Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Better to not give baby shots while on antibiotics for ear I

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:51 am
4 month old, checkup tomorrow, baby has ear infection and is on antibiotics.

Is it better to wait on the shots?

I will ask the Dr but I wanted to hear from others ...

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 1:18 am
Despite my dr telling me it’s safe, I never give shots when my child’s immune system is “busy” with something that is giving them pain or real discomfort. I do not regret that decision . It’s been over a decade.

On a totally different note, do you know why your dr gave antibiotics for ear infection?

gr82no

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 1:26 am
I give the shots but I wouldn’t give when my baby is sick or on meds.
Most drs would be totally fine to do it the next visit or for you to come back in a week because ur baby is on antibiotics now.

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:05 am
amother OP wrote:
4 month old, checkup tomorrow, baby has ear infection and is on antibiotics.

Is it better to wait on the shots?

I will ask the Dr but I wanted to hear from others ...

Of course you don’t give shots to a sick child

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:08 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Despite my dr telling me it’s safe, I never give shots when my child’s immune system is “busy” with something that is giving them pain or real discomfort. I do not regret that decision . It’s been over a decade.

On a totally different note, do you know why your dr gave antibiotics for ear infection?

The recommendation for a child that age is to be treated with antibiotics.

OP, it depends. Is the child on day 2 of antibiotics and still has an ear infection, or is the child on day 9 and the infection is already cleared up?

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:54 am
No no no no no. Please don't.

What's the worst case scenario if you DONT give it tomorrow?
You go back next week. What thr worst case scenario if you give tomorrow and your child's body is struggling to tolerate it?

Please don't.

Speaking as a mother of a child who had a vaccine injury many years ago before it was "in style". It's many years now she's doing so much better bh. But still on a healing journey. (Will it ever end?)
And for, all my later kids are all up to date with their vaccinations except for the newborn who iyh will be too.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:57 am
I’ve given shots when baby has a regular cold. It’s basically impossible to have a day in the winter when your baby has nothing going on Sad
If baby is towards the end of antibiotics and is better already I would give

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:13 am

He was so miserable, crying nonstop, not able to sleep, not nursing well... What's the alternative? Let him continue like that till it eventually clears up? Asking genuinely to know. Dr didn't even offer an alternative, I thought it's standard to treat with abx. But glad to learn more

Lovable

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
He was so miserable, crying nonstop, not able to sleep, not nursing well... What's the alternative? Let him continue like that till it eventually clears up? Asking genuinely to know. Dr didn't even offer an alternative, I thought it's standard to treat with abx. But glad to learn more

Op, you did the right thing
My baby gets ear infections often, but I only take her to the doctor for him to prescribe antibiotics when her symptoms reach as bolded above.
you're good Smile

And No, I would not give shots while baby is sick. Wait a week.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:19 pm
Just had this with my 1 yr old. Took her for a well visit, but turns out she had an ear infection
Dr said to push off well visit 10-15 days

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

You did the right thing. Some mothers on here are very against antibiotics, even when appropriate.

I know someone whose child was admitted to a hospital, then transferred to the top pediatric hospital in the region ICU, actually almost died, due to an untreated ear infection. A week earlier the pediatrician had given antibiotics, however the mother chose not to give them. I think she was doing garlic drops, breast milk in ear, etc. instead of listening to the pediatrician. The infection progressed, spread to blood and bone, and the child was fighting for his life.

Moral of the story: find a pediatrician who you trust and follow his/her advice on medical issues.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:24 pm
amother OP wrote:

I asked because most ear infections are viral which is not cured with antibiotics.
I suppose your pediatrician had reason to believe it’s bacterial.
Many ppl take giving children antibiotics very lightly. It’s wreaked havoc on the gut of countless children with side effects lasting long into teen hood and beyond.
So, if you must, there’s no choice, bacterial ear infection needs antibiotics. But if I could give advice to my younger self, I’d suggest first checking that indeed it’s necessary.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:25 pm
My pediatrician wont give shots if the baby is sick, will reschedule the appt for a couple of weeks.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 9:15 am
I asked because most ear infections are viral which is not cured with antibiotics.
I suppose your pediatrician had reason to believe it’s bacterial.
Many ppl take giving children antibiotics very lightly. It’s wreaked havoc on the gut of countless children with side effects lasting long into teen hood and beyond.
So, if you must, there’s no choice, bacterial ear infection needs antibiotics. But if I could give advice to my younger self, I’d suggest first checking that indeed it’s necessary.

Oh I know that antibiotics can do plenty of harm but if it's necessary it's necessary. It did help him bh so no regrets.

To the bolded, how would you go about checking if its necessary?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 9:16 am
I rescheduled the shots for one week after ending antibiotics. Is that good or should I give more time?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics