Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DD age 5 constantly putting hands in mouth

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 8:18 pm
How can I get her to stop?

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 8:47 pm
Is it just hands or does she mouth other stuff? If she does mouth other things it can be a deficiency in something (I think iron)

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 8:50 pm
There's an appliance that an orthodontist can install in her mouth that makes it uncomfortable to suck one's fingers.

You can try the bitter-tasting liquid that's used to discourage finger-sucking and nail-biting. You brush it on the skin or nails.

You can try offering incentives such as a major prize when she quits entirely, but you have to offer in-between incentives as well. Like a star for every day she doesn't, a small prize after she collects 5 stars, a bigger one after collecting 15 stars, and so on.

Why do you need her to stop? Are you concerned about her teeth, or does it just annoy you. If it just annoys you, maybe leave it alone for now. Most kids quit on their own, though some diehards continue into adulthood, at which point it's their problem, not their parents'.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:14 pm
When my kids do this I know they have strep.

For my friends kid it’s pinworms/parasites.

Goes away with appropriate treatment.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:18 pm
She prob needs sensory input.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:25 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
She prob needs sensory input.

What does that mean

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:33 pm
Another vote for sensory seeking behavior if it has been relatively constant. It means that putting her hands in her mouth gives input that helps her regulate herself and it feels good for her. Get a good sensory OT eval, they can do a complete sensory assessment and see what she is seeking and provide age appropriate ways to meet her sensory needs. When her need for input is met in other ways this behavior will decrease. A behavioral approach alone will not work with a sensory behavior as it doesn't address the root cause.
(If this is a new behavior for her then there may be another cause like strep, ear infection etc)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics