Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Anyone else have to cook a ton for big eaters?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 3:10 pm
My kids are all big eaters.
They love healthy food, they just eat a lot of it. They are big so need more food than tiny kids.

I just find that I am always cooking a ton.

Anyone else?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 3:22 pm
Yes!
Teenage boys are the best

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 3:46 pm
My kids! They are not big, they are not teens, but they ARE big eaters. Adult sized portions for ages 3 and up, pretty much.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:50 pm
I made 6 lbs of meat into meatballs for chol hamoed supper and there were no leftovers.
So yeah I get it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:00 pm
My poor DH suffered so much with my portion sizes after we got married. He eats big portions, as does the rest of his family... And the poor sons-in-law get hit with huge portions. Surprised My mil always stocked her freezer with grab-n-go chicken/shnitzel for night snacks.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:21 pm
My family eats a ton. Three people eating, two of them are young kids, yet I find myself cooking like I had a family of ten. We never have leftovers of anything, no matter how much I cook.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:29 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I made 6 lbs of meat into meatballs for chol hamoed supper and there were no leftovers.
So yeah I get it.

6 lb for how many people? I do 2 lb for 10 people. I make a lot of meat sauce to stretch it.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:33 pm
I wish! I make a full supper and my kids eat just the rice or potatoes. Maybe they’ll have a meatball or a bite of chicken. I try to get them to eat more and they won’t. Then they’re hungry soon after. 🙄

But I hear how it’s hard to cook so much also! Maybe I should be careful what I wish for 😋

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:05 pm
Yup. My grocery bills are through the roof. I don't post dollar amounts here because people think I'm feeding an army. When shopping day arrives each week, everybody is itching and waiting, feeling like the house is bare.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:08 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
I wish! I make a full supper and my kids eat just the rice or potatoes. Maybe they’ll have a meatball or a bite of chicken. I try to get them to eat more and they won’t. Then they’re hungry soon after. 🙄

But I hear how it’s hard to cook so much also! Maybe I should be careful what I wish for 😋

Same. It would be nice if someone actually ate my food.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:11 pm
Meatballs and tuna patties can be stretched by adding mashed potatoes into the meat/fish.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:19 pm
And I have the exact opposite problem! My kids eat so little. Most are super picky eaters and even when they do eat what I make (almost never🙄) they eat so little of it. For example tonight my 6 year old ate 1/2 a Hamburger and a few French fries for supper and then declared herself too full to eat more Can't Believe It . We're a decent sized family and I often feel like I'm not making nearly enough food but I also know if I make more it will just go to waste. I can make a cup of raw rice and 5 chicken bottoms for my family of 8 and easily have 1-2 pieces of chicken plus some rice left. I guess the grass is always greener Very Happy

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:59 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
And I have the exact opposite problem! My kids eat so little. Most are super picky eaters and even when they do eat what I make (almost never🙄) they eat so little of it. For example tonight my 6 year old ate 1/2 a Hamburger and a few French fries for supper and then declared herself too full to eat more Can't Believe It . We're a decent sized family and I often feel like I'm not making nearly enough food but I also know if I make more it will just go to waste. I can make a cup of raw rice and 5 chicken bottoms for my family of 8 and easily have 1-2 pieces of chicken plus some rice left. I guess the grass is always greener Very Happy

My family is the same

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:14 pm
amother Natural wrote:
6 lb for how many people? I do 2 lb for 10 people. I make a lot of meat sauce to stretch it.

11 but maybe 1 guest ate a few left when supper was over so then 12.
It's special for chol hamoed as I can't afford that on a regular supper so it's only meat sauce otherwise.
But that was with 2 teenage boys home... I need to double whatever I would cook without them!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:17 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:

I have that too lol
Depends on the supper.
Today I made 1.5 lbs of cutlets (no teenage boys) and only a few scraps left but half a pot of orzo is just sitting there. Plus soup which I intentionally made to last more than one meal.

And I can't predict... I'll have nights where my baked ziti is not enough and nights when there's leftovers because my kids weren't in the mood.

I gave up on figuring this out.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:20 pm
Yep, just me and hubby and I feel like I cook for a family of 4 LOL

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:23 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Yep, just me and hubby and I feel like I cook for a family of 4 LOL

So true. Sometimes I get overambitious and give myself a large portion knowing my husband will happily finish whatever I don't want.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 2:26 pm
Yeeeesssss!!!!!
I have 4 teens/young adults. They eat A TON!!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 2:29 pm
Yup. We are the same. And it gets hard sometimes. I try to cook e everything in the oven. I don't know what I dislike more, cooking or washing pots.

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 2:36 pm
Same. Just today the friendly cashier asked me how many kids I have. I smiled but inside I was a little embarrassed. I'm sure he thought I have a much larger family than I do based on my weekly shopping!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics