Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Winter equivalent of white sneakers?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 6:06 am
I love my white sneakers. I got a super comfortable pair and they make everything look better. The same exact dress can go from dowdy/boring with other shoes to light, trendy, fun with white sneakers. And I am genuinely more comfortable, too, than I ever was in ballet flats for example.

But now winter is coming. What is the equivalent? What shoes/boots can I get, wearable with black tights, that will make me feel sparkly and bouncy? Another kind of sneaker? A bootie--thick sole?

Keep in mind also I'm 40 (though small/petite, I think I look a little younger) so tooooo trendy isn't really the thing for me either.

Also--in the summer I wore a lot of long skirts. What kind of skirt is a good basic skirt for winter? I know pleats but I have yet to meet a pleated skirt that looks good on me... But then again I haven't tried so many. Should I try? Is it a look for a 40-year-old? What would you call a basic skirt, that I could then hopefully match with many tops and the magic shoes that are the subject of this post?

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 6:14 am
Sock sneakers
Utility boots

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 6:19 am
sock sneakers feel/look silly on me (look fine to me on other people, but I don't like them on me... maybe because I have slightly wide ankles or I don't know)

maybe utility boots. you think? it's not too trendy for 40? I feel like the people I see wearing them are mostly teens/early 20s maybe.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 6:21 am
maybe one like this? https://www.geox.com/en-US/vil......html

I feel like the thick sole is what gives it the fresh look. (plus I feel it's flattering on my foot/leg shape.) I guess I'm just afraid to go too far.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 7:13 am
For me, it's my black leather booties.
I got mine from Bloomingdales two years ago.

hodeez

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 7:15 am
I would say booties and a line skirt/straight black depending on your figure

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 7:19 am
I wear utility boots and plan on doing so when I reach my 40s which are coming up soon. The boots you linked are nice. You may like Thursday boot company as well.

What style skirt do you usually like and feel good in?

mandr

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 7:24 am
Uggs and an Infinite skirt

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 8:18 am
elegant utility boots.
https://www.farfetch.com/il/sh.....13154

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 8:18 am
Combat boots are for every age imo. So practical.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 6:42 am
Thanks all!

I also need to buy some skirts... I was pregnant and then losing baby weight for a while--don't look pregnant anymore, but also still don't fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes and so I'm pretty much starting from scratch in the skirt department. I am open to ideas!

I am short, petite, curvy--I am uncomfortable in stiff or structured looks, I need things to be flexible and form-fitting to feel right but I also try to keep it modest. I'm not sure where that leaves me as far as skirts. I've been wearing maxi skirts but I know I need to go shorter for winter.

I think I could look good in a-line or narrow/straight, but I seem to struggle with some fabrics being too stiff/thick/structured on me and others being too thin/floppy--the a-line ones can end up looking shlumpy when the fabric is too floppy, and the straight ones can sometimes run into tznius issues then (either too tight to wear with a shorter top, or riding up around the knee). I guess I am looking for something kind of in the middle, thin fabric but enough structure to cover and stay in place.

Lengthwise I feel like I need things to be either longer or just past the knee--calf length skirts don't work well on my height I think.

What is an infinite skirt?

I'll check out the Thursday boot company.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 6:56 am
Your body description sounds like me, & the only way to know what skirt style to buy is to try on as many as you can in a store. You won't know what looks good until you try.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 9:14 am
I just bought myself a pair of cute black sneakers in TJ Maxx. They have ribbons for laces and animal print across part of the sneaker. They just look that bit more playful than a regular pair of sneakers and obviously black which works for winter.

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 9:50 am
amother OP wrote:

I feel like the thick sole is what gives it the fresh look. (plus I feel it's flattering on my foot/leg shape.) I guess I'm just afraid to go too far.

Sure!

lucky14

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

Oooh I really like these!!! Can’t do something with that price tag though. Can anyone find me a very similar shoe for like 1/3 of the price? I especially love how the top looks like it is snug fit and not gaping open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics