Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nurses -how did you deal with Shabbos
Previous  1  2

avigail

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:25 pm
If it's a NYC hospital ( or anywhere with a large jewish population)they know. As soon as they see you ( assuming you dress tzanua) or possibly even as soon as they saw your name if it's a classic Jewish name.
There's a good chance they will bring it up, or they may wait for you to. Key is being respectful, honest and showing your willingness to make it work/ as easy for them as possible. Make it clear you won't take advantage, will only take off the days you actually need- not chol hamoed and chanuka.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 12:03 am
Ty for all your advice.

Anyone on here work at Montefiore?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 12:05 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
My whole family are nurses. In the tri-state area, they're pretty hard up for nurses, so there's nothing to worry about.

If I were you, I wouldn't even mention it on the interview. Once they hire you, they have to accommodate religious observance. On the other hand, you have to be prepared to work erev yom tov, you'd probably be put on the night shift for a hospital for a while, and you have a hard time getting the PTO you want. Pesach always falls out around Easter, so everyone wants that time off.

Sometimes, we would arrange to come to work an hour late to the shift so that we could come Saturday night when shift starts when it's still shabbos.

Hospital jobs are hard, because they demand a lot, and you can't request PTO far in advance for yom tov days that you know are coming. They also cap it for a given month, so if all the yamim tovim wind up in September, it's harder.

But there are tons of nursing jobs that are more accommodating. Nursing homes are desperate for nurses, but that's like boot camp for the uninitiated. Doctors offices are harder to come by, because people want those jobs. They also pay less, typically. You can also work for the school district, and that's a really awesome job, but also for less pay. You can do home health, there's plenty of agencies.

And speaking of agencies, if you're smart, you should work for one. Agency work is big right now, because hospitals can't keep staff. You get more money than if you'd work for the hospital directly, but in return, you don't get benefits, which may not matter if your spouse has health insurance for the family. You also get more say in your hours and when you can work. So I would go to an agency!

And finally, being a traveling nurse is very attractive if you're single. They pay for your apartment, and you get a lot more money, and they pay for moving costs, etc. The downside is that you have to keep switching jobs.

Worked in a doctors office for years and really want the hospital experience.

Yes, I need health insurance. We get it through my employer.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 12:18 am
why are doctors allowed to work on shabbos? and nurses can't? aren't they both saving lives? theoretically...in a hospital? for example my OB is frum and works on shabbos, why can't the nurses?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 1:37 am
I am not a RN, I am a dietitian. I was asked at my interview if I would be available to work Saturdays, (as looking at me and my name and education it is obvious)and was told, that I am welcome to switch Saturday/Sunday with someone, but I was the one who was going to have to find someone to switch with me. It is e/o weekend, so it feels like it is all the time. Best case scenario, you have someone who is thrilled to work every Saturday and have off every Sunday and basically swaps with you permanently. Worst case is every week you are begging and stressing and never feel like you are forever imposing and bothering the rest of the staff.

I took a job which is our pt and adjacent and my coworker knows that supervisor, who she said has secretly said on the past, that she would never hire an Orthodox Jew obviously there is no evidence and no way to prove I was the most deserving candidate.

As a RDN, there are not so many hospital positions available (I think most nyc hospitals tend to have between 7-15 depending on the size)

Btw -completely legal to ask if you can work Saturday/nights/mornings…. Because they need to hire staff taht can work when they need them to

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 1:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Ty for all your advice.

Anyone on here work at Montefiore?

My have a family member that works at montefiore
I’m a nurse I worked hospital somewhere else. Most hospitals in New York will know your Jewish and be aware of the shabbos thing. I would likely mention it after the interview that you cannot work Saturday’s but can do Sundays .

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 3:34 am
amother Navy wrote:
why are doctors allowed to work on shabbos? and nurses can't? aren't they both saving lives? theoretically...in a hospital? for example my OB is frum and works on shabbos, why can't the nurses?

In Israel we do. Depending in the hospital, there are various accommodations made. It could be a social development as much as a halachic one that nurses don't work on Shabbos in America.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics