Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When do babies respond to their name?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 10:47 am
My baby is 7 months old and doesn't show any signs of recognizing his name. When do babies usually start reacting when someone calls their name?

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 11:01 am
amother OP wrote:
My baby is 7 months old and doesn't show any signs of recognizing his name. When do babies usually start reacting when someone calls their name?

Typically around 9 months to a year (and then a year later they start ignoring you again Laugh )

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 11:15 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
Typically around 9 months to a year (and then a year later they start ignoring you again Laugh )

Lol! Google told me 4-6 months so this makes me feel better. That seemed too young anyway.

Thank you!

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:10 pm
6m here, baby does not recognize name yet.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:11 pm
Average does start earlier, but it’s not cause for concern yet. Do they respond if you make other noises or shake a toy in their direction?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:14 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
Average does start earlier, but it’s not cause for concern yet. Do they respond if you make other noises or shake a toy in their direction?

Yes he does. He laughs when I make repetitive sounds and tries to copy. He also recognizes the sound of shaking formula in his bottle (starts getting excited before seeing it). But he doesn't seem to recognize his name at all...

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:18 pm
Also, once he starts recognizing his name, he may only register from you since he is most familiar with your voice.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 3:53 pm
They start to recognize their names pretty early, but that doesn't mean they turn their heads. Recognizing their name might mean they make eye contact, or stop what they are doing and listen, etc. Not necessarily turning around, which requires certain gross motor skills.

I want to say my kids started to recognize their names (I.e. become more alert/ attentive) around 3-4 months. But I have to check with my husband.

iyar

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:24 pm
Ginger, I don't know your babies but at 3-4 months most babies are delighted to hear your voice and will respond whether you call them Chaya, Mushka, Shira, Tikva or Buttercup. It's the pitch of your voice and the love they're responding to. I think op wanted to know when they recognize their own name to the exclusion of others.

scintilla

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:37 pm
Mine do at around 4 months, but they don't walk till about 18 months, everyone on their own schedule:)

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:41 pm
My 7 mo is advanced in every other area except this. I don’t see that he knows his name at all. But he tried to copy me when I’m singing, he will vary his pitch and vocalize in rhythm. And he recognizes the sound of the door opening when my husband comes home-he crawls right away to the door, and his bottle being shaken-he crawls to the kitchen, as well as other sounds. But he won’t look up or make eye contact when I say his name.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:47 pm
iyar wrote:
Ginger, I don't know your babies but at 3-4 months most babies are delighted to hear your voice and will respond whether you call them Chaya, Mushka, Shira, Tikva or Buttercup. It's the pitch of your voice and the love they're responding to. I think op wanted to know when they recognize their own name to the exclusion of others.

We used to "test" our babies with this - Call their real name, and they turn around. But then call them George, and they still turn around! (Buttercup would've been a good one!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 5:10 pm
iyar wrote:

Yes this exactly. He will look up if I call him anything. I tried calling him random names and they get the same response as his own.

4g01o

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 5:23 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
We used to "test" our babies with this - Call their real name, and they turn around. But then call them George, and they still turn around! (Buttercup would've been a good one!)

This. It's the tone you use, it's the same.
Call your baby 'chair' in the same tone. They'll think that's their name too. Lol

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 7:07 pm
I thought my 8 month old knew his name, I just called out buttercup and he turned around and smiled LOL

4g01o

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 5:06 am
amother Almond wrote:
I thought my 8 month old knew his name, I just called out buttercup and he turned around and smiled LOL

Very Happy cute!
They're all the same Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 3:30 pm
My 7 month old isn't yet and I wasn't expecting him to at all. And he's a very with it kid, reaching his arms out at 3 months old for me to pick him up. Totally socially on target.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics