Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My kids want money

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:10 pm
I actually like the idea of kids having money. I think they can learn to budget and save. It seems like all their friends have money but my kids don't. They are too young to earn money and they hate doing chores so they wouldn't earn that way. I don't really believe in paying for chores but I would be willing if it were extra chores or special chores.
It seems that their friends get money for birthdays and from relatives and lots on chanukah. We do not have that kind of money or those kinds of relatives.
No one in our community pays or charges for children doing chessed. My daughter tried being a mother's helper -and she is really good at it- but no one wanted to pay for that service.
At some point my daughter will be able to babysit, not sure what kinds of jobs my son can do, but for now they are not old enough for any of that.
Any ideas? What would you do?

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:12 pm
How old are your kids? Can your daughter do shul shabbos groups? Can your son rake leave. Or shovel snow?

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:14 pm
Can you do an old fashioned allowance? I also don't believe in linking it to chores.

imaima

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I actually like the idea of kids having money. I think they can learn to budget and save. It seems like all their friends have money but my kids don't. They are too young to earn money and they hate doing chores so they wouldn't earn that way. I don't really believe in paying for chores but I would be willing if it were extra chores or special chores.
It seems that their friends get money for birthdays and from relatives and lots on chanukah. We do not have that kind of money or those kinds of relatives.
No one in our community pays or charges for children doing chessed. My daughter tried being a mother's helper -and she is really good at it- but no one wanted to pay for that service.
At some point my daughter will be able to babysit, not sure what kinds of jobs my son can do, but for now they are not old enough for any of that.

You didn’t mention the age.
We give our kids pocket money starting at 6 years

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:19 pm
You could give them cash "stipends" for completing age-appropriate learning on top of whatever they learn in school.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:26 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Can you do an old fashioned allowance? I also don't believe in linking it to chores.

Same. Even a small allowance helps teach budgeting. I like to teach children that chores are because you live here you pitch in, you don't get money for it.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

Mow lawns , prune trees, rake leaves

Set up shul for Shabbos

Bind seforim

Wash cars

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:32 pm
I give money as incentive for doing homework nicely, well on tests, good grades on report cards. Small amounts. And based on the child's ability and potential.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 4:12 pm
Can you share amounts of allowance?

My kids are 10, 9, 7, 5 (under that doesnt ask).

These jobs posted are all nice but these are things kids do in the neighborhood for free as chessed.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 4:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you share amounts of allowance?

My kids are 10, 9, 7, 5 (under that doesnt ask).

These jobs posted are all nice but these are things kids do in the neighborhood for free as chessed.

Their age in dollars, a month

alibaba1

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 4:47 pm
We give my son some money if he learns extra mishnayos or anything like that. He also sometimes teaches younger boys football for half an hour which makes him feel like he is earning money, selling esrogim , helping in shul... The girls could make any program for younger kids; shabbes afternoon program ; fri night after candle light program. You could teach her to braid hair so she can do it for neighbours who have a mesiba. Run errands for an elderly neighbour etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics