Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Does anyone not bother with first course - Shabbos day
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 1:58 am
At some point, DH and I reached the conclusion that dividing up Shabbos lunch into "courses" served no useful purpose. We put everything out on the table at once - main course + sides, and the salads/dips/chopped liver that I might once have put out for a first course. Those who so wish can continue nibbling at the salads and dips throughout the meal.

Does anyone else do this, or are we the only slackers? Does it seem not shabbosdig to not break things up formally into "courses?"

We don't entertain much, except for an elderly relative and a couple of single/divorced friends who seem fine with this arrangement. I was wondering, though, if we were to start inviting other people over besides these regulars, if the guests would be scandalized ...

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:06 am
amother OP wrote:
At some point, DH and I reached the conclusion that dividing up Shabbos lunch into "courses" served no useful purpose. We put everything out on the table at once - main course + sides, and the salads/dips/chopped liver that I might once have put out for a first course. Those who so wish can continue nibbling at the salads and dips throughout the meal.

Does anyone else do this, or are we the only slackers? Does it seem not shabbosdig to not break things up formally into "courses?"

We don't entertain much, except for an elderly relative and a couple of single/divorced friends who seem fine with this arrangement. I was wondering, though, if we were to start inviting other people over besides these regulars, if the guests would be scandalized ...

Seems community-dependent.

I can't imagine anybody in our community caring about this at all, let along being "scandalized."

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:14 am
I know someone who does this. Seems like her kids were all a little adhd and couldn't sit too long. So this was the best solution for them.

I make two course.
1. Fish, salads, egg salad (sometimes)
2. Cholent, deli roll, grilled chicken (sometimes)

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:11 am
We never do a first course. We go right to the food. We just put everything on the table at once.
And to be honest I dont think any guests we have ever had really cared one way or the other.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:13 am
Our first course is actually our main course - everything buy cholent - my kids enjoy fish. Then we just serve the cholent for second course - I very rarely serve anything with the cholent.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:21 am
Friday night is fish, soup then main
Shabbos day is main and dessert
end of
on Yom tov for day meals I do fish first

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:27 am
Day meal we eat only cholent. If I have guests that I think won't be full enough from cholent I'll add eggs, potato kugel, or kishka into the cholent, and add dessert.
DH davens in a chassidish shul. By the time davening and kiddush is over there isn't any point in stuffing in so much extra food.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:30 am
I have little kids - we moved the fish from lunch to 3rd seuda and now just have one course. Not worth it to have a few bites and so many dishes to wash. If we have guests, I do the extra course.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:36 am
My first course always contains fish of some sort so there is always a change.
If I had non-fish salads and meat, I would serve it all in one go.

Sometimes we forego either fish or meat for lunch, especially if we were at a lavish kiddush first

chanchy123

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:41 am
I only do a first course of salads/salatim when we have guests. But even then it’s only one plate, and I have the salads on the table when we wash and sit down so people don’t have to wait for food if they’re hungry and bring out the main course shorty afterwards.

English3

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:00 am
We don't have fish and meat together on one table. I will always clear it first and then we have a lechaim in between.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:03 am
Ideally it is one course, but if there is fish we need 2.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 6:48 am
Day meal we only do 1 long course
Dips, Salads , Deli and Syrian Mazza on the table and then bring out chulent later during the meal without clearing out anything.
Only 1 large plate setting for each person

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 7:07 am
imaima wrote:
My first course always contains fish of some sort so there is always a change.
If I had non-fish salads and meat, I would serve it all in one go.

Sometimes we forego either fish or meat for lunch, especially if we were at a lavish kiddush first

I dislike kiddush events, meager or lavish. It spoils the appetite. Only do kiddush for YT.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 7:35 am
We don't do a fish or dips course, but I always make a soup in the crockpot so we have a soup course and then a main course of chicken, kugel, and coleslaw.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 7:40 am
Lol we wash maybe have some dips and a bring out the chulent and maybe some deli roll if I make that week. Scandallll

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 7:54 am
Unless we have guests, we do no courses in our house.
No fish or soup Friday night, no fish shabbos day.
Shabbos day if my kids want dips we just bring it to the table with everything else.
This is how I grew up, which I know is not the norm. But I find it so silly to just have course upon course of food when noone needs to eat that much at one sitting

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 8:34 am
We like our salmon here so fish and salad bar is our first course, and it is usually the bigger course. Then cholent — with or without kugel and/or deli depending whether we have deli-loving grandkids or kugel-loving guests.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 8:40 am
It is a Halachic problem to serve a salad with raw vegetables on the same plate as hot chulent on Shabbos.

I serve a fish/salad/dips course on salad plate (sometimes two plates if I make a meat salad, or if I'm serving eggs/liver), then clear that and we serve chulent/kugel on dinner plate.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 8:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
It is a Halachic problem to serve a salad with raw vegetables on the same plate as hot chulent on Shabbos.

I serve a fish/salad/dips course on salad plate (sometimes two plates if I make a meat salad, or if I'm serving eggs/liver), then clear that and we serve chulent/kugel on dinner plate.

Why would it be a problem never heard that b4
Also by the time chulent gets to your plate it’s already Kli Shlishi…
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note