Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Where to find reading passages

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:20 pm
Looking for short material to practice comprehension on approximately lowish 6th grade level - I see a lot of online resources for lower grade levels but not that much for this age. Needs to be of high interest to boys. One of the boys is into sports but the sports articles I see at that reading level are too basic - a kid who's into sports knows all that stuff already. More sophisticated content is written at reading levels that are too high. It's harder to get his cooperation when it's not about sports but if I have something really interesting he'll bite. The other boy I'm aiming for is not into sports at all so on one hand I don't have an easy search term but on the other hand he's more open to random topics.

I'm just finding it hard to find things at this level - seems the choices are boring and babyish, or too sophisticated for them to comprehend.

teachkids

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:22 pm
Newsela and readworks let you pick the reading level

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 5:01 pm
Try commonlit.org. Just did a search for "sports" for grade levels 5-7 and a bunch came up. Plus everything has discussion and comprehension questions attached.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 5:11 pm
Thank you both!

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 5:25 pm
I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but I like this for a lower level 6th grade boys class. It’s made perforated to be able to pull out pages to photocopy for the class.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 5:58 pm
Check out Teachers Pay Teachers! It’s a great site that has materials created by other teachers- you can refine your search to the grade level you’re looking for and what type of material you are looking for. Look at results in order from prices low to high so you can see the free materials. I use this website for resources as a speech therapist all the time. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:01 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Check out Teachers Pay Teachers! It’s a great site that has materials created by other teachers- you can refine your search to the grade level you’re looking for and what type of material you are looking for. Look at results in order from prices low to high so you can see the free materials. I use this website for resources as a speech therapist all the time. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/

This. Love tpt. I use it all the time.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 2:20 pm
Thanks for the leads.
I love TPT but there's so much there that I spend more time than I can afford searching and sifting through. Do you have a store to recommend for high interest reading passages?

jj1236

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 3:09 pm
Epicbooks! Also if your school subscribes to Scholastics, that's great too for non fiction. I also second readworks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics