Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Student making noises
Previous  1  2

lamplighter

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:21 am
Can he chew gum? That's what I would do. Will help with the sensory oral input and lessen the noises.

Roots

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:35 am
I just want to say I think you are a great morah for reaching out and trying to help your student

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:50 am
[quote="Roots"]I just want to say I think you are a great morah for reaching out and trying to help your student[/quote

Aw thank you!

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:01 am
Have you spoken to the parents to see if this behavior occurs at home too?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:02 am
I’m in the process of figuring it out with admin and parents. Looking for more practical ideas for day to day in the classroom.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:11 am
I had a student like this. Tourettes (for him, that was what he had). I didnt know he had that diagnosis however I figured he had no control over it. I gave positive reinforcement for lots of things he did (ignored the tic) and figured by him being happy/safe in our environment, it would be easier for him to settle. Less stress = less tics.
Worked for us. Each child is different though.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 3:08 am
Those with tic experience, please tell me if I’m wrong. I don’t have experience with it (besides for learning about it in college).
I don’t think it’s tics/Tourette’s. It’s only in specific instances as I said above. I really do try to ignore it for the most part, so I don’t think he’s more stressed then those around him.

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 6:52 am
My son has a special allowance to use gum and it helps tremendously. The teachers hold onto it and discreetly offer it to him in the beginning of class. Gum is officially against school rules here but exceptions are made for kids that need it.

He's also seated on the side where he can stand and move around more freely. We tried a bouncy seat but he felt too "othered" by it. The solution would really be to have 5 or 6 in the classroom and rotate them so everyone can use them (with him using it the most) but that never really happened.

Also frequent short movement breaks (preferably whole class every half hour), sending him out on errands, ask him to carry books for you (heavy work) and really just ignoring it as much as possible. Poor child did not choose to be like this. Is there a school OT you can consult with as well?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 11:41 am
This was my pandas kid in the classroom before treatment. School wanted him evaluated for adhd, on meds, etc. Thankfully someone educated me about pandas and 2 months into treatment tics and hyperactivity were 95% gone.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't have a lot of experience with tics, but I really don't think that's the problem. these noises only happen in the classroom when I'm talking. If we're playing a game in class, or are out of class- I never see him do it.
In terms of toys- I can try the velcro/ toy thing but I usually let him do whatever he wants with his hands (coloring/doodling etc.) and it's the noises, not the movement, that are bothering me. I let him take breaks from class but I haven't seen them help at all.

tics can be tied to stress, etc.

they are not completely random, and there can be situations where they don't manifest as often.

Imagine having an itch, and it's more noticeable or present when you're sitting trying to listen to the teacher, instead of running around, moving around, etc when you are more free to scratch it or halt it or even not notice it. That's what tics are often like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics