Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric surgery (sleeve) recommendation (and chizuk)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:14 pm
I'm coming to terms with the fact that I will need to do bariatric surgery and I want to get this over with ASAP. Who is the best, preferably in NJ? How do I go about this? Please tell me your success stories because I'm terrified. I don't care about the weight, I want to hear about other positive health outcomes and lack of complications. Thank you!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 2:32 pm
I don't have any recommendations but I do want to bring your attention to a new weight loss medication called Mounjaro. In my research, I saw that this medication was compared to have the same results as bariatric surgery with an average weight loss of 50 pounds. It seems to be groundbreaking.

I started taking this medication and lost 18 pounds in a month. (I did start out over 300 pounds so take that into account) Without trying to diet or exercise at all. It makes me feel full. And I love eating and am an emotional eater.

Idk if you heard about it or tried it but if you are very hesitant or nervous for surgery (which would make 100% sense!) Maybe check this med out.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:08 pm
My DH did it 3 years ago. He says it was the best decision he ever made (besides for marrying me, obviously Wink ) He has successfully kept off 75lbs. He feels amazing about himself, has so much more energy!! He can play sports with the lids without huffing and puffing, he can run up and down the stairs. His blood pressure went down to a healthy number. Bh Bh was an amazing tool for him!

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:31 pm
Dr Roslin in Lenox Hill is supposed to be the best surgeon with the best outcomes…he has no bedside manner but it’s the surgery that matters!
Good luck!
I did it and was so so happy bh!
Don’t listen to what anyone who didn’t do the surgery tells u!!
All friends will tell u a bunch of stupid things like how dangerous it is and how everyone who did it gains it back etc etc…don’t listen to them if they didn’t actually do it! Ppl like to talk!!
Bh finally like how I look, went to a size XS! Now I’m bh pregnant after surgery I’m terrified I’ll gain weight back after!
There’s a woman’s watsapp group that u can join but that’s only once u have a surgery scheduled-and the whole group is full of ppl that are thrilled with their choice!!
Good luck

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 3:53 pm
I only had mine done about 6 months ago, so I can’t tell you about my long-term results yet, but I have lost 60 pounds so far. I feel great bH, have lots of energy and am really happy. I have some chronic health issues that are slowly improving and I’ve been able to cut my medication doses in half. Hopefully as I keep losing I can lower them some more.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 4:45 pm
What BMI / how overweight do you have to be to have the surgery?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:07 pm
Drs Ren and Fielding at NYU are excellent. They have been doing this for years, and they understand the frum lifestyle. Dr. Fielding has the band so they both really gets what the struggles are.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:30 pm
It is almost 10 years since I had sleeve surgery and I dont recommend it. I had gallstones and needed my gallbladder removed. I still have acid reflux. I have other problems as well. And worst of all, I have gained most of the weight back and am struggling with no support from the doctors I went to. And I know other people who never lost weight in the first place or gained back most or all of the weight they lost while others had life altering complications. You dont have to listen to me, you can listen to the people that are still a few years out and I felt fine a few years out as well but 9+ years later and I regret this surgery and dont recommend it.

If you are not concerned about your weight then what are the reasons for having this surgery?

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:35 pm
I had the band 14 years ago and highly recommend it over the sleeve. Most people start regaining weight after year 6-7 or earlier for some after the sleeve. The band can be very easily loosened or tightened

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:52 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
It is almost 10 years since I had sleeve surgery and I dont recommend it. I had gallstones and needed my gallbladder removed. I still have acid reflux. I have other problems as well. And worst of all, I have gained most of the weight back and am struggling with no support from the doctors I went to. And I know other people who never lost weight in the first place or gained back most or all of the weight they lost while others had life altering complications. You dont have to listen to me, you can listen to the people that are still a few years out and I felt fine a few years out as well but 9+ years later and I regret this surgery and dont recommend it.

If you are not concerned about your weight then what are the reasons for having this surgery?

It's not pleasant to weigh 300 lb but I wouldn't do something so drastic if it was just about looks, fitting into clothing/chairs etc. I'm struggling with secondary infertility, high blood sugar, sleep apnea, and most challenging for me, some loss of mobility plus lots more.

My relationship with food and my body is better than it was when I was thin. I take good care of myself as best as I can and I feel like I don't have any other options. I truly don't want to do this but I also don't want bandaid medical treatments to deal with the individual issues. I'm at a loss.

Doctors won't treat me properly because they just want me to lose weight. Losing weight is not an action, it's an outcome and outcomes are not something we can always control. I'm scared I'm going to die young because doctors don't any of my symptoms seriously.

My thoughts are all over the place but I really wanted to answer you because I appreciate your post very much.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 6:07 pm
I did the band 10+ years ago and have-with difficulty-maintained a 75+ pound weight loss the entire time, as well as had a couple of pregnancies since. There are definitely no guarantees, everyone knows someone who “gained it all back” but once you’re medically obese your best bet for losing weight is weight loss surgery.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 6:24 pm
I had bariatric surgery in 2011 and successfully kept of 120lbs. Highly recommended.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 7:00 pm
I did the mini bypass a year ago in Israel and I am so GRATEFUL!!! It's a new lease on life BH!
Hatzlacha!!!! btw, my apnea and diabetes and high blood pressure are BH gone and my mobility is so much better! It's a gift and I hope all goes well with you!!!!!!

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 2:28 pm
About 5 years ago, I used Dr Grecco in Toms River.
I needed a hip replacement or id be wheel chair bound. The doctor wouldnt operate unless I lost at least 100 pounds in 6 months
Bh I went from 312 to 156 in my 50s.

But I must warn you, you can throw up or end up in the emergency room for the slightest lil mistake.
I eat less than a toddler, and must prioritize protein . You also need to take bariatric vitamin supplements for life
And with all this I gained back 20 pounds that I have to lose to avoid back issues

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 2:44 pm
I have 7 relatives who did it. One ended up with complications and almost died as a result. He will now have medical complications for the rest of his life. Of the 7 I know who did it, only one kept the weight off past 5 years because he puts a lot of effort into it.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 5:02 pm
[quote="amother Lightpink"]I have 7 relatives who did it. One ended up with complications and almost died as a result. He will now have medical complications for the rest of his life. Of the 7 I know who did it, only one kept the weight off past 5 years because he puts a lot of effort into it.[/quote

They must he serious compulsive eaters. Weight loss surgery is not a cure. It's a tool. You still need self control.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 5:08 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
I have 7 relatives who did it. One ended up with complications and almost died as a result. He will now have medical complications for the rest of his life. Of the 7 I know who did it, only one kept the weight off past 5 years because he puts a lot of effort into it.

It’s funny that when all the horror stories came from skinny ppl who never did the sleeve and never had to go on a diet …׳my uncle died from it ‘, ‘my neighbor got fatter’, ‘my cats dog got a 3rd eye from it…’
When u ask ppl who actually did the surgery 90% are happy with their choice!
Please don’t give ur input to OP unless u were under the knife and experienced it urself….
Good luck OP!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 5:24 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
It’s funny that when all the horror stories came from skinny ppl who never did the sleeve and never had to go on a diet …׳my uncle died from it ‘, ‘my neighbor got fatter’, ‘my cats dog got a 3rd eye from it…’
Please don’t give ur input to OP unless u were under the knife and experienced it urself….
Good luck OP!

I really appreciate your posts. How can I find actually statistics from people 7+ years out? There is so little information out there on the long term success and so much fat shaming the people who gain it back. I wish they would do actual objective research on why people gain it back. In the past I've maintained weight loss by barely eating for years and gained it all back plus a huge amount just by starting to eat normally again. I'm currently 300 lb and eating approx. 2000/2500 cal a day of healthy food and still gaining. I worry that the surgery, even if successful, will just be a temporary fix and then I'll gain it all back plus another fifty lb. I worked so hard to get over my eating issues and I'm afraid that they'll all come back.

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 5:35 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Good luck OP!

Im actually not skinny at all despite watching what I eat and exercising. I am sharing true experiences of people I personally know. I know how hard it is to lose weight but the surgery has risks that op can hear about too.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 5:51 pm
Compulsive overeating is a mental health issue.
IF you are a compulsive overeater (like myself) bariatric surgery will not help me.
I had to explain this to my doctor.
I do not eat because I am hungry I eat because I eat.

What I did do is join a gym and started working out three times a week.
I do weight training and over the past few months I have started eating less carbs and working on making better choices.

I am done 3 sizes but only lost 12 pounds.

The point is for some people that are significantly overweight there is no an easy fix- and surgery is not the answer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise