Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO Non-Chicken Chicken and Rice
1  2  Next

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 4:36 am
For various reasons, we don't really eat chicken, especially on weeknights. But I SO much want a simple, nutritious meal for my family!! What is similar style to chicken and rice, but not chicken? Prefer not meat either, but will also take ground meat ideas. All the dairy go-to's are so much more difficult and so much less nutritious! (Lasagna, baked ziti, pizza...) What can I throw in the oven and expect my family to eat??

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 4:41 am
Tofu stirfry with brown rice and veggies.
Oh and Gado Gado! Look it up is delicious .

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 4:46 am
Rice and beans. Look for a chili recipe and serve with rice.
Do you do fish?
Baked falafel?

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:03 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Tofu stirfry with brown rice and veggies.
Oh and Gado Gado! Look it up is delicious .

Looked it up- it looks nice, but not at all simple and easily made and eaten like chicken and rice. Thanks though. Tofu stir fry also sounds good, but not something easily made and eaten around here. Thanks again for trying, I do appreciate it!

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:28 am
teachkids wrote:
Rice and beans. Look for a chili recipe and serve with rice.
Do you do fish?
Baked falafel?

Most of my kids won't touch chili, but maybe I'll do it anyway to nourish the ones who will. Fish is definitely an option- and one I always forget! You have an idea of something easy to make and likely to be eaten by very non-adventurous eaters?
Baked falafel is also a nice idea- you have a way to bake it without it totally drying out and falling apart? They like falafel balls, but it feels like eating more oil than anything nutritious.
If you can't tell, I'm extremely frustrated trying to figure out how to feed everyone lately. Very particular kids all under 10. The babies/toddlers are more willing to eat, and I feel like I don't know how to make real food for them just from being out of practice. And everyone else (in other families) just eats chicken all the time!! :'(

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:31 am
myname1 wrote:
Most of my kids won't touch chili, but maybe I'll do it anyway to nourish the ones who will. Fish is definitely an option- and one I always forget! You have an idea of something easy to make and likely to be eaten by very non-adventurous eaters?
Baked falafel is also a nice idea- you have a way to bake it without it totally drying out and falling apart? They like falafel balls, but it feels like eating more oil than anything nutritious.
If you can't tell, I'm extremely frustrated trying to figure out how to feed everyone lately. Very particular kids all under 10. The babies/toddlers are more willing to eat, and I feel like I don't know how to make real food for them just from being out of practice. And everyone else (in other families) just eats chicken all the time!! :'(

We often do salmon teriyaki with a side of rice or potatoes and veggies. Or sushi salad with canned salmon or salmon nuggets.

There's 1 brand of falafel balls that isn't pre fried (I forget the name of it)and I just bake them.

We do mostly fleshigs though because of allergies (tacos and meat lasagna are staples)

sitting

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:32 am
imho the best fish fussy eaters will eat is breaded .
buy cubed salmon. dip in egg then panko...lay flat on lightly oiled baking sheet...spread apart. spray top and bake for 15 to 20 min. serve in pita with salad and tehina or alongside oven rice....whatever they would prefer.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:42 am
Fish & potatoes & veggies
I do it on the stove it would probably work in oven.
Onion slices on bottom. Layer of potato slices. Carrot slices and/or other veggies- I put cooked chickpeas (from can usually), peppers. Spices- whatever you like best if it's with color like paprika-or turmeric. I put salt, pepper, cumin, parsley flakes. Some water- not a lot. Put on stove (or oven) on low flame covered until potatoes soft (20-30 mintues) Add fish on top and pour sauce from bottom on top. Cook until fish is ready. (about another 15 minutes) I love it because it's really easy- (the potatoe are with the peel just sliced) and a full meal in one pot.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:44 am
myname1 wrote:

Falafel baked after spraying with oil is dryer but I've never had it falling apart (but I never use bought, so maybe those will)
I don't mind when it's dry because it's anyway stuffed into a pita with lots of techina.

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:01 am
What about a soup/stew that’s more like a meal
It’s on the stovetop or in a crockpot
With beans or chickpeas rice or farro and lots of veggies

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:13 am
Thanks, all. I'm loving these suggestions. Issue is many of my "big" kids will only eat one thing at a time, as opposed to a mixture. They don't like sauces and stuff like that, only one plain thing. But now I'm thinking maybe the answer is trying to get them used to eating stews and sauces and stuff, rather than trying to find something they'll already love? Has anyone gotten picky kids used to other things successfully? Then at least my babies may not grow up quite so picky. Any suggestions for slightly mixed things to get them used to it?

Smile1234

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:26 am
Minute steak and potatoes if you’re not looking for inexpensive

It bakes for 6 hours in low and melts in your mouth. It’s delicious. (Recipe in between carpools I think)

SG18

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:37 am
Rice and beans. I do homemade baked beans, but you can also do Heinz. I also add sauteed ground beef if I want a more filling meal.

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:46 am
SG18 wrote:
Rice and beans. I do homemade baked beans, but you can also do Heinz. I also add sauteed ground beef if I want a more filling meal.

Feel like sharing your recipe and more specifics on the process? Thanks!

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:50 am
Spicy Moroccan fish (made in a tomato vegetable sauce)

Serve with rice

accountantmommy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:05 am
Buy ready made veggie burgers and bake in the oven. Serve with buns and condiments. Slice up potatoes into fries and bake. Serve with a simple salad.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:54 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Fish & potatoes & veggies
I do it on the stove it would probably work in oven.
Onion slices on bottom. Layer of potato slices. Carrot slices and/or other veggies- I put cooked chickpeas (from can usually), peppers. Spices- whatever you like best if it's with color like paprika-or turmeric. I put salt, pepper, cumin, parsley flakes. Some water- not a lot. Put on stove (or oven) on low flame covered until potatoes soft (20-30 mintues) Add fish on top and pour sauce from bottom on top. Cook until fish is ready. (about another 15 minutes) I love it because it's really easy- (the potatoe are with the peel just sliced) and a full meal in one pot.

My mother used to make this in the 9 days growing up (sans chickpeas and cumin). You've brought back memories!

jflower

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:05 am
cbg wrote:
What about a soup/stew that’s more like a meal
It’s on the stovetop or in a crockpot
With beans or chickpeas rice or farro and lots of veggies

I also add chicken quarters in a mesh bag and use a hand blender to make a thick filling soup. Delicious.

SG18

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:16 pm
myname1 wrote:
Feel like sharing your recipe and more specifics on the process? Thanks!

Homemade baked beans-
Soak white beans overnight
Then, throw them in the instant pot with tomato paste, cumin, paprika, salt, chicken soup mix, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar. Cook for 40 minutes.

Make rice. I do basmati. Put rice and water in a pot, on high until water boils. Once it boils, lower to simmer and cover. Cook until it's done.

Sautee ground beef with salt and pepper- optional.

Mix beans and ground beef. You can add some bbq sauce to the mixture, if you want. Serve over rice.

Alternatively, you can use Heinz baked beans.
Both rice and ground beef are quick, and can be done at the same time.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 5:32 pm
There's nothing wrong with doing breakfast for supper. You can do scrambled eggs, fruit, and some sort of carb.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus