Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do pple feel the need to think up a nickname?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:27 am
I always thought nicknames should just flow, whatever comes up. If you think up of a nickname, I think you might as well name the baby that. I know it's not the same thing as the actual name, but nicknames aren't supposed to have much thought put into it. Watcha think?

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:29 am
- because people name after someone who had a nick
- because people don't like the name
- because they don't want to shout "Yirmiyahu! come here!" on the playground (complicated names)

Apart from that, basically I agree with you.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:33 am
Ruchel wrote:
- because people name after someone who had a nick
- because people don't like the name
- because they don't want to shout "Yirmiyahu! come here!" on the playground (complicated names)

Apart from that, basically I agree with you.

I didn't say call them by a nickname, I said have a thought process about it. One of my sister's kids name is Yosef Asher and she calls him, Joshy. She didn't decide it, it just came to be.

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:43 am
I agree that nicknames should flow, but I do know some people who make negative choices about nicknames before the kid is born. What I mean is, if someone names their son William and loves the nicknames Will or Willy but hates Bill or Billy, they may want to push it it in the other direction.

drumjj

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:49 am
I dont understand why u would think of a nickname even before the child is born, I mean dont u name and child to use that name or at least part of that name. and isnt the name u name them supposed to be siyata dishmaya and therefore u should really call ur child it anyway?

greenfire

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:50 am
well I think if you don't like a name ... don't name your kid that name :idea and to search for a nickname doesn't really make it a nickname - so I hear ya - a nickname is a term of endearment ... imo

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:59 am
greenfire wrote:
well I think if you don't like a name ... don't name your kid that name

lol what if you want to name for aunt Gnendel?

mandksima

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:14 am
I have to admit that I love my DS's nickname and never call him his real name. Yet. I assume when he's older the teachers will use his real name. He's just such a ----------- (insert nickname here)! It's so him. I don't even like his real name so much, the first name is just the full name from the nickname that we loved and the second name is my zeide who he's named after. I know some people are very into only using full names but we are very into nicknames. My DD also uses her nickname 90% of the time although I love her full name also. We did think of it though after she was named. I just don't like boy names much and I couldn't find one to use until I heard the nickname. To each his own...

freidasima

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:17 am
I have nicknames for all the kids and a love name for dh who I almost never call by name.
However I know people who on principle give their children names which can't be shortened or made easily into nicknames (usually people of a certain very rigid background or personality)...I find it sad. Nicknames are something that show a certain love and familiarity and certainly when parents give nicknames to their children...
Some kids are even embarrased when they are younger by silly nicknames, as was one of my girls, but now that she is older as she says, I'm the only one in the whole world who calls her that and when I am gone no one in the world ever will again...

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:27 am
I so hated many of my nicknames as a kid because they didn't sound grown up enough... now I like them for that LOL

I'm under the impression that being "machmir" about using the whole name all the time is also a new chumra. The chassidim in my family used either nicknames, or the first name (like Yaakov Moshe would be Yaakov).

louche

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:32 am
yo'ma wrote:
I always thought nicknames should just flow, whatever comes up. If you think up of a nickname, I think you might as well name the baby that. I know it's not the same thing as the actual name, but nicknames aren't supposed to have much thought put into it. Watcha think?

I'm with you.
We picked short, simple names that we liked that we could just use and wouldn't "have to" shorten or lengthen or take in or let out or otherwise alter.

Of course all sorts of rogue aliases cropped up over the years, ranging from the straightforward to the humorous to the downright bizarre, but as you say, they just flowed. We can no longer even recall most of them, for which fact our children are no doubt grateful.

One summer when I was in camp the counselor decided we all had to use our nicknames. My clueless ignorant parents not only didn't give me a middle name that I could be properly humiliated with, they didn't give me a nickname, either. I made one up because at that time Women's Lib hadn't yet been invented and I had no idea that I had the right to refuse treatment I considered unfair or offensive. IOW, I was a model obedient camper.

Anyway, this explains why somewhere in this country there are 8 or 10 women who are under the impression that my name is "Binky". LOL

freidasima

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:35 am
What do you think of parents who not only don't give a child a middle name but instead they just give him a middle initial, like Harry S. Truman?
I know someone like that and I always thought his parents were a bit crazy.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:37 am
drumjj wrote:
I dont understand why u would think of a nickname even before the child is born, I mean dont u name and child to use that name or at least part of that name.

yes. Part of it. I started a thread yesterday on nicknames for Yisroel for example. It was my grandfathers name, and I am not keen on calling my son a three syllable name that im not in love with. But I feel that using the name is the "right thing to do" even if im not in love with it, because it will iy"h be the first grandson.
drumjj wrote:

and isnt the name u name them supposed to be siyata dishmaya and therefore u should really call ur child it anyway?

??
My husband goes by his second name, I think just because its shorter than his first and his grandmother called him that as a baby and it just stuck.
I go by a nickname for my name (like "shani" for "shoshana" something like that)
my father has a name where he goes by the syllables of it (like Yakov Yosef and goes by "JJ")
I dont think any of these "scenarios" are "wrong" per say>>it doesnt say anywhere you "should" call your kid by x name because that is what they were named by their bris/ is on their birth certif.

greenfire wrote:
well I think if you don't like a name ... don't name your kid that name

In my specific case, (so im just explaining a point of view), its not that I dont like the name per say, its that its three syllables and I would like to have some ideas of options of shorter stuff that can be used in its stead. It certainly wouldnt b my first choice of a name, but I am ok with using it.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:38 am
I know someone who decided her dd looked like a _________ (insert nickname) before she was even born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess it was from the 3d sonogram she took. Rolling Eyes Btw, the nickname has NOTHING to do with the original name!

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:11 am
I am one of those against nicknames. I don't like the sound of them. Too bad for me everyone started called my Binyomin - BinYUMMY. At least it's better than Benny.

louche

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:13 am
freidasima wrote:
What do you think of parents who not only don't give a child a middle name but instead they just give him a middle initial, like Harry S. Truman?
I know someone like that and I always thought his parents were a bit crazy.

I know someone like that, too. Not crazy, just not assertive. You have a form, it asks for a middle initial, you think if the kid has no middle initial he'll be hounded by the authorities for the rest of his life, you stick something in there. The authorities never ask for a middle name, just a middle initial.

Actually I think it's a great idea, because then the kid can choose his own middle name if he so desires. Warning: letters like Q, X, Z make it very difficult to find a "normal" middle name, even though they make it highly unlikley that there will ever be another person with the same Firstname MI Lastname combo in his class, workplace or planet. No chance of ever going thru this scenario:

Mira: I went out with Snidely Whiplash last night. What a dweeb.
Kira: Hey, Snidely Whiplash is my cousin!
Mira: Can't be. Snidely Q Whiplash?
Kira: The very same.
Mira: I don't believe it. Snidely Quigley Whiplash is your cousin?
Kira: Oh, THAT Snidely Q Whiplash! No, that's another guy, no relation. My cousin is Snidely Quincy Whiplash. Whew.

freidasima

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:41 am
louche, as usually you have me in stitches!

But what about if the guy never chooses a middle names and goes through his whole life with this initial?! That's nuts...but to each their own...it's always guys I think, never heard of a girl with only an initial...

Atali

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 11:01 am
One of my children doesn't have a middle name at all, and no one has ever given us problems with it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 11:03 am
In France we don't do middle name. You have firstname, second firstname, third firstname... [go on as you wish, but generally less than 6] then surname.

louche

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 12:04 pm
[quote="freidasima"]louche, as usually you have me in stitches!

But what about if the guy never chooses a middle names and goes through his whole life with this initial?! That's nuts...quote]

Then that single letter IS the name. possibly Southeast Asian. Many Asians have two-letter names like An, Li, and Ng. A single letter could be the short form. Maximilian segued into Max and Samuel to Sam, so why can't An become A and Ng become N?

I don't advise using a solo "S" as a name, though. Depending on one's accent, that could be misconstrued.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics