Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying with a doona?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 9:54 pm
Anyone ever flew with a doona and used it on the plane? Please share your experience
Or what did you use if you bought a seat for baby

synthy

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 10:08 pm
I flew with a doona but left it in the front. There was another woman on the plane who used it as a seat, and she said she's not doing it for the return flight. Its a huge klutz and doesn't fit thru the aisles, she had to hold it up folded with baby inside all the way to her seat (which was in the back of the plane).

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 10:09 pm
Many times. That's the whole point of paying for a doona, to use while traveling. After all its a carseat...
I bring it up to the gate regardless and ask the desk if there's an extra seat, if so can I have it for the carseat (this is if I didn't book for the baby under 2)
Every time there was an extra seat they've been happy
Otherwise I gate check
You do have to tell flight attendants that it's a carswat FAA compatible
And it only fits in the aisles in the newer aircraft
Super easy and smooth to use otherwise
I've used cosco scenera for older baby or toddler bc it's super lightweight for travel, attached to like baby goz straps

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 10:26 pm
Yes! Wheeled it right onto the plain and easily took it through the aisle to baby’s seat. Many times and it was a pleasure.

(One flight attendant gave me problems because she thought it was a stroller and couldn’t believe it turned into a regular car seat. Misunderstanding was quickly sorted out though with some amusement.)

Sara B.

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 10:35 pm
It fit nicely on seat on American Airlines. Did not fit on seat on Spirit Airlines.

rising hero

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 11:35 pm
I recently flew with jet blue and they only allowed car seats by a window seat.

m-u-a-mama

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 11:46 pm
Did not fit on united business, premium plus, economy plus, or economy... we fly a LOT and it never fit in the aisles of united but it's kdai for the convenience of not holding baby the whole flight... Mechaya if it's an option for you
And yes there are times you have to demonstrate the folding capabilities but that's usually all that trouble they give you
The few times we've flown other airlines I think it's fit (American and possibly Delta but it's been a while)

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 11:55 pm
I bought a seat because I didn’t want to send it below. It’s not safe in case it’s bashed around.

It fit down the aisles of delta, American, and JetBlue. Those are the 3 I used it on.
Super convenient.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:03 am
My experience…they don’t allow it in upper class, which was horrible since I paid for a seat for my baby but couldn’t use it, had to hold her the whole time.
In premium economy it works the best, since the aisles are bigger there so it wheels till the seat etc.
In reg economy depends on the plane, but I found that in the right position it can go in most of the overhead bins, so I always take it with me and either use it or store above for easy access .

They do want to see the flying approved sticker on it which is only on the newer models. Google for location of label.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:09 am
rising hero wrote:
I recently flew with jet blue and they only allowed car seats by a window seat.

It’s all airlines.
The point is that it’s not blocking you exit the plane in case of emergency.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:25 am
Just curious why would people want their babies in a car seat a whole flight ? Won't they scream? Isn't baby more comfortable if your holding them ?

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:29 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Just curious why would people want their babies in a car seat a whole flight ? Won't they scream? Isn't baby more comfortable if your holding them ?

Nope. A sleeping baby is better off in a seat.
And a calm baby can eat or play in the Dona while the mothers hands get a break.

rising hero

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:39 am
amother Apricot wrote:
It’s all airlines.
The point is that it’s not blocking you exit the plane in case of emergency.

Oh didnt know that. Makes sense.
But on full flights the tickets would need to be purchased in advanced, not at the gate like someone posted upthread.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:42 am
rising hero wrote:
Oh didnt know that. Makes sense.
But on full flights the tickets would need to be purchased in advanced, not at the gate like someone posted upthread.

People aren’t purchasing tickets at the gate.
They’re taking a gamble that if there is an extra seat they will be allowed to use it for free if they request it.
Sometimes it works and other times hey just check in their doona at that time.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:42 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Nope. A sleeping baby is better off in a seat.
And a calm baby can eat or play in the Dona while the mothers hands get a break.

Wrong post quoted

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:44 am
amother RosePink wrote:

Have you EVER flown for more than 3-4 consecutive hours? I dont even understand how this is a question.

rising hero

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:44 am
doodlesmom wrote:
People aren’t purchasing tickets at the gate.
They’re taking a gamble that if there is an extra seat they will be allowed to use it for free if they request it.
Sometimes it works and other times hey just check in their doona at that time.

Got it. Thats how we tried to do it once and that how we learned. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics