Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
I have just deleted my Facebook account

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:15 pm
(I actually wrote this this morning, but posting it only now.)

I have just deleted my Facebook account.

It was the last straw.

Last night, I got into an argument with my husband.
Thank Gd I did not eat over it (I was this close), but I did start watching reels and videos on Facebook. With a short (30-45 min?) interruption for my children, and with a short (45 min?) foray onto YouTube on my other device, I stayed on Facebook all night until past 5am, first pushing down the emotional pain then just because I guess.

Woke up around 7:20am - that's about 2 hours of sleep, for whoever's not counting.
Feel blank, yesterday's argument forgotten. Or, to be more precise, below conscious awareness.
What was it I was so angry and closed about?
Oh yeah.

I could have called someone to talk, or journaled.
My feelings were very painful.
I could have tried to understand, gone within myself, gotten insight and clarity.

I could have made peace with my husband, perhaps.

It was a lost opportunity.

Another lost opportunity.

I can't manage it, it looks like.
As long as Facebook is on my phone, it's just too easy of an escape.
(And I can't just delete the app either - the phone won't let. If that would even help. So I have to delete my account.)

There's nothing on Facebook I really need.
I joined it reluctantly, only within the last year, only for Laura Doyle's Surrendered Wife groups, because I was desperate for the support - and she has since moved to a different platform. (And even before she moved, I had started spending my time on other things and mostly ignoring her posts.)

I don't use Facebook for social media. Only for my TV addiction, which thankfully had been in remission for a long time.

But now it's back.

I've been considering deleting my account for a while.

It's not a full solution (think YouTube, imamother, ...who knows what else?). But it's the right move.

While deleting my account, I could not remember my password.

One try. Two, three. Would I have to reset my password and then come back here to delete?

I closed my eyes and thought about it: Where was I when I chose my password? These days, I try to select a password that expresses relevant thoughts, a prayer or an affirmation. I tried "ILoveMyHusband1". Yes, that was it. How ironic.

Facebook says the account can be re-activated within 30 days of deleting it. I don't want it to be open to reactivation. Is there a way to delete it permanently right now? ...Maybe I'll google it.

Even so, thank You Hashem!, the deed is done.

effess

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:20 pm
This made me cry.
You are strong and you write so beautifully. I feel you through your words, or maybe I can relate in a small way.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:22 pm
I hope you find peace in your life. And you continue your self growth process.
Your very aware of yourself which is a gift.
I find when I can't find that person to speak with and I need a pick me up I listen to podcasts of speakers that spark joy in my life. (usually rabbi Jacobson, Dr Becky Kennedy...)
Sometimes I come on here..
But give myself a limit.

hodeez

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:25 pm
So proud of you what strength!

honeymoon

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:26 pm
You are a strong woman. May things only get better from here, and I pray you learn to find other means of processing your pain in a healthier way.

Lashes

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:27 pm
Wow, I'm so proud!! No words!!!!

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:29 pm
What does Facebook have to do with tv?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
(I actually wrote this this morning, but posting it only now.)

I have just deleted my Facebook account.

It was the last straw.

Last night, I got into an argument with my husband.
Thank Gd I did not eat over it (I was this close), but I did start watching reels and videos on Facebook. With a short (30-45 min?) interruption for my children, and with a short (45 min?) foray onto YouTube on my other device, I stayed on Facebook all night until past 5am, first pushing down the emotional pain then just because I guess.

Woke up around 7:20am - that's about 2 hours of sleep, for whoever's not counting.
Feel blank, yesterday's argument forgotten. Or, to be more precise, below conscious awareness.
What was it I was so angry and closed about?
Oh yeah.

I could have called someone to talk, or journaled.
My feelings were very painful.
I could have tried to understand, gone within myself, gotten insight and clarity.

I could have made peace with my husband, perhaps.

It was a lost opportunity.

Another lost opportunity.

I can't manage it, it looks like.
As long as Facebook is on my phone, it's just too easy of an escape.
(And I can't just delete the app either - the phone won't let. If that would even help. So I have to delete my account.)

There's nothing on Facebook I really need.
I joined it reluctantly, only within the last year, only for Laura Doyle's Surrendered Wife groups, because I was desperate for the support - and she has since moved to a different platform. (And even before she moved, I had started spending my time on other things and mostly ignoring her posts.)

I don't use Facebook for social media. Only for my TV addiction, which thankfully had been in remission for a long time.

But now it's back.

I've been considering deleting my account for a while.

It's not a full solution (think YouTube, imamother, ...who knows what else?). But it's the right move.

While deleting my account, I could not remember my password.

One try. Two, three. Would I have to reset my password and then come back here to delete?

I closed my eyes and thought about it: Where was I when I chose my password? These days, I try to select a password that expresses relevant thoughts, a prayer or an affirmation. I tried "ILoveMyHusband1". Yes, that was it. How ironic.

Facebook says the account can be re-activated within 30 days of deleting it. I don't want it to be open to reactivation. Is there a way to delete it permanently right now? ...Maybe I'll google it.

Even so, thank You Hashem!, the deed is done.

That’s great, OP! I admire you. I agree about how destructive fb is. I know one woman in her lates 50’s who posts the most inane things on fb. Ppl talk abt her behind her back abt how she posts her whole life on fb. It’s really embarrassing. I can see really young ppl being into it but someone older who feels the need to splash their life and every move they make on fb has serious probs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics