Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Why am I gaining weight on a diet
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:21 am
I have been following a food plan that was made for me a few years ago by a nutritionist. Following it very meticulously and even choosing to forgo treats I would technically be allowed if I needed. Drinking tons of water. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t lost a pound. This morning I got in the scale and I gained a pound. It makes no sense! I’m so depressed. I am definitely eating less calories than I was pre diet and no junk at all, minimal carbs etc I actually feel good and not hungry. But I’m really frustrated and just want to cry. Oh I’m early pregnancy-but very early like 5 weeks not even having symptoms yet. But I must get the weight under control now bec I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been -I weigh about as much as I wweighed at the end of my last pregnancy

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:38 am
amother OP wrote:
I have been following a food plan that was made for me a few years ago by a nutritionist. Following it very meticulously and even choosing to forgo treats I would technically be allowed if I needed. Drinking tons of water. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t lost a pound. This morning I got in the scale and I gained a pound. It makes no sense! I’m so depressed. I am definitely eating less calories than I was pre diet and no junk at all, minimal carbs etc I actually feel good and not hungry. But I’m really frustrated and just want to cry. Oh I’m early pregnancy-but very early like 5 weeks not even having symptoms yet. But I must get the weight under control now bec I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been -I weigh about as much as I wweighed at the end of my last pregnancy
Sometimes the body goes into starvation mode when you dont get enough caloric intake to counter the amount of exercise you may be doing. Trying to lose weight does not always mean eating less calories.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:56 am
Your pregnant.
Focus on staying healthy. Not on the number on the scale.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:59 am
amother Black wrote:
Your pregnant.
Focus on staying healthy. Not on the number on the scale.

Thank you but I do need to focus on limiting weight gain. And I was told it’s ok to lose in first trimester as long as I eat well and don’t feel hungry. This is bec I’m starting out technically obese.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:00 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Sometimes the body goes into starvation mode when you dont get enough caloric intake to counter the amount of exercise you may be doing. Trying to lose weight does not always mean eating less calories.

I’m not doing any exercise at the moment

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you but I do need to focus on limiting weight gain. And I was told it’s ok to lose in first trimester as long as I eat well and don’t feel hungry. This is bec I’m starting out technically obese.

Does your nutritionist know that you are pregnant?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:07 am
To give more info I’ll give an example of why I at yesterday.
Breakfast:
Coffe with skim milk
Slice of toast (40 calorie bread)
1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
5 olives

Snack: protein bar (180 cal)

Lunch:
5oz can of tuna with 1 TBL light mayo
Who wheat Arnold’s Sandwich thin
Pickles

Snack:
string cheese-I was full and didn’t even want this snack I just figured I shouldn’t skip

Dinner:
stir fried in a little bit olive oil spray-zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, small sweet potato and 5 oz of chicken cutlet

Loads of water
This is a typical day for me
I usually have some fruit I just didn’t feel hungry between meals yesterday.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:08 am
amother Black wrote:
Does your nutritionist know that you are pregnant?

Yes she said I can use this in first trimester a little more protein gets added in second and in third

YochevedTh

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:18 am
Even though you’re early in pregnancy your body is still going through lots of changes. Weight gain isn’t just from baby in pregnancy. The body holds onto more fluid, makes extra blood, etc.
Two weeks also isn’t very long for lifestyle changes to have an effect on weight. The benefit of avoiding quick weight loss is that it is more sustainable. A lifestyle change rather than diet (as research has shown time and time again that diets do not work). I wonder if you can reframe your thoughts from the negative (I have failed, this diet is bad) to something more positive. For example, can you think of other benefits you’ve noticed? How’s your skin, mood, hydration, energy, etc?

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:25 am
If you feel full, don't eat. You mentioned you ate the cheese even though you weren't hungry. I would just skip.

I'd stick to the diet another week.
Also, how about doing some brisk walks? It's great for early pregnancy & you can burn close to 300 calories. Do that 2 - 3 times a week and you should lose an extra pound a month.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:30 am
It being ok to lose weight and actively trying to lose weight isn’t the same thing.

You’re pregnant, your body is changing. You can reframe your thinking to, wow I could’ve been gaining so much more weight if I wasn’t eating healthy right now!

In all of my pregnancies, all of my weight gain before the ~20 week mark happened before 8 weeks, just from hormonal changes.

Daven for a healthy mama for your healthy baby and get on the scale at your prenatal appointments.

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:40 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
If you feel full, don't eat. You mentioned you ate the cheese even though you weren't hungry. I would just skip.

I'd stick to the diet another week.
Also, how about doing some brisk walks? It's great for early pregnancy & you can burn close to 300 calories. Do that 2 - 3 times a week and you should lose an extra pound a month.

I wouldn’t skip the snack. You don’t want to go into dinner being super hungry. I think when you are sticking to a food plan it’s good to eat at your regular times.

OP: hey look at it this way- you went two weeks and didn’t gain any weight! I say keep it up. Don’t get discouraged. Pregnancy does weird things and it won’t be predictable.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:41 am
amother Lightblue wrote:

Its funny how diets can sometimes be counter productive. I have a co-worker that is dieting in front of my face right now and it is funny to watch.
At the end of the day we eat the same way most of the time only she is so stressed at looking at her watch and calculated every bite. While I for the most part practice intuitive eating and basically eat like her minus the stress and the feeling of restriction and force.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:42 am
amother Birch wrote:
!

In all of my pregnancies, all of my weight gain before the ~20 week mark happened before 8 weeks, just from hormonal changes.

In every pregnancy I gained the same amount of weight during the first two trimesters, nothing during the third and most during the first.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:55 am
amother Black wrote:
Its funny how diets can sometimes be counter productive. I have a co-worker that is dieting in front of my face right now and it is funny to watch.
At the end of the day we eat the same way most of the time only she is so stressed at looking at her watch and calculated every bite. While I for the most part practice intuitive eating and basically eat like her minus the stress and the feeling of restriction and force.

I wouldn’t say I’m stressed. I feel quite satisfied actually. I’m not really waiting and counting etc. I’m more stressed about the weight I am and that I’m not losing. I’m really too heavy right now and I was hoping to lose 5-10 pounds in the first month or so before I start to actually gain from the baby

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:42 pm
I’m so down. Woke up this morning and gained another half a pound.. how?! I don’t get it.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:55 pm
Are you going to the bathroom regularly?

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 6:11 pm
It might be from drinking tons of water! Being more hydrated does make you weigh more, but in a healthy way.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 8:15 pm
Sounds like you arent eating enough

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 8:49 pm
No veggies till dinner?
Where you suppose to weigh the food and you are just eye balling it?
I would reach out to the nutritionist
Sometimes a little tweak is all that’s needed
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise