Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
School doesn't back its teachers

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:53 am
What do you do in situations like this?
I work in a few departments. My kids are in other departments. I have such respect for his much my kids principal stands up for their teachers even though I may disagree with some decisions when we meet. The sincerity of the way they care for their staff is amazing. In one department I work in, they too are there for the teachers and back us up. The other? A parent complains and without any discussion, move classes around. It feels so disgusting that a weak child parent complains about something and principal just switches around classes like charades (demotion) after all that has been done/given for them.
Kinda venting but it's not right.

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 12:57 am
I'm sorry Sad sounds a little extreme how they move things around for parents

In this other hand, I know a principal who backs her teachers to such an extent that she doesn't take parents seriously... And the parents feel it and resent it.

Hard to strike perfect balance

tweety1

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 1:21 am
I used to work in a school where the mother was always right no matter what. The child could've been a real challenge in every way buy the teachers had to suffer. It was very tough. I ultimately left because I ended up with such a student. No matter what I did I was always on the wrong. I had many years experience. This mother specifically requested for me. Drove the school crazy because she needed her kid in my class only.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 7:38 am
I think it needs to be a balance and not always on one side over another. At the end of the day we're there for the kids. Some children do work better with some teachers and it's not a reflection on the teacher, but rather the learning style of the child.
I think a good principal should be making an educated decision, hearing the view of the parents, view of the teachers and making an informed decision taking both views into account.
Things are never so clear cut.
But as a teacher, I like to know management is behind me. That doesn't mean they always have to listen to me and what I think, but I would want to feel like they have my back.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 7:55 am
You need a balance. The reverse is just as bad. I had a teacher physically and emotionally hurt my kid and the principal backed them up. My kid was 4. It was insane and not the time for it. I left the school obviously.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics