Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Bathroom

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:07 am
I teach 3rd and for years I've had a very loose bathroom policy, basically letting kids go whenever they ask, usually one at a time, more if it seemed like the situation called for it.

My current class is really messing with me though. We'll have recess and lunch and then the second I start class 6 hands go up. One or two kids just hang out in the bathroom and take forever and I got reports that one was even peeking over stalls. The same kid once raised her hand to go during Chumash, I let her and then told them we were going to watch a video about the pasuk, and once she heard that she said "oh actually I don't have to go".

Point is, I never ever want to not allow a kid to go to the bathroom when they have to but these kids are clearly lying about it! What do I do?

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:37 am
How old are they?

I would give them 2 bathroom passes a week but would emphasize before lunch break that they this is the time to use the bathroom.

If a girl would need more than that, they can privately request extra passes.

Ensure that the lines at the bathrooms are not too long during lunch break or that it is stocked with supplies otherwise speak to staff about this.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:39 am
You can restrict the kids that abuse it, best not to restrict the other kids. I would call them over and tell them they have x amount of times they can go out and you expect xyz behavior from them. I would also say they need to go to the bathroom before class and they can't ask you for the first 10 minutes.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:54 am
My general studies teacher had a major issue with this in first grade. She now does transition time every 30-40 minutes, which gives them time to use bathrooms, take drinks, move their bodies, it’s fir five minutes. In the beginning all the kids left and there was a bathroom party. She stood there and it calmed them. Now, the only kids who go out, are the ones that really need to go.
Very minimal requests now during class. And when the do, it’s one kid at a time and if it takes too long, the kids know they’re losing that privilege. You can tell when s kid returns if it was real or just playing.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 7:40 am
I also teach 3rd. I let go when the want, but only one girl at a time. At the end of the day whoever didn't go out gets an extra point for our reward system.
So if they don't really need to go then they'll rather want their point. But if they need to go then they have that option.
I also try to remind them recess time....

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 7:44 am
Sounds like you have certain students who need a break. Can you give them tasks to give them the break they need and see if it decreases the need for them to go to the bathroom needlessly, such as bringing something to the office, getting you a drink of water etc...I don't think you should restrict bathroom breaks...that's a legit need. But maybe give these particular students another option to get the break they seem to need.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 7:59 am
I teach 1st, we have a bathroom pass policy in our school - 1 girl at a time only.

They have a designated bathroom time after lunch, and then again before recess. I find this cuts down on the in and out and the 5 min I give them is worth it.

They also raise 2 fingers when they need the bathroom and I just hand them the pass...

I do have a rule that no going to the bathroom while I'm explaining directions unless you feel it's a true emergency

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 8:35 am
amother Taupe wrote:
I also teach 3rd. I let go when the want, but only one girl at a time. At the end of the day whoever didn't go out gets an extra point for our reward system.
So if they don't really need to go then they'll rather want their point. But if they need to go then they have that option.
I also try to remind them recess time....

Love this!!

I would remind the girls before recess to make sure to use the bathroom. If a girl who is doing it on purpose or doing it to leave the class daily I would tell her I will need to talk to your mother about your bathroom issue since you need to go right after you went. I force rules or programs and hold to it.

Regarding those saying the girls need a break they had recess and peaking over stalls is really not ok. I had a child that needed a break the teacher would tell her when to go take a walk around the building and be back in 5 minutes.

You can also pair up with the principal and have her check out the bathrooms and discipline the girls

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 8:51 am
amother Glitter wrote:
How old are they?

I would give them 2 bathroom passes a week but would emphasize before lunch break that they this is the time to use the bathroom.

If a girl would need more than that, they can privately request extra passes.

Ensure that the lines at the bathrooms are not too long during lunch break or that it is stocked with supplies otherwise speak to staff about this.

I had a teacher who gave x number of passes. I was scared to use them up and never went. I also was not the type of kid to ask to go unless I really needed to.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 8:53 am
You can limit the amount of time.
Like they can’t be out for more than 15 minutes, or they lose the privilege for a week.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 9:51 am
I nver thought the one kid at a time rule was fair. If the first kid is going out when she doesn't need to and abusing her privilege, why does the next kid who genuinely needs to go now need to wait for the first kid to get bored enough out there to decide to return to the classroom? I was often that second kid (or third or fourth) and couldn't wait so long...

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 9:57 am
There's no good answer. Every answer won't be perfect for some girl or parent. It is what it is. I taught first grade and did bathroom time in the beginning of the day (very small class) and that way kids didn't need to go. By recess I called each kid to the bathroom. The principal did not appreciate that I was wasting class time in the beginning of the day. I guess I should have asked the Hebrew teacher to make sure they each go by lunch.

Third is not first though and I remember one teacher as a kid allowing us to go out a certain amount of times a month or term. She would mark it in her roll book. I don't remember exactly but I think 3rd to 5th grade.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 11:04 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
I nver thought the one kid at a time rule was fair. If the first kid is going out when she doesn't need to and abusing her privilege, why does the next kid who genuinely needs to go now need to wait for the first kid to get bored enough out there to decide to return to the classroom? I was often that second kid (or third or fourth) and couldn't wait so long...
Because if there re 2 kids out at the same time they party together..

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 11:14 am
I teach 4th and my students get 4 bathroom passes a month,general rule is one girl at a time, but I don't really monitor it. They just put the pass on my desk and walk out

Most don't use them because I give 3 opportunities as a class to use the bathroom in my 3 hours and 15 minutes

There were two girls who'd go out and party, and I called them out it on it and said that from now on they can't go out a the same time. That's it

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 11:43 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
You can limit the amount of time.
Like they can’t be out for more than 15 minutes, or they lose the privilege for a week.

I think this might work for older kids.
Little kids don't have a concept of time and don't know what 15 minutes mean. Some would be very anxious knowing that they need to come back quick. Also I wouldn't call going to the bathroom a privilege, especially younger grades. It's a basic human need.

Eta- if you do want to put a time limit to it, I would send our with some type of timer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics