Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Home Helper

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:13 am
About half of the week I'm going to have a home helper. Mainly she will have to do things pertaining to my daughter. Entertaining her when I'm not well or doing my thesis, do what I can't do, and so on.

We need to meet them all, of course, before choosing. Which questions should I ask?

Also, here is a small summary about them. See any red flag?

Anna R., 18, from ____ (rather far), 1st year sociology student, baby sat an hyperactive kid, « real sense of contact and listening but able to be firm when needed », clerk at a manga shop. Didn’t work with babies.

Maud L., 22, from ____ (extra close), puericulture student, baby sits to « keep contact with cuties », « your kid will be well framed with me», worked at my favorite toy shop, day camp worker, esthetician degree.

Mariana P. de S., 20, from ____ (20 kms), worked in a nursery and in a maternity and pediatrics, baby sits kids at home, speaks Portuguese.

Corrine T., 49, from _____ (25 kms), 3 children, 2 or 3 grandchildren (quite unusual in France at 49, so probably from a « baby friendly » background).

We also received calls from, according to my father, « many » women not fitting our basics.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 10:40 am
if its a long term thing I would go for the older woman. somebody who you share a language with is good. you probably want a french speaker, unless you want mati to learn portugese!

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:31 am
Are any of them Jewish? I was thinking more towards Mariana she works in a nursery so she will be more upto date with small children and what is allowed nowadays. Where as the older lady might smack etc.... Also the fact that she has some medical training sounds good. The only thing that puts me off is does she speak good French or only Portugese as Raisin says that won't be much good to you.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:37 am
LOL don't worry they all speak French.

No, no Jew at all, and you're not allowed to require by ethnicity... and it wouldn't be realistic because they would have no one, at least in the area... Sad

su7kids

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:39 am
The most important thing to do is to listen to their philosophies on child rearing. Do they have strong opinions, or do they say "You tell me the way you do it, and I'll do it that way".

Always remember, YOU are the parent, not them.

What is their policy on discipline?

Will you be around while they're there?

Emee

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 12:19 am
I like Maud or Mariana
I have a part-time Nanny and mostly I am home when she is here but sometimes I do have to go out. When I was hiring I interviewed 6 ppl and had planned to hire soone else but then she didn't show up on the first day. anyways to make a long story short. H" made it clear who I should hire and she has turned out great so my suggestion is to daven for clarity and follow your instincts. I had prepared a bunch of questions but in the end I found letting them talk was the best way to get a good feeling for who they are.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 7:10 am
thank you so much, ladies! I'm seeing the first today. I'm impatient and hoping for the best.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics