Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Do you have screens on your windows?
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:03 am
This may differ from country to country and from different communities to the next community.

Even when we rented in a few places that had no screens we always put in.

I hate no screens. Then all the bugs fly in. I know someone who didnt have screens and she had a few incidents with birds in her bedroom. Not fun.

So if you dont have screens, can I ask why?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:12 am
I think rural areas need it more than the city.
In every place in the city I lived there were not screens. Only trissim. My bathroom doesn't even have a proper window, only glass trissim! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:26 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I think rural areas need it more than the city.
In every place in the city I lived there were not screens. Only trissim. My bathroom doesn't even have a proper window, only glass trissim! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It
And you never put them in to the places that didnt have screens?
We had such trissim in one of our mamads. That was crazy. We kept in closed the one year we lived in that place.
And I think its just as bad in some cities. I will never forget going to a cousin in haifa. She had no screens and there was a whole city worth of flies in her living room. It was awful.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:35 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And you never put them in to the places that didnt have screens?
We had such trissim in one of our mamads. That was crazy. We kept in closed the one year we lived in that place.
And I think its just as bad in some cities. I will never forget going to a cousin in haifa. She had no screens and there was a whole city worth of flies in her living room. It was awful.

I have never had a need for screens to be honest. No fly problem here.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:37 am
Noone has where we live. People here like lots of fresh air. You don't get the same breeze with screens.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:39 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Noone has where we live. People here like lots of fresh air. You don't get the same breeze with screens.
Interesting. Where I live its pretty windy. We get a LOT of wind, even with screens Smile

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:43 am
I can't imagine living without screens.

I grew up in Brooklyn and if I sat outside in the summer I would get bitten by mosquitos so plenty of bugs flying around.

Even in Manhattan there are flies and other bugs that come in.

And moths will come in because they are attracted to the lights inside.

And plenty of fresh air comes through a screen - have you ever sat in front of a window where there is cross ventilation so that air comes in through a screened window. I used to read in front of a screened window and the breeze was delightful - fresh night air but no bugs. LOL

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:55 am
No bug problem here but we have a serious rat problem in this city. Overflowing garbage cans where the lids don't shut because of the garbage bag bulk jumble of disposable plates and plastic cutlery, plastic table cloths and aluminium pans in a huge mess. So of course rats are attracted to it Rolling Eyes
No. It's not pretty at all. I hate it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:59 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
No bug problem here but we have a serious rat problem in this city. Overflowing garbage cans where the lids don't shut because of the garbage bag bulk jumble of disposable plates and plastic cutlery, plastic table cloths and aluminium pans in a huge mess. So of course rats are attracted to it Rolling Eyes
And they dont come in? When I was single, and living in Jerusaelm, about 20 years ago, we had no screens and we had a definite mouse problem. And they came in our apartment. We then got really cheap screens that we put up with staples.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 12:13 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And they dont come in? When I was single, and living in Jerusaelm, about 20 years ago, we had no screens and we had a definite mouse problem. And they came in our apartment. We then got really cheap screens that we put up with staples.

No they don't come in.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 12:16 pm
I don't like screens either. You don't get such good air, especially after while when they get clogged with dust. I'd rather put up with a few mosquito bites.

With a pair of active cats I have no concerns about mice coming in. Most have the sense not to, and those that lack sense don't last very long. That's called survival of the fittest.

Alternative

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 1:22 pm
I have never lived in a place with no screens and I don't know anyone who does.
Turn on the light at night with an open window and you get lots of little flying things, and depending on season, mosquitos.
How do you sleep with an open window? Don't the mosquitos sense you are there and come in droves? My kids would wake up all eaten if we had no screens.
And pigeons? I see a few Israelis answered here - do you have no pigeons in your area? They are always on the lookout for a nice sheltered place to nest. I can imagine leaving the place for a few hours with the windows open and finding bunch of pigeons in my bedroom.

The only place I ever saw without screens was my son's student apartment at one point (his previous one had screens). And he and all the roommates tried all sorts of solutions to hang up temporary screens, it was that uncommon and annoying.

I agree that screens don't give quite as good air (you are supposed to wash out the dirt and dust once a year, that helps). But if I really want 100% air one day I can just push the screen aside.
They also ruin the view a bit, although these days you can pay extra for an 'invisible' screen which isn't quite invisible but a huge improvement.

Alternative

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 1:23 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

According to your screen name, your city is Bnei Brak. That must be so annoying. When I visit Bnei Brak I notice the garbage, it does not look good.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:15 pm
Alternative wrote:
According to your screen name, your city is Bnei Brak. That must be so annoying. When I visit Bnei Brak I notice the garbage, it does not look good.

It's annoying people don't have a bit of seichel to collect their plastic plates neatly as well as they cutlery but no, everything just gets rolled into a huuuuge ball with the plastic table cloth and pushed into the garbage bag. You are lucky if someone tied the string. And then people complain there isn't space in the garbage can Rolling Eyes

Alternative

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:23 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
It's annoying people don't have a bit of seichel to collect their plastic plates neatly as well as they cutlery but no, everything just gets rolled into a huuuuge ball with the plastic table cloth and pushed into the garbage bag. You are lucky if someone tied the string. And then people complain there isn't space in the garbage can Rolling Eyes

Maybe cities with this problem should adopt the solution of some countries around the world, where you pay for the size of the garbage you deposit. That really forces people to make their garbage bags as compact as possible.

Haven't people cut down on plastic now that it's so expensive?

And how often is garbage collected there?

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:23 pm
I have screens. For birds and flies and moths and cockroaches. But I know many that don't, especially in hotter areas, where all air counts.
As for rats, one got in here after chewing a hole in my screen.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:25 pm
Alternative wrote:
Maybe cities with this problem should adopt the solution of some countries around the world, where you pay for the size of the garbage you deposit. That really forces people to make their garbage bags as compact as possible.

When you have 10 kids at home and the 2 married come for shabbos, putting a price on garbage would be cruel.
And you don't care about the plastic tax either, because it's your sanity.

Alternative

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:29 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
When you have 10 kids at home and the 2 married come for shabbos, putting a price on garbage would be cruel.
And you don't care about the plastic tax either, because it's your sanity.

So then people should at least crush their garbage and make it as compact as possible.

If they are going to use tons of bulky plastic, at least they shouldn't cause overflowing garbage cans. Don't they care what their streets look like?

Reality

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:34 pm
Most of my windows have screens. A few just have trissim. At first I never opened them, but now we do. We definitely get a better breeze from them than the ones with screens. We get a few flies but not nearly as many as I thought. If it was my apartment I'd put in screens but I'm renting so we live as is.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:41 pm
Alternative wrote:

Collected every day including motzash and I think before peach and Tishrei sometimes even twice a day.
I also think size of garbage is the right thing to so but I don't know how it would be implemented.
I don't know if people have cut down on disposals (I only use plastic cups on fridays/erev chag and then very sparingly and some disposals very closely to pesach but that's really it)
I hate all kinds of disposables but realize they come in handy once in a while.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics