Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone try Pure Encapsulations DopaPlus

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 1:33 pm
My 13 yr old son has been on different meds with horrible results.
He can’t focus in class gets fidgety and needs to get up and leave the classroom. The principal suggested we put him on meds. We tried it but it made him loose weight which he couldn’t afford and made him angry and start fights with the boys.
When we took him off meds he became the sweet boy I knew but can’t focus and gets bored because he can’t keep up.
Someone suggested we try this.
It’s expensive so want to know more about it.
Also does it need a hechsher because I can’t find any that is kosher.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 1:57 pm
Haven’t tried it personally but it actually looks like a great product. And I don’t say that easily, I’m very picky about supplements. The main active compound is l tyrosine, which boosts dopamine production, similar to a stimulant like Ritalin. I would try a plain l tyrosine product first to know if that’s helpful for him. When you buy complexes and respond either positively or negatively you don’t necessarily know which part they are responding to. Not all kids do well with extra dopamine. The l methyl folate is also pretty important, you can add that on its own separately, but really ideally b vitamins should be taken as a complex because they need each other to work.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:37 pm
I’m not familiar with that supplement but I’ve found pure encapsulations to be a good brand. Ask a Shaila about the hechsher part. I was told that if I can’t find a good equivalent with a hechsher then to use it without a hechsher. That applied even to flavored supplements (as long as they’re vegan) since it’s for a medical need. It’s like medicine - lots of medicines don’t have a hechsher.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:45 pm
Thanks for both of your information.
I was also told to give him magnesium citrate.
I sure hope it helps.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 13 yr old son has been on different meds with horrible results.
He can’t focus in class gets fidgety and needs to get up and leave the classroom. The principal suggested we put him on meds. We tried it but it made him loose weight which he couldn’t afford and made him angry and start fights with the boys.
When we took him off meds he became the sweet boy I knew but can’t focus and gets bored because he can’t keep up.
Someone suggested we try this.
It’s expensive so want to know more about it.
Also does it need a hechsher because I can’t find any that is kosher.

I hope the supplements help! If they don't though I'd recommend seeing a really top top psychiatrist, who can help you figure out how to counter the anger while on medication. It's really important for the long term self esteem of your son to be able to keep up and succeed in school, don't lose sight of that goal. I know we found something that worked for my son by seeing a top neurologist- he's on two medications unfortunately, I'm quite natural minded and don't love that he's on so much medication but he's thriving in a million ways, socially and academically and his self esteem has shot up. I no longer look at his future with dread the way I did before.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for both of your information.
I was also told to give him magnesium citrate.
I sure hope it helps.
You might have better results using magnesium glycinate, malate, threonate, orotate, taurate, or a combination of these different forms. Citrate isn’t very well absorbed by the body.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)