Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What does your kid read? (ESL)
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 12:13 am
I'm substitute-teaching a 7th grade English class in Israel, and I'm looking for books to build an English language library off of.

So far, they have no tools for English exposure. The girls range from ABC-level, to a limited but functional vocabulary, and they've never had an English-speaking teacher. Their textbook is Boro Park-based, and at an irrelevant level for most of the class.

We're picking up the pieces where we can, and I'm trying to give them as many English resources as I can.

So come one, come all! I want educational, vocabulary building books which are high-interest, and also full of pictures.

Thank you for your help!

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:25 am
Bump!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:28 am
I cant tell you specifics as my daughter is in 9th grade and was always in dovrei anglit classes, but I was told that usually whatever grade the kids are in, they should be 2 grade levels below that in reading ESL. So you probably need something even easier than that.
We have amelia bedelia chapter books (different from the amelia bedilia kids books)
Good luck enriching their english lessons Smile

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:31 am
I raise English speaking kids in a non-English speaking country and I buy many Dr Seuss books, also Little Critter books.

I also like Stories from Avi‘s heart and Mommy‘s heart where emotions are explained through every day situations. They are good for language acquisition and emotional skills.

salt

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 5:58 am
Yes Dr. Seuss is great, the books are rhyming.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:03 am
For the last two posters, in Israel english is started in schools in 3rd or 4th grade. By 7th, I would hope they are past those books.
Rappel are they not past the above books? That would be a bit weird if not.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
For the last two posters, in Israel english is started in schools in 3rd or 4th grade. By 7th, I would hope they are past those books.
Rappel are they not past the above books? That would be a bit weird if not.

Emotionally/intellectually - they're healthy 7th graders, maybe a bit on the naughty side Smile

Reading level - no, they're not past rhyming picture books. That's the sad part. They've had terribly fragmented instruction so far, and their teachers have focused more on grammar rules than language acquisition (probably because they weren't English teachers themselves.)

I'm not a certified teacher either, but they were scraping the bottom of the barrel by the time they called me, and I'm trying to do my best by them.

So now I'm looking for books with 4-8 lines a page, a lot of explanatory pictures, and subject matter that will interest a 12 year old. It's a bit of a challenge :/

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:24 am
Rappel wrote:
Emotionally/intellectually - they're healthy 7th graders, maybe a bit on the naughty side Smile

Reading level - no, they're not past rhyming picture books. That's the sad part. They've had terribly fragmented instruction so far, and their teachers have focused more on grammar rules than language acquisition (probably because they weren't English teachers themselves.)

I'm not a certified teacher either, but they were scraping the bottom of the barrel by the time they called me, and I'm trying to do my best by them.

So now I'm looking for books with 4-8 lines a page, a lot of explanatory pictures, and subject matter that will interest a 12 year old. It's a bit of a challenge :/
Got it. Thats a bit sad, not having a good teacher, for any subject, and for that many years, is really sad. (Although, I think they have to know that grammar stuff for the bagrut. My daughter never learned that in the dovrei anglit class and some hugh school friends of hers are learning it now)

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:25 am
I teach in America, but my one ESL student likes graphic novels- right now she's working on the babysitters club series.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:05 am
amother Ebony wrote:
I teach in America, but my one ESL student likes graphic novels- right now she's working on the babysitters club series.

Ooh! That's a good idea. Can you recommend any good graphic novels? Need to be appropriate for a religious girls school, and relevant to a non-American audience

(I just found that the Magic Tree House has a few! Smile)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:17 am
Sarah Blau books

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:29 am
Rappel wrote:
Ooh! That's a good idea. Can you recommend any good graphic novels? Need to be appropriate for a religious girls school, and relevant to a non-American audience

(I just found that the Magic Tree House has a few! Smile)
Raina Telgemeier's graphic novels are great. My daughter has read all of these. Smile
https://goraina.com/books

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:31 am
interesting but doesn't look so appropriate for a religious girls school.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:34 am
If you want graphic for a religious school many use the Just Imagine series by M Safra published by Tfutza

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:34 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
interesting but doesn't look so appropriate for a religious girls school.
I guess it just depends. We are dati leumi and my daughter and many of her friends read these books. Ive read them. They are pretty pareve actually.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:47 am
Shikufitzky comic books my 12 year old still enjoys them

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:51 am
About dr. suess a lot of it is made up words so while it’s cute and works on sounds and reading it doesn’t teach vocabulary and grammar

Reality

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:26 am
I can't imagine these girls are "getting" Amelia Bedilia. If their English is so poor then her ridiculous mistakes aren't going to be funny for them!

I would try the more advanced Dr. Seuss. The Lorax. The Sneetches. Horton Hatches the Egg. All high interest. Great illustrations and have a more mature underlying theme. I had a teacher in high school read to us The Places We Go.

Reality

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:27 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
About dr. suess a lot of it is made up words so while it’s cute and works on sounds and reading it doesn’t teach vocabulary and grammar

True but Dr. Seuss books are highly repetitive so that makes them great for new readers.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:27 am
Reality wrote:
I can't imagine these girls are "getting" Amelia Bedilia. If their English is so poor then her ridiculous mistakes aren't going to be funny for them!

I would try the more advanced Dr. Seuss. The Lorax. The Sneetches. Horton Hatches the Egg. All high interest. Great illustrations and have a more mature underlying theme. I had a teacher in high school read to us The Places We Go.
I didnt mean the kid books amelia bedilia.
https://www.ameliabedeliabooks.....books
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room