Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Tomato Rice With Crispy Cheddar

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 12:59 pm
Very good and pretty simple to make especially if you use good quality canned tomatoes.

Tomato Rice With Crispy Cheddar

Source: Indian-Ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family Hardcover – Priya Krishna

20 minutes

I could use all sorts of fancy words to explain this dish, but the best description is this: pizza in rice form. The inspiration for the recipe, though, is oddly enough not Italian — it’s a hybrid of a classic South Indian tomato rice with onions and a shockingly fantastic Spanish rice recipe my mom and I photocopied out of my seventh-grade Spanish textbook for a school project. The crispy, bubbly, broiled Cheddar topping (use the sharpest white Cheddar you can find!) adds a little something something, making it a worthy dinner party dish. —Priya Krishna

Yield: 4 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

1 small Indian green chile or Serrano chile, finely chopped

10 plum tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into ½-inch pieces, or 1 (28-ounce) can whole or diced tomatoes, strained

1 teaspoon kosher salt

3 cups cooked basmati rice (from about 1 cup dry rice)

1 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese

PREPARATION

Adjust an oven rack to the highest position and heat the oven to 500 degrees.

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and chile, spread them out in an even layer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes translucent and starts to lightly char, 5 to 7 minutes.

Increase the heat to high and add the tomatoes, using the back of a wooden spoon to lightly crush them. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down into a chunky sauce, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the salt and remove from heat.

Stir in the cooked rice and transfer to an 8-inch square (or similar size) baking dish. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top in an even layer.

Switch the oven to broil and place the baking dish on the oven rack closest to the broiler. Broil until the top bubbles and turns golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals