Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Know of any families like the Machlises, but outside of Y'm?

spinkles

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 2:52 pm
Anyone know of families that have open homes on Shabbos and get a real mix of frum/not frum guests? My (non-frum) in-laws are visiting Israel for the first time, and I would love for them to experience something like this. I'm especially interested in hearing about areas around Tzfas. Thanks! Very Happy

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 2:54 pm
the Rhodes family is beyond belief awesome! I can't remember where they moved to, but I highly recommend them. they're Lubavitch, and have a huge huge mix of all kinds of people all the time. very welcoming, happy, holy people!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 2:54 pm
I think that what the Machlises do is wonderful, but I'm not sure that everyone would appreciate the experience. If they do go, prepare them for a long meal that's extremely crowded and fairly eccentric.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 3:06 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I think that what the Machlises do is wonderful, but I'm not sure that everyone would appreciate the experience. If they do go, prepare them for a long meal that's extremely crowded and fairly eccentric.

I would say that the Machlis's are no doubt wondeful amazing people with huge hearts but I had some interesting experiences. I went in seminary with a girl and 2 boys who I was friends with for a shabbos lunch. We were seated seprately, even tho everyone else was mixed. And in the middle of the meal, one of their "homeless regulars" got into a fist fight with another guy there. He almost fell on us and you could tell he'd been drinking.
And it was my first time meeting a family who really had no mazal. They were a beautiful young family. 2 children, poor, torn clothing, they depended on the machli's for every Shabbos meal bc they had no money to spend. I will never forget them. At the beginning of the meal, the 3 yr old little boy was crying cuz he was so hungry. After the meal you could see how thankful they were that their children were fed and full for once.
What the machlis's are doing is a tremendous chesed to klal yisrael, but I dont think they need ordinary people who "just want the experience". It sounds a little bratty for people to come "witness the way they do it". I think it would be better if they lets say came to help out in the kitchen (although I know they have plenty of children for that) or if buchurim came to sing zmiros. I think it would be a much better chesed than to gawk at the process and eat the foods out of childrens mouths.

Edited. PM me with concerns. -Crayon210

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 3:14 pm
When you mentioned a fistfight I remembered something that happened to us there! A homeless guy threw a fit and tossed a cup of grapejuice at my friend. It got all over her and she had to deal with sticky hair all Shabbos!

I think that if it's not a necessity, they should go to a more mainstream place for a Shabbos meal.

mommalah

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 3:19 pm
RivkiA

Your post has me cracking up!!LOL!!! I'm reminiscing... My friends and I used to go there as a last minute plan when we hadn't made shabbos plans. The family is really wonderful. My friends and I always had an awesome time b/c of the varied group of characters there. There was the man (with a gun) and woman from Chevron dressed as if in biblical times..The big sefardi guy who constantly told this other guy to turn off the cassette (he didn't like the way he sang) and all the clashes and potential fights. My friends and I always had a good time just observing all the interactions.

I'd never thought not to go b/c maybe there were others who legitimately needed food. You make a good point. I certainly wouldn't have gone had I thought I was taking the place of a hungry child.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 5:05 pm
At the beginning of the meal, the 3 yr old little boy was crying cuz he was so hungry

this is normal behaviour for any kid of that age, even if they just had steak for lunch. Kids need to eat often.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 5:38 pm
Raisin wrote:
At the beginning of the meal, the 3 yr old little boy was crying cuz he was so hungry

this is normal behaviour for any kid of that age, even if they just had steak for lunch. Kids need to eat often.

Raisin! You couldnt just go with the flow!! Smile

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 6:39 pm
Tehilla wrote:
the Rhodes family is beyond belief awesome! I can't remember where they moved to, but I highly recommend them. they're Lubavitch, and have a huge huge mix of all kinds of people all the time. very welcoming, happy, holy people!

They are so nice and a little eccentric... they now live in Bat Ayin ba"h.

They do have many different kind of people, but I have never seen any non-religious guest.

spinkles

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 8:50 pm
Thanks for the suggestion about the Rhodes family. If they're in Bat Ayin, it won't work, as my in-laws aren't going to be in that area, but thank you for the suggestion. If anyone thinks of other families, please let me know!

I hear what people are saying about not wanting to take away scarce resources when you don't really need the food. My feeling is a little different: I think that the Machlises and others like them open their doors to people who are hungry for many different things. My in-laws have a life that has very little ruchnius in it (at least on the surface, who really knows). I don't think they'd come to gawk; they'd come to see what a Shabbos seudah is like. (They won't come to ours, but non-family is less threatening.) Seeing a family so immersed in giving to others could have a profound impact. When I went to the Machlises (a couple of times), there were plenty of people there who came because they were curious about Shabbos, not because they had no money to buy food. You can buy challah and chicken, but it's not the same as tables packed with people singing zmiros and telling divrei Torah. You're right that it would be nicer for my in-laws to offer to help in the kitchen, but that takes a very different mindset from where my in-laws are holding.

P.S. I remember the people from Chevron another poster mentioned! I was by their Shabbos Sheva Brachos, at, where else, the Machlises!! I think it was my first time ever eating cholent! I remember being appalled at how hard the mother and her daughters worked, and at the same time, being mesmerized by their happiness. How could it be that they were working so hard yet were so radiant? I really would love for my in-laws to witness people like that!

mommalah

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:10 pm
I also still clearly remember the radiance and contentment that Mrs. Machlis exuded. I freak out when we have like 3-4 guests. That woman is an amazing baalas chessed.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 7:04 am
I don't think the Machlises ever intended their Shabbat table to turn into a soup kitchen. AFAIK there's no reason whatsoever not to go as a Shabbat guest, just because you CAN afford to put food on your table. The idea was to share Shabbat...they don't ask you when you arrive to see last year's tax return (so to speak).

I think what they do is remarkable. A large chunk of our ma'aser money gets sent in that direction...

(Anonymous because I don't think anyone needs to know where I give my ma'aser.)

Ilovechoumous

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 9:12 am
I was a non-religious student of Rabbi Machlis at Bar Ilan, and he invited all of his students to eat by him- all the time.

his chessed actually lit the spark that brought me to becoming more religious. his whole family is involved and are all very into helping perpetuate the chessed, especially his wife Henny. they are really really special people.

if you visit or not, or have visited, you can be part of their chessed by giving them a donation. there is a website that helps them,
http://www.machlis.org/

Today I just got a note from their facebook group that their financial situation is not great as the cost of food has gone up, and shekel has appreciated against the US$$$.

Please visit their website and consider giving them a donation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions