Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Drama Kings and Queens Take a Bow...

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 7:57 pm
Am I the only one who is raising a couple of drama kings/queens? My son (5) and daughter (2) are always performong for an audience of one (me) or 2 (me and my husband). I put my son to bed and each night he comes up with a different elaborate excuse why he can't go to sleep. Tonight his foot hurt so much he "needs to go to the hospital." The comments are always accompanied with dramatic facial expressions, body motions and just the right tone of voice to elicit sympathy.
Are your kids budding stars?

cassandra

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 8:22 pm
My son also told me before bed tonight that he had to go to the hospital because something was stuck in his tooth. He'll be five next week.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 8:27 pm
all of mine are like that. There is always a long story for everything. Tongue Out

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 8:31 pm
I think they learn from the best !!! 8)

mimivan

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 10:41 pm
sunshine! wrote:
Am I the only one who is raising a couple of drama kings/queens? My son (5) and daughter (2) are always performong for an audience of one (me) or 2 (me and my husband). I put my son to bed and each night he comes up with a different elaborate excuse why he can't go to sleep. Tonight his foot hurt so much he "needs to go to the hospital." The comments are always accompanied with dramatic facial expressions, body motions and just the right tone of voice to elicit sympathy.
Are your kids budding stars?

maybe your son and mine could take the same ambulance. He told me the other night that he needs to go to the hospital because he has a mosquito bite. He always cries to me about how the 2 year old picks on him (and the two year old does, but)...so I say "then move to somewhere else" and then he said "NO!" and whines...

I don't know what to tell you, but I think it is interesting that your and my kids have a similar age difference. The five year old is trying to compete for attention with a 2 year old who can cry and have tantrums....so they drop a maturity level for high drama...

I find it gets worse if I minimize it...that's why they want to be dramatic in the first place.
Maybe try this
"Oh, your toe hurts...where exactly does it hurt..." (pretend to be a doctor) " and what do you think you need for it..umm hmmm"

(now, I can't do this every 10 minutes for every little complaint, but maybe once a day, try getting into his little shtick and playacting too...this may gratify him enough that he will do it less)

Worth a try.

mama-star

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 11:30 pm
yeah, my 8 yr old dd is a real drama queen, that's actually my secret nickname for her! the problem is, I never know when she is really sick because every little thing becomes a major malady to her.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 11:32 pm
I think I was the biggest drama queen of them all, so I know how to diffuse the situation pretty quickly. I guess that's why it's not such a big issue.

bebe3

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 11:57 pm
my dd called my dh and myself when we were out at the school dinner tonight. She said that she felt that she needed to vomit so could she please bring her sleeping bag downstairs and sleep on the couch. we said fine. the phone rang again and her younger sister had (you'll never believe this) the same symptoms and needed to sleep on the couch as well.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 12:02 am
bebe-that is funny

ds keeps me going. tonight he-
needed 2 pacifiers
needed to make
needed his sippy
needed a refill in his sippy
I should put him on pjs bec he is cold(he was in underwear bec it was hot)
I should cover him
needs potty again

now why am I not loosing weight yet?

Last edited by flowerpower on Tue, Jun 03 2008, 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

mama-star

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 12:16 am
flowerpower, probably because after all that aggravation you probably want to dig into some ice cream!!

zigi

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:01 am
my son always wants to go to the doctor, he always says his stomach hurts, and I didn't really listen, I thought maybe he overate. it turns out that he later came down with a fever had had a really nasty stomach bug. he is 4

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:10 am
I babysit for 2 kids age 4and a half and 3 and bring my baby along. The 4 yr old is always saying "throw your baby into the garbage" I really don't like it when she says that. It gets under my skin. Maybe that's why she does it? You think it would bother me as much if it was my own kid saying it?

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:28 am
I have already named my daughter drama head for her graduating class. she just has this dramatic flair that is hysterical.

mimivan

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:33 am
reminds me of how Laurence Olivier became a theatrical great...he said it was all because of his mother...
When she got upset with him, she used to say "Go to your room and don't come out until you can act."

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:40 am
My 9 year old.
One day while in the States, I was sitting with my two sisters and talking, when my 9 year old comes in and made a big show about taking a tissue and blowing her nose! She didn't say anything mind you, it was in the way she walked, lifted the tissue to her nose and blew. It was almost as if you could hear the director going giving instructions. I was waiting to hear the director say "That's a wrap" We cracked up as soon as she left the room.

Definitely this kid could make it big in pictures.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:43 am
Aidelmom wrote:
I babysit for 2 kids age 4and a half and 3 and bring my baby along. The 4 yr old is always saying "throw your baby into the garbage" I really don't like it when she says that. It gets under my skin. Maybe that's why she does it? You think it would bother me as much if it was my own kid saying it?

Yep. Why not just play along? Say something like, Okay, but first I have to throw you in...'
Maybe her mom plays a game like that with the kids? We always use to. The kids would crack up in hysterics as we pretended to toss them in. Then they would pretend to throw us in.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:14 am
Thanks for the idea. maybe I'll try it. but I guess I grew up w/ the idea "al tiftach peh lasatan" and I heard a story about a woman who actually did it (threw her baby out) so maybe that's why it bothers me so much.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:19 am
[quote="Aidelmom"].
Quote:
but I guess I grew up w/ the idea "al tiftach peh lasatan"

If it really is a moral problem for you, then ask her mom if she plays that game at home could she please explain to her daughter that you don't (and why). A simple explanation is all that is necessary; "we try not to say teasing things, or things we aren't really going to do in this house."

Quote:
and I heard a story about a woman who actually did it (threw her baby out) so maybe that's why it bothers me so much.

Accidentally? Deliberately? I wish there were a shudder emoticon.

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 12:45 pm
I spoke to my mom last night at length about this very topic. Her take on the whole thing "honey, it's payback!!" Thanks Ma!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics