Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Would you name your baby a very similar name to your sibling
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:49 am
Would you give your baby a name that is very similar to the name of one of your siblings (meaning and/or spelling)? To clarify, not the baby's siblings, rather the siblings of the parents (e.g., my or dh's brothers and sisters).

For example:
Talia/Tal/Avital
Efraim/Efrat
Shira/Ashira
Hillel/Hallel (they are spelled exactly the same in Hebrew)
Chana/Chen
Michael/Michal
Penina/Margalit
Noam/Naama
Rena/Renana
Shlomo/Shlomit/Shlomtzion

(Anon so no one figures out who I am based on our siblings names Very Happy )

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:52 am
Yes, for sure.

scruffy

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:53 am
I would and would even give the same name.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:56 am
My child named their child a name very similar to their sibling, mainly because the parents loved the name and its meaning.
It troubled me a little in the beginning but only because I would without fail call my child by my grandchild's name and vice versa. I still do but it doesn't bother me any more.
My child had no issue with the similarity of the name whatsoever.

happyone

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:56 am
Why not? We name after family members so we have many in the extended family with same names.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:07 am
scruffy wrote:
I would and would even give the same name.

Ditto

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:11 am
Why would it even be an issue? I'd give the same name too.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:12 am
I probably would

mizle10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:13 am
Huh? 2 of my girls have the same name as 2 of my sisters. Why is that an issue?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:18 am
I have several nieces who have my name. I'm named after my great-grandmother HYD. One of my SIL's told me that since I turned out alright, she figures it's a good name to give her child.

I took that as a compliment!

My niece recently named her baby the same name as my DD (my DD is named after her great-great-grandmother HYD on DH's side. Niece is from my side and chose the name cuz a) she likes it and b) she thinks DD is great! Compliment.)

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:44 am
My brother named his daughter my name because SIL's grandmother had the same name. So my niece and I are not named for the same person but we have the same name. Totally not an issue (although they did ask me before if I'd be ok with it).
I'd definitely give a similar sounding name, otherwise you are really eliminating a LOT of names.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:52 am
I don’t think I would

Rosie89

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:06 pm
Why not? My niece has my name and my sister shared a name with my aunt.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:08 pm
My daughter has my sister’s names. Many of my nieces and nephews share my siblings name. I do not see the issue at all. The only issue is using your parents’ names while they are alive if you are ashkenaz. That is all.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:09 pm
It probably depends on family size. If you only have one sibling it might be weird. With a larger family I wouldn’t think twice. Many of my kids have an aunt or uncle with the same name.

happy chick

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:09 pm
To name my child similar to my sibling? For sure. We sometimes give the same name when it's a family name. I even have a child whose name is quite similar to my husband.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:14 pm
Sure. Two of my kids share a name with my siblings.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 4:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have several nieces who have my name. I'm named after my great-grandmother HYD. One of my SIL's told me that since I turned out alright, she figures it's a good name to give her child.

I took that as a compliment!

My niece recently named her baby the same name as my DD (my DD is named after her great-great-grandmother HYD on DH's side. Niece is from my side and chose the name cuz a) she likes it and b) she thinks DD is great! Compliment.)

This reminded me of when my niece was born.
I have a very classic Jewish name, but it's not especially pretty or fashionable. My husband's sister called her daughter the same name , although it was after her and my husband's grandmother. I was surprised at her choice because this sister in law usual goes for more trendy names. Anyways, she told me that she had really wanted to call her after her grandmother because it would make her own mother ( my mil) very happy. But she was a bit anxious about it because said grandmother was a very good woman but did suffer from depression and was quite cantankerous. She told me that when she and her husband made the decision to use the name, he brought up that I was a really nice person who had that name so they were able to associate that name with some more positive personality traits. I must admit that I was tickled pink Sunny

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 5:01 pm
I have a sister and a daughter Chaya. Both named after the same person.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Would you give your baby a name that is very similar to the name of one of your siblings (meaning and/or spelling)? To clarify, not the baby's siblings, rather the siblings of the parents (e.g., my or dh's brothers and sisters).

For example:
Talia/Tal/Avital
Efraim/Efrat
Shira/Ashira
Hillel/Hallel (they are spelled exactly the same in Hebrew)
Chana/Chen
Michael/Michal
Penina/Margalit
Noam/Naama
Rena/Renana
Shlomo/Shlomit/Shlomtzion

(Anon so no one figures out who I am based on our siblings names Very Happy )

The only one I'd see an issue with on this list is Shira/ Ashira. Because they so often sound the same.

"Ashira!!! Come here." "Uhh, SHIRA, someone's calling you."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names