Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby puts EVERYTHING in mouth

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:01 pm
I understand it's a normal healthy stage BH abd good for immune system blah blah blah
But what's the limit? I don't sweep the floor after every meal (maybe I should? But I think baby would still find what to eat) I'm talking leftover crumbs, dust, dirt, hairs, chewing on chair legs... It really grosses me out. I thought about getting a playard but they're really expensive and if this is normal natural healthy etc then I suppose I shouldn't prevent it, what do y'all think?

Motherhood

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:23 pm
How old is your baby? Is he old enough to crawl around, or if you put him on a mat he stays put?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:24 pm
Moves around

miami85

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:26 pm
Ultimately its normal at this age. You can take inappropriate things out of their mouth and say "Yucky!" and s/he should learn.

Do your best, Maybe get a gate for the kitchen so baby can't snack on the floor leftovers.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:27 pm
Sweep and mop more often
And that's it

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:27 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Sweep and mop more often
And that's it

What are your thoughts on a playard?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:31 pm
Eh it's fine. Don't worry.

Just keep an eye out for chocking hazards.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

Na you can’t leave them locked up forever

I was just thinking back to how clean I had to keep my floors when my 2 year old was at this stage and at the same time looking forward (to the clean floors) and dreading it (the constant cleaning) as my 6 month old will approach that stage in due course.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:41 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Na you can’t leave them locked up forever

I was just thinking back to how clean I had to keep my floors when my 2 year old was at this stage and at the same time looking forward (to the clean floors) and dreading it (the constant cleaning) as my 6 month old will approach that stage in due course.

But it's not forever it's till they grow out of that stage. Am I wrong?
Feeling discouraged Sad
Floor cleaning is not my favorite hobby
Where is that they have cheap labor? South Africa? Maybe I should consider moving Hiding
Just kidding but seriously anyone have anything encouraging to tell this overwhelmed ima as Shabbos looms closer and closer

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Feeling discouraged Sad
Where is that they have cheap labor?

Get a roomba. It’ll clean the floor and entertain the baby

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Feeling discouraged Sad
Where is that they have cheap labor? South Africa? Maybe I should consider moving Hiding
Just kidding but seriously anyone have anything encouraging to tell this overwhelmed ima as Shabbos looms closer and closer

I haven't swept or mopped frequently. My kids are healthy and happy. My current baby is over this phase but even his 3 yr old brother knew to dig in his mouth and take out all sorts of things. BH they explore and enjoy. It sounds like this is your first, so youre floor can't be nearly as disgusting as mine ...

Just keep telling him not in the mouth and pulling it out.

For me it's not the grossest part of parenting. Stomach viruses are .

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:49 pm
At this age you need to sweep and mop often. They grow out of it fast. Once they walk they will empty your cabinets instead.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:53 pm
Omg are you me?
We call my 11 month old roomba lol
Even if I keep the floor clean -swept and washed super often he will literally stick his little fingers under my stove or fridge and extract lint. He especially adores chewing on phone chargers ( hint: they stop working)
What makes it scarier is that he has food allergies
We just got to wait it out

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 3:05 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Get a roomba. It’ll clean the floor and entertain the baby

My baby accidentally turned on ours last shabbos. He wasn't entertained at all. Frightened is more like it😂

oneofakind

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 3:08 pm
Sweep and mop often and watch out for twist ties ( often stuck under appliances). Very dangerous.

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 2:08 pm
My kid put everything in her mouth until she was 6 (sensory I guess). Can't keep them in the playard forever. But, the playard was a lifesaver. I didn't keep her in it all the time of course; at times when I could supervise what she was putting in her mouth, I let her roam the floor so I could start teaching her what is and isn't ok to put in her mouth (again, took years to get this into her, but at least I could remove anything gross or dangerous immediately). And when I couldn't keep a close eye on her even when she was in the room with me (e.g., I was cooking, cleaning, dealing with other household members), I put her in the playard full of toys. It was great - we found a balance, she enjoyed time in both. I kept special toys in the playard that she could mouth and chew on that she didn't have outside it, so she liked being in there.

Also, in general, if your baby is playing on the floor, be very careful of things that are unsafe (choking hazard usually), but also intentionally put things out for her to put in her mouth. I used to just put various toys of different textures and shapes around the living room - they distracted her up to a point (she still ate week old cereal from under the couch, but maybe a little less). And rotate the toys - if there is something she saw every day, she was less interested in exploring it with her mouth, so change the toys on the floor every week or two (you don't need to buy more toys, just split the ones you have in to groups). If she is putting toys in her mouth, she is spending a little less time putting old food in there.

Lastly, we did try and buy toys specifically for chewing that are supposed to be interesting from an oral sensor perspective to a baby. It was in the hopes that it would help minimize what else she put in her mouth. May have helped a little, as she spent a little more time with those toys, which meant a little less time digging out crumbs from under a chair.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 7:54 pm
It's normal. You don't have to sterilize your floors, just do normal everyday housekeeping. I once read this in a magazine:

Q:Till what point should I sterilize my baby's bottles?
A: One day you'll find your child happily chewing on your slipper, and you'll ask yourself "Why am I still sterilizing this child's bottles?"

Naturally you must be on the lookout for small items that pose a choking hazard (How I HATED my older children's preschool projects featuring glued-on buttons and googly eyes that shed all over the floor), toxic materials, items contaminated with body fluids (make sure those used tissues are well out of Baby's reach), sharp objects (be scrupulous to the point of paranoia about cleaning the floor after breaking a dish. Once not long before Pesach I swept up a shard of glass that had evaded my notice from the honey dish that I broke on Rosh Hashana).

When you see your child trying to eat something gross, just take it away, say firmly "Phooey, yucky" or whatever term you use for such things, but no need to fall into hysterics. Unless, of course, it's G-d forbid something that may be toxic, in which case call Poison Control immediately.

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 7:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

I much prefer to make the room, or the whole apt if it's small, into a "Yes space" where it's safe to crawl around. I wouldn't want to be confined to a little baby jail. Better put the play yard around the desk with the computer and wires ie lock up what isn't safe, instead of locking up the baby.

amother
Brickred

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:11 pm
We have lots of mouth safe toys everywhere and just keep offering those or safe snacks instead

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:14 pm
[quote="amother Dimgray"]
Q:Till what point should I sterilize my baby's bottles?
A: One day you'll find your child happily chewing on your slipper, and you'll ask yourself "Why am I still sterilizing this child's bottles?"

This had me laughing. Thank you LOL

Mushka I'd love to hear about how to practically baby proof a room, maybe a podcast? Wink I'm not on Instagram, maybe you have something there

For the record I found something in baby's diaper that looked like a small black piece of something maybe plastic I don't know, I don't want to think to much about it Can't Believe It

But also I was reading through the thread of the teen daughter and I thought little kids little problems, big kids big problems Surprised
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics