Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o baltimore schools- kids with extra needs

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 3:58 pm
So we're looking to move to Baltimore, and looking into girls schools. One of our dds who would be going into preschool struggles with anxiety, selective mutism, and possible asd.
Which girls school would be better equipped to handle a student like that, and how does it work in terms of services in Baltimore
Thanks!

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 3:58 pm
Are you on FB? If yes, Special Frum moms has lots of women from Baltimore who know this stuff really well.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 4:02 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Are you on FB? If yes, Special Frum moms has lots of women from Baltimore who know this stuff really well.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 4:59 pm
Still would like to hear input if anyone on here has any. Trying to decide about schools andwould like to hear about ppls experiences

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:12 am
Both Bnos and Bais Yaakov have resource room/learning centers. There is shemesh in bais yaakov and bnos hosts a school called tiferes golda.
But those are more for learning needs or differences.
I think you'd need to contact the schools themselves to see if they can work with your child's needs.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 10:10 am
amother Almond wrote:
Both Bnos and Bais Yaakov have resource room/learning centers. There is shemesh in bais yaakov and bnos hosts a school called tiferes golda.
But those are more for learning needs or differences.
I think you'd need to contact the schools themselves to see if they can work with your child's needs.

Just wanted to point out that Tiferes Golda is for Elementary age only. I think officially 2nd grade this year, but some of the girls may be a year or two older. It is not an option for a preschooler.

I agree about calling the schools and seeing what they can accommodate. They will be honest with you.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 12:28 pm
You can also look into Jewels. I have neighbors who have sent there for preschool even though their kids did not have any significant special needs, just needed some extra understanding and TLC, and they were VERY happy there.

BaltoMom65

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 12:42 pm
Truth be told, Baltimore schools are severely lacking in any substantial help or aid for any student needing anything extra. There are no services provided by the government for the private schools.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:39 pm
What about the JEWELS school? Would they be helpful for the types of special needs of the OP's daughter?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 3:33 pm
I'm a Baltimore based mommy with girls and have a good handle on the options here. I hate to say it; but based on your description there are very limited options for your daughter. Bais yaakov is the larger, mainstream option here- they do their best but struggle to accommodate girls who have issues like you describe. Bnos is the smaller, warmer option, but they have fewer resources. Jewels generally caters to more severe special needs, but for the preschool level it can work. Tiferes golda is newer, and would fit the bill, but I don't think they have a classroom for her age group. Therapies and special needs programs are poorly funded here, unfortunately. It's a huge lack in the community!

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 4:32 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I'm a Baltimore based mommy with girls and have a good handle on the options here. I hate to say it; but based on your description there are very limited options for your daughter. Bais yaakov is the larger, mainstream option here- they do their best but struggle to accommodate girls who have issues like you describe. Bnos is the smaller, warmer option, but they have fewer resources. Jewels generally caters to more severe special needs, but for the preschool level it can work. Tiferes golda is newer, and would fit the bill, but I don't think they have a classroom for her age group. Therapies and special needs programs are poorly funded here, unfortunately. It's a huge lack in the community!

I agree with what you wrote. However I don’t think it’s true that Bnos has fewer resources. They have recently expanded their learning center. They have multiple therapists servicing students and are currently building an extension that’s main purpose is to allow for more space for those therapies. On the preschool level they have added staff that is there to support and look out for any red flag behaviors, and to get the therapy started in preschool as an early intervention. I wonder if Tiferes Golda will open up another class in the next few years. Jewels is a wonderful school and many children attend mainstream after starting off there. Have you been to Baltimore op? I think it is worth bringing your daughter to Jewels and hearing what the director, Shuli Bamberger, has to say. She would be most familiar with children who are possibly similar to your daughter and can help you figure out options.
Much Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics