Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Changing Bed Linen at Home
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

How often do you change the bed linen in your house?
once a week  
 24%  [ 24 ]
once every two weeks  
 37%  [ 37 ]
once a month unless it must be done before  
 39%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 100

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 1:07 pm
I try to do it once a week, sometimes it ends up being closer to 2 weeks....

what can I say-it's my least favorite chore...

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 1:13 pm
Is there a rule or etiquette for this?
I thought that once every 2 weeks was standard, as I see do most of the people who voted on the poll.

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 3:16 pm
I change linen every two weeks, according to my feminine cycles. I definitely change the day I go to the mikvah, so that it will be nice and fresh and clean for the occasion Wink , and then I change again the day I get my period. Works well.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 3:20 pm
I change once every 1-2 weeks. Usually closer to 2.

Esther01

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 6:20 pm
every other thursday (when I have my cleaning lady)

Mishie

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 6:39 am
Do y'all change your (your and DH's) and the kids' linen at the same time?
I find that I change ours more frequently than the kids'.
(B"H, none of them wet their beds!!!) but, it's just such a hard task, to do the whole family's beds on the same day. Very time consuming, and I find it takes a lot of energy out of me.
anyone else?

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 8:06 am
I have a baby who is so fond of removing her diaper in the middle of the night, that I find myself changing her sheets almost everyday/ every other day!! When she dosent do that, she has been know to once or twice throw up and then roll over and go back to sleep. So I guess my answer would be no.

binah918

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 8:11 am
I do the same as downsyndrome...according to my cycle: mikvah night and when I get my period. It ends up being about every two weeks. Works well for me!

chen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:01 am
Boyoboy, times must have changed! Even my grandmother changed all her linens every Friday--and this was in the day when you boiled them in a huge vat on the stove, stirred with a broomstick, wrung out by hand, hung on a line to dry and then ironed!

B"H all I have to do is throw them in the machine. How could I do any less?

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 11:50 am
So you think that once a week should be the norm?

chen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 12:19 pm
Absent circumstances requiring more frequent changes, yes.

happymom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 3:17 pm
I change mine and my babies linen every thursday

realeez

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 4:07 pm
I aim for once a week - but it doesn't always happen.
When I had a regular cleaning lady, it did!

Chen, that's really interesting about your grandmother and I alsowonder how often they bathed then. Usually I shower before bed so I am going to sleep "clean!"

melalyse

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 8:18 pm
That's what I don't understand - me and dh shower before going to sleep. Why should we need to change sheets every week. I change every 2 weeks but I wouldn't think that it would be a problem to go longer.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 8:25 pm
melalyse - dust mites. your skin flakes off even when you're clean, the mites feed on it.

that said, I change our sheets every two weeks. I don't have the energy to do it more often.

chen - I admire your grandmother's energy & work ethic!

a related question...I got new linens three years ago and now the sheets are threadbare, infact, dh pointed out a few holes in his this morning. seems like they should last longer, no?
the duvets, pillowcases are fine. its just the sheets.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:25 pm
A question to those of you who change linen every 2 weeks: Do you sleep on white linen when counting the 7 clean days? If yes, when do you change the linen to white, when getting your period? Doesn't it get stained?
Is white linen and nightgown a minhag or halacha? Is white panties enough ?

micki

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:28 pm
by us the ideal gulp! is every other week- so we do the kids one week, and otur the other. so were changing linene every week, but not all at once. makes it easier, and evens out the laundry more.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:40 pm
I dont' sleep on white linen. I was told that white, close fitting undergarments are enough, though some have the minhag of white nightgown and sheet.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:46 pm
When my son had bad reflux and vomited on everything I usually changed my sheets 2 times a week or more. Now I try to change every week but sometimes I do it every other depends on the week.

melalyse

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:48 pm
I learned that using white sheets and white nightgown was the minhag when people didn't used to wear undergarments. But now that we do wearing white underwear is good enough and you don't have to use white sheets. It's more important not to use white the other 2 weeks. When I went shopping for linen before I got married I was very surprised that I saw so many white or white patterned sheet sets in frum stores.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry