Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Baby Carriers 101
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:38 am
I'm due with my second baby soon iyh and thinking of getting one, but I know nothing about carriers.

I know there are a few types (wraps, slings, structured...) what would you recommend?

I mainly want it for using at home, as my first newborn was a super fussy baby and I couldn't get a thing done. Is it really helpful though? Will I be able to do things around the house while wearing the baby?

Tell me everything there is to know!

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:43 am
I used 2 types, wrap and basic. I preferred the wrap because you can do different positions. My 4th baby spent a lot of time in the wrap. I even cooked while wearing her. Of course with any of them the positioning needs to be correct. And some need additional support for when they are newborn.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:46 am
Thanks, can they be used right away?

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:50 am
The wraps are good for really little babies but as they get bigger you'll need more support from a structured one. I was really happy with my ergo Omni 360. I've heard good things about the Tula and Lillebaby carriers too.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, can they be used right away?

Yes, they can.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:55 am
I joined a Facebook group about babywearing. There are so many rules and considerations you might not know about. (and more importantly, same for carseats.)

I look back at the photo of how low I was carrying my first and cringe.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:57 am
I’m a huge ergo fan. I wore my first till age 14 months (and now my second at 25 months, still going strong) I tried and wanted to like baby Ktan for my second (for infancy) but I couldn’t Figure it out. My husband had to help me which was ridiculous. I ultimately returned it and went back to ergo. Bottom line buy from somewhere with a great return policy!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:02 am
amother Black wrote:
I’m a huge ergo fan. I wore my first till age 14 months (and now my second at 25 months, still going strong) I tried and wanted to like baby Ktan for my second (for infancy) but I couldn’t Figure it out. My husband had to help me which was ridiculous. I ultimately returned it and went back to ergo. Bottom line buy from somewhere with a great return policy!

as a side point I'm wonder if I should wait until after the baby to buy... it's not like I can try it on now anyway

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:03 am
amother OP wrote:
as a side point I'm wonder if I should wait until after the baby to buy... it's not like I can try it on now anyway

May be an idea. I even took a class (because if you don’t wear it properly it’ll be very uncomfortable)

Aurora

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:12 am
amother OP wrote:

Maaaaaybe. Definitely worth trying one on and seeing how it goes.

Loved my Ergo 360.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:06 pm
Has anyone tried lalabu?

Machel

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:17 pm
Carriers, especially the more structured ones are like jeans. Different ones fit different bodies best. If you have friends who have carriers, ask if you can try them, or try them on in store.
An example: I loved my ergo 360 for my first 2 and then with my third it started to hit weird on my shoulder. I got a chimparoo trek and it sits half an inch differently and makes all the difference.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 3:15 am
I like soft structured carriers best - the ones with kind of a soft seat and buckles to strap on (no tying is a big plus with a squirmy or shrieking baby). Ergo, Beko, and Boba are popular brands (there are others). A few considerations:

- Not all are appropriate for newborns. Some have separate newborn inserts, some don't need, and some require the baby to be older. Also, some good for newborns are not appropriate for older babies or toddlers. So note this when you buy one, to think about what ages you want it for.
- Most allow front carry facing in (baby on your stomach facing you), and many allow carrying on the back. But only some allow for carrying on the hip or allow front carry facing out (baby on your stomach facing the world). Think about what positions you feel are most important.
- If you and your husband are very different height wise or weight wise, you want to get one that is highly and easily adjustable. Also, some have shorter straps than others and won't fit someone tall or heavy. My husband is a good 7-8 inches taller than me and weighs almost twice as much as me, so we had to take that into consideration, so maybe bring dh along to try it on too. Even though my dh didn't use the baby carrier much, having that option is very important for the times when he did use it.
- Some come with a hood - this is useful for keeping the baby's head from lolling around if they fall asleep, and for extra protection from the sun. Not all carriers have them and not all people find them useful, but it is a feature to be aware of if you want it.
- The carrier I had for my first had an extra strap with a snap on the shoulder to hook onto a pocket book. This was a very minor feature, but helped keep my pocketbook from falling off. Not essential, but maybe a perk.
- If you have tall kids (or if you and your husband are tall and there is a chance your child will be), some carriers have a higher seat back than others, which may determine how long your child can actually fit in it. So keep in mind if relevant.
- Preemies or even small babies are usually under the weight limit for most soft structured carriers, so pay attention to the minimum. It took months for my small baby to fit into it. If this is the case, I highly recommend a wrap, but they have a steeper learning curve.
- Think about the weather where you live. I live in a hot climate and I found most carriers to be disgustingly hot and sweaty (and if I am hot and sweaty, so is baby). Some carriers have thicker material, some have thinner material, and some are even made of mesh. Also, the ones that have separate newborn inserts are sometimes hotter because it is an extra layer or two of material inside the carrier.
- For the sake of your back, make sure it has shoulder straps and a strap that goes around your hips. Even if it feels comfortable now, imagine when you are lugging around a 10 or 15 or 20 pound baby.
- Please please please get a baby carrier that can keep your baby's hips in the correct position! Some baby carriers (historically, baby bjorn, but also others. Baby bjorn now has carriers that are hip friendly too). Anything that leaves the legs dangling straight down can contribute to hip dysplasia and other issues. Get one which allows a newborn's legs to be in a frog position (shape of an M) within the carrier, and when they are a little older provides support under the thighs out to the knees.

Good luck! If you see any good ones, let me know.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:41 pm
Can baby carriers be used post c-section?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:52 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I like soft structured carriers best - the ones with kind of a soft seat and buckles to strap on (no tying is a big plus with a squirmy or shrieking baby). Ergo, Beko, and Boba are popular brands (there are others). A few considerations:

- Not all are appropriate for newborns. Some have separate newborn inserts, some don't need, and some require the baby to be older. Also, some good for newborns are not appropriate for older babies or toddlers. So note this when you buy one, to think about what ages you want it for.
- Most allow front carry facing in (baby on your stomach facing you), and many allow carrying on the back. But only some allow for carrying on the hip or allow front carry facing out (baby on your stomach facing the world). Think about what positions you feel are most important.
- If you and your husband are very different height wise or weight wise, you want to get one that is highly and easily adjustable. Also, some have shorter straps than others and won't fit someone tall or heavy. My husband is a good 7-8 inches taller than me and weighs almost twice as much as me, so we had to take that into consideration, so maybe bring dh along to try it on too. Even though my dh didn't use the baby carrier much, having that option is very important for the times when he did use it.
- Some come with a hood - this is useful for keeping the baby's head from lolling around if they fall asleep, and for extra protection from the sun. Not all carriers have them and not all people find them useful, but it is a feature to be aware of if you want it.
- The carrier I had for my first had an extra strap with a snap on the shoulder to hook onto a pocket book. This was a very minor feature, but helped keep my pocketbook from falling off. Not essential, but maybe a perk.
- If you have tall kids (or if you and your husband are tall and there is a chance your child will be), some carriers have a higher seat back than others, which may determine how long your child can actually fit in it. So keep in mind if relevant.
- Preemies or even small babies are usually under the weight limit for most soft structured carriers, so pay attention to the minimum. It took months for my small baby to fit into it. If this is the case, I highly recommend a wrap, but they have a steeper learning curve.
- Think about the weather where you live. I live in a hot climate and I found most carriers to be disgustingly hot and sweaty (and if I am hot and sweaty, so is baby). Some carriers have thicker material, some have thinner material, and some are even made of mesh. Also, the ones that have separate newborn inserts are sometimes hotter because it is an extra layer or two of material inside the carrier.
- For the sake of your back, make sure it has shoulder straps and a strap that goes around your hips. Even if it feels comfortable now, imagine when you are lugging around a 10 or 15 or 20 pound baby.
- Please please please get a baby carrier that can keep your baby's hips in the correct position! Some baby carriers (historically, baby bjorn, but also others. Baby bjorn now has carriers that are hip friendly too). Anything that leaves the legs dangling straight down can contribute to hip dysplasia and other issues. Get one which allows a newborn's legs to be in a frog position (shape of an M) within the carrier, and when they are a little older provides support under the thighs out to the knees.

Good luck! If you see any good ones, let me know.

I’m not the OP, but this is so helpful!! I was actually going to post about this today, and forgot. My baby is 3 weeks old and pretty small- 6lb 8oz
I have a couple of structured carriers, but I think he’s too small for them. I have a ring sling that I really want to use, but I can’t figure out how to wrap it. None of the videos I watched on YouTube were the same as the one I have. If I post a picture of the logo, do you think maybe you would know what brand it is?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can baby carriers be used post c-section?

I was able to babywear post cs

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:01 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I joined a Facebook group about babywearing. There are so many rules and considerations you might not know about. (and more importantly, same for carseats.)

I look back at the photo of how low I was carrying my first and cringe.

Same! I loved getting so much valuable info from experienced baby wearers.
Highly recommend to join a Facebook group.
I'm partial to
https://www.facebook.com/group.....rael/
Smile

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:48 pm
essie14 wrote:
Same! I loved getting so much valuable info from experienced baby wearers.
Highly recommend to join a Facebook group.
I'm partial to
https://www.facebook.com/group.....rael/
Smile

Is there a group you can recommend that’s NOT Israeli?

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:00 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Is there a group you can recommend that’s NOT Israeli?

Sorry, this is the only one I am a part of, but I'm sure if you search for "babywearing" + your location you can find one.

SG18

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:49 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I’m not the OP, but this is so helpful!! I was actually going to post about this today, and forgot. My baby is 3 weeks old and pretty small- 6lb 8oz
I have a couple of structured carriers, but I think he’s too small for them. I have a ring sling that I really want to use, but I can’t figure out how to wrap it. None of the videos I watched on YouTube were the same as the one I have. If I post a picture of the logo, do you think maybe you would know what brand it is?

I might, I'm pretty good with logos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics