebrew is another level of understanding again.
My assumption is that they don't go because of the language and don't have any feeling to the davening itself. Shabbos is always starting at 09:30 in the morning with tefilos then kiddush with lunch and then go. There are no classes there was one but the shliach is now way too busy and the slucha has the kids (as in, she can give classes if she wants but her husband is now busy with an extra course and he has two side jobs). Also it is not a beis chabad. Really they are paid by the board and the board lives in Amsterdam area and the sluchim can't do really anything without the board.

Aurora

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 9:53 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
My assumption is that they don't go because of the language and don't have any feeling to the davening itself. Shabbos is always starting at 09:30 in the morning with tefilos then kiddush with lunch and then go. There are no classes there was one but the shliach is now way too busy and the slucha has the kids (as in, she can give classes if she wants but her husband is now busy with an extra course and he has two side jobs). Also it is not a beis chabad. Really they are paid by the board and the board lives in Amsterdam area and the sluchim can't do really anything without the board.

Is there a way to get the board to sponsor classes over zoom during a weeknight? Would you feel comfortable giving a class like that?

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 9:55 am
realtalk wrote:
Does your shul have any other weekly or monthly events besides services and the big annual events?

Having davening in a language people understand is also a big one.

Kids programs, don’t discriminate as to whether or not the kids are Jewish. It’s worth it to have the Jewish parent come.

No, they don't have monthly events or weekly events I don't know if it was easy lots of things wear off. Such as a JLI program, Hebrew/Dutch language exchange it also doesn't help that the sluchim have to drive a lot from and to Amsterdam and now also Antwerp and have little kids, and have extra side jobs to do. The issue with the kid's program is that you actively teach Torah and that is assur for kids who are not Jewish according to halacha.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 10:54 am
Chickensoupprof, looks like you live in a spiritual desert so to say.
It's very very tough. BTDT.

Goldie613

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 8:38 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
No, they don't have monthly events or weekly events I don't know if it was easy lots of things wear off. Such as a JLI program, Hebrew/Dutch language exchange it also doesn't help that the sluchim have to drive a lot from and to Amsterdam and now also Antwerp and have little kids, and have extra side jobs to do. The issue with the kid's program is that you actively teach Torah and that is assur for kids who are not Jewish according to halacha.

I don't know the details of this, but I would assume that there are "do's and don'ts" to this like in other areas of halacha.

It may be that you can't teach them halacha, but having them come in for a chanukah party and spinning dreidels are fine. Shabbos parties where they have snacks and eat challah and grape juice could be another idea. Challah baking as a kid/parent activity? Depending the age, having trivia games about Israel or Jewish history, putting on a play about respecting others (middos), or putting together a choir that sings at nursing homes or for a community show could all work, without touching on halacha or even Torah too much. It's a 'foot in the door' kind of approach.

But, yes, consult your Rav as to what can and can't be taught.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 2:59 am
Its really hard. I think this generation are just so much more secular and there are also so many competing things to shul.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics