Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Challah dough rising slowly. Keep or trash it???

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 3:21 pm
I made challah dough almost two hours ago. The dough is always overflowing from the Bosch bowl by now, and today it’s just reached the surface.

It’s definitely rising, but much slower than usual. Should I keep this batch, or trash it and start over?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 3:24 pm
Please don't trash it! Make your challas on the smaller side and egg them. Put them in your oven on about 140. Let them rise appx 15 min then turn your oven up to normal temp. They may not be as fluffy as usual but they should be delicious.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 3:27 pm
Turn the heat on higher or put the bowl near the oven/stove and turn it on. Sometimes my dough doesn't rise if it's too cool in the house.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 3:28 pm
Also during the winter when the air is dry I need to add more liquid to my dough. When it's too dry it rises much more slowly.

Definitely don't trash it.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 3:32 pm
Hey! Me too!
The dough isn’t rising much.
The challos will probably be on the smaller side.
Definitely DONT throw it out!!!!!!
Here’s what I do when this happens… braid the dough, egg and seed. Then place in oven at 225 for 20 minutes for another quick rise. Raise oven temperature to 350 and bake as usual.
They will be good. Just not as large and fluffy but still very good.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 4:04 pm
I turn on the oven to 170. Shut it when its preheat ed. Put pan of boiling water on the bottom shelf. Put in the bowl of dough. It helps a lot .

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 4:06 pm
Even turning on the light in your oven and putting the bowl in will get things going. It's probably just cooler in your house than usual.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 8:14 am
I once made challah dough that didn’t rise, so I made pizza and garlic knots with it. Worked out perfectly. Then I had to make another batch with a good yeast.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 8:21 am
Next time you may cover dough with cling plastic wrap
You may wrap bowl in a big towel and put in a warmish place
Always avoid draft and open windows!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note