Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No period since June
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 11:23 pm
DD, who is 15, just told me that she didn't get a period since the end of June. Should I be concerned? She did not expect to get it over the summer, so it's really just September and October that she missed it . Planning on calling her pediatrician tomorrow.
She is watching her weight and is probably overdoing it. She has a yogurt for breakfast and a large salad for lunch, and snacks on peppers. When she gets home, she eats regular dinner (whatever I make) and will snack a little on foods like granola and even maybe a little junk. On Shabbos she eats normally. After she shared this with me, I told her to add carbs to breakfast and lunch, like melba toast, bread, or crackers.

Would love to hear thoughts.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:03 am
A lot of things can affect it. Stress, environment, food etc. I know someone who didn’t get their period the entire time they were in seminary, but then it returned regular.

Also, you say she wasn’t supposed to get it over the summer? She gets it every 8 weeks?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:06 am
When I was in high school, I didn't get my period for about 6 months while dieting.... now I'm fine What

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:45 am
amother Maple wrote:
A lot of things can affect it. Stress, environment, food etc. I know someone who didn’t get their period the entire time they were in seminary, but then it returned regular.

Also, you say she wasn’t supposed to get it over the summer? She gets it every 8 weeks?

She never gets it over the summer. Apparently that's very common.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:53 am
1. Has she gotten it regularly before then
2. Did she take the covid Vax
3. She probably needs more fat and protein

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:53 am
I just asked my doctor cuz my 15 year old hasn’t gotten it in a few months. He said should not be more than 3 months without getting it

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:06 am
She just told me this morning that she saw signs of it. Let's see if it turns into a full-fledged period.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:23 am
Teenagers "watching their weight" is often disordered eating.

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:25 am
Dd got it at close to 16 the first time, then she didn't get it again for about 8-9 months. I was told she should count her blessings. When I asked when I should start worrying the answer I got was when I have to set a wedding date.
Eta: some of dh siblings tend to have this pattern. They bh have nice families. They nurse clean for a long time and then magically find themselves pregnant without getting a period.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:51 am
tweety1 wrote:
Dd got it at close to 16 the first time, then she didn't get it again for about 8-9 months. I was told she should count her blessings. When I asked when I should start worrying the answer I got was when I have to set a wedding date.
Eta: some of dh siblings tend to have this pattern. They bh have nice families. They nurse clean for a long time and then magically find themselves pregnant without getting a period.

Yes, but that's not relevant here. She's been getting it regularly since she was 13.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:55 am
Unless you know something else may be going on, (like she's lost a lot of weight) I would suggest holding off on calling your pediatrician. From my experience, there is nothing alarming about your situation. Her doctor will likely want to cover him/herself and send her for time consuming tests and bloodwork. They won't hurt her but they will take a lot of your time. BTDT

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:57 am
amother Navy wrote:
I just asked my doctor cuz my 15 year old hasn’t gotten it in a few months. He said should not be more than 3 months without getting it

Doctors dont always know best. He's wrong. Teenagers can skip a lot more months than that. You'll be setting yourself up for extra bloodwork, trips to an endocrinologist, etc.. BTDT.

LK1

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:00 am
I had this situation, called the pediatrician and was told if she is getting it at least 3 times a year it's all good.
He did say that she should make sure she sleeps enough and eats enough...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:08 am
Ok, thank you! We will wait. Hopefully it's all good.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:54 pm
Female relatives on dh side are underweight and always have this problem of missing periods, sometimes for extended period of times (6 months). Being on top of including more protein and especially healthy fats is very helpful, especially when they want to become pregnant. One of dh sis told me that taking an omega3 supplement for 2 or 3 months works wonders.
I see this pattern with one daughter now. Doc said her hormone levels are normal so no worries. Just watch that she doesnt go overboard with the dieting.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 2:25 pm
Op , this is extremely common. I'm having this with all four of my teenage daughters. With my oldest, I called my pediatrician twice because I was so worried. He told me not to look for problems if there aren't any. She is now 19 and finally getting it more often like 8-9 weeks. My second teenager told me last month that she didn't get it since May. My third one got alarmed already after 7 weeks and came to tell me. My fourth one got her first period on pesach and when we unpacked her when she got home from camp I realized that's she hasn't used her pads and that's when she told me that she never got it a second time yet...hey...I forgot to follow up on her if she got it again by now.
( Yeah I have another daughter thats almost ready to get her period and then come my boys lol)

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 2:30 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Me too.
Only difference is that I was nearly 17 when I got it fir the first time.
Bh I have a double digit family.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, but that's not relevant here. She's been getting it regularly since she was 13.

I think it’s normal for it to be very irregular for first few years.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:09 am
I could have written every word of this myself. I literally read it twice to remember if I was the OP or not. When we deprive our body of nutrition, it will drop non-essential functions. I don't believe that it's normal if she has always been getting it for many months/ years before. I had this with my daughter, and realized that I need to explore why she started to drastically change her eating pattern. It is usually emotional/mental based. After that was squared away , I scheduled her to see a competent nutritionist that deals specifically with teens. It came to adding healthy fats and sufficient protein into her diet. 3 TBSP of oil or mayo or Half avacado to each meal. Hatzlacha! I'll daven for you, I know how it feels to be concerned over this!
On that note, I try not to show her my concern as I don't want her to associate reproductive system to with fear and anxiety.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:15 pm
Had similar situation, had dd eat a bread for breakfast with protein and most importantly, not later than 3 hours after waking up. Helped bh
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics