Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Which name for birth certificate?
1  2  Next

Which name should I put on the birth certificate?
Shmuel  
 61%  [ 74 ]
Samuel  
 38%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 120

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 1:52 pm
I want to give my baby an easy name with an easy translation.

Something like:
Shmuel/Samuel
Shimon/Simon
Yisroel/Israel
Yosef/Joseph

So my question is, which name should I put on the birth certificate? (My older kids have names like Daniel, Asher, Levi etc. where there isn't really more than one option)

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 1:55 pm
If it's easily pronounced in English I would give the Hebrew version. So for Shmuel I would write just that.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 1:58 pm
Shmuel.

Easy to pronounce and makes things easier to have the same name on birth certificate as what he is called.

Besides, nowadays so many parents give all sorts of names, many made up.

hodeez

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:17 pm
All my kids have only Hebrew names. If Elon musk can name his kid ucfuwgibonogf12x or whatever, we should be in the clear.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:21 pm
since my legal name is Chava, which is super annoying, I would just go with the English pronunciation to just save time. my son I call and spell Dovid but legally David, its not such a big difference but still worth the few seconds of saving time.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:49 pm
My husband is shmuel and believe it or not ppl have a hard time with it. They usually end up with some sort of “shmool”. He tells them it’s like Samuel with an h.
It would be easier to be Samuel but his father felt very strongly that he should go by his Hebrew name.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:54 pm
hodeez wrote:
All my kids have only Hebrew names. If Elon musk can name his kid ucfuwgibonogf12x or whatever, we should be in the clear.

wait,he did?
Poor Kid!

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:55 pm
People will butcher names no matter what.
My name is Esther and I have been called Es-ther with a "th" sound. 🙄

I am really against using an English name at all. Just stick with Hebrew. People will deal.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:59 pm
My kids all have Hebrew names on their birth certificates, even the one with a Ch name.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 3:01 pm
It's easier for kids when their called In a Dr's office. My kids wouldn't know their English names.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 3:02 pm
Only Hebrew names. My name my parents only put one of my names on my birth certificate not the other two to make it easier. It bothers me till today. In generations to come nobody will ever know I had other names if looking at public records.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 3:46 pm
Whatever your going to call him, put on his birth certificate.
Much simpler to go through life with just one name.
I'm called by a different name than my legal name, and it's very annoying. Even though my legal name is easier to pronounce.

scruffy

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 3:47 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
wait,he did?
Poor Kid!

His name is even worse than that. X Æ A-Xii

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 4:11 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Only Hebrew names. My name my parents only put one of my names on my birth certificate not the other two to make it easier. It bothers me till today. In generations to come nobody will ever know I had other names if looking at public records.

Same, we have two kids with two names, and both only have one name on the birth certificate.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 4:21 pm
hodeez wrote:

This.

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 5:56 pm
I gave for my child Shmuel, I read somewhere that Samuel is the name of the סמא''ל,which is the yetzer hora

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:41 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
My husband is shmuel and believe it or not ppl have a hard time with it. They usually end up with some sort of “shmool”. He tells them it’s like Samuel with an h.
It would be easier to be Samuel but his father felt very strongly that he should go by his Hebrew name.

My son gets called Shu-mool all the time. They can’t pronounce the shm. I sometimes wonder if I should have made his legal name Samuel…. I also end up saying like Samuel with an h. We did Hebrew names on all the birth certificates including one with a Ch sound.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:53 pm
I never had an issue with DH & Kids being named legally by Chaim, Shmuel, Yosef, Shimon, Mendel, Moshe

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 7:44 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
It's easier for kids when their called In a Dr's office. My kids wouldn't know their English names.

If your kid had an English name, she’d know it.

OceanRider

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 7:49 pm
scruffy wrote:
His name is even worse than that. X Æ A-Xii

Is this pronounceable?
Is this supposed to be cool or what?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names