Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How much is reasonable to spend on a teenage girl?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:36 pm
My two girls have an uncle's wedding coming up. Older DD is almost 16, very thin with a beautiful figure, and very fashionable. Younger DD is almost 12. She is chunky and it's difficult to find clothes that fit her right. She usually looks great, though, because we spend money if necessary to get her clothes that suit her.

We live in Brooklyn. We just started our gown search. At the first store we went to, DD12 found a lace ankle-length dress for $350 plus tax that would look good. It's not elegant enough for a sibling's wedding, but nice enough for an aunt/uncle's wedding. DD16 found a very elegant two piece gown for $450 plus tax. We can buy these and the pressure of finding something is gone! (Obviously, we can wait to see if they go on sale, but is it worth the risk that it will be sold out?)

We can check local rentals but we didn't have a good experience last time we checked two years ago. Also, I feel that at those prices, we might as well buy.

Ali Express/Chinese brands on Amazon are not options for us.

WWYD? Looking for advice. If you live in town, would you spend these prices $350/$450 plus tax? Is it worthwhile to just buy at these prices?

Also looking for suggestions. Links/names of stores/gemachs/rentals.

dena613

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:39 pm
Gemach?

I've never spent that much on any one article of clothing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:41 pm
dena613 wrote:
Gemach?

Yes, gemachs can be an option but that means lots of running around on the slight chance that we will find something. Can you suggest a place we can try?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:43 pm
I would spend that for an uncle's wedding. Besides time is money, so decide if you have the hours to waste running around.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 7:56 pm
For those of you who know brands, the dresses are Mummy Moon and Cera Una Volta.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:04 pm
I personally would not spend that much. However, if you don't want to run around and one child is a difficult fit it doesn't sound so unreasonable if you can afford it. You can also try to sell them and make back some money.

cnc

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:05 pm
I would buy and sell them afterwards. Gown rentals aren’t cheaper.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:06 pm
The prices don’t sound so bad to me. Can you cut them afterwards and use as shabbos dresses?

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:08 pm
If you can afford it go for it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:09 pm
Keep in mind gown rentals can be $200-300. And that's to rent.

pgk

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:10 pm
I don’t think any of those companies make dresses that would be appropriate for a 16 year old🙈 but price wise unfortunately this seems to be in normal range

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:15 pm
I would go for it if you can afford it. Your sanity is worth something.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:23 pm
cnc wrote:
I would buy and sell them afterwards. Gown rentals aren’t cheaper.

That's what I was thinking I can try but I wasn't sure of gown rental prices.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:28 pm
At 16 she’s probably mostly done growing and can get a nice amount of use out of it. Better than paying almost that amount for one night and having to deal with pickup and giving back, as well as the cost of cleaning and alterations. I just paid 60$ to the cleaners for a gown I’m renting for one night.

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:29 pm
I needed a fancy dress equivalent to what you needed not too long ago. The rentals were more expensive than what you posted. Under $1000 is a bargain to buy.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:37 pm
dena613 wrote:
Gemach?

Do you mostly shop aliexpress?

Fave

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:09 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I would spend that for an uncle's wedding. Besides time is money, so decide if you have the hours to waste running around.

Ditto

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:15 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Do you mostly shop aliexpress?

Huh? Not that poster but I've also never paid $350 on an item of clothing nor have I ever shopped on Aliexpress.

There's a world of prices in between the two...

Beauty123

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:51 pm
I think that’s a reasonable price. You can sell it afterward for more than half the price you paid.

SingALong

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:17 pm
I paid around that last year for similar age girls. Also gowns, but for first cousin wedding. We have several possible weddings coming up so I decided it’s worth spending and they can wear a few times. After that I’ll sell it if I can, or give away.

My older dd I bought a $600 gown 5 years ago for my brothers wedding, she wore it 3 times, and now my next dd wants it for the next family simcha. To rent would have been more, and I would have had to do it a few times, costing me more in the long run.

In my opinion, buying was more cost saving for me. And those prices are fair for a gown, especially if they good in them!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics