Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent/shabbos day warm recipe 2ps

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:25 pm
So I'm def coming down with something can't go to Amsterdam for shabbos like this so I need to do things at home.., shabbos starts tomorrow at 4:20 so I need to hurry. I have bh an easy fish recipe, soup ready and 4 challah rolls and some meat in the freezer (turkey roll/roulade, lamb + chicken minched meat a shank and few chicken leggs + wings).
So I want also to have warm cholent but more for 2 persons don't want to eat whole week cholent or something ofr shabbos day.

No I can't buy take out food because I live in Nijmegen and the shlucha is going to her sister so CPS needs to do it her self and she will make something out of it.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:32 pm
How much do you like cholent? Before we try giving you amounts.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:34 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
How much do you like cholent? Before we try giving you amounts.

Me: depends on the cholent but im moderate im not a LOVER of cholent
DH: likes it more then me.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:37 pm
There is a thread of soups someone makes for shabbos instead of cholent if you search and soup makes great leftovers if you make too much.

ETA I found it https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36808

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:40 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
So I'm def coming down with something can't go to Amsterdam for shabbos like this so I need to do things at home.., shabbos starts tomorrow at 4:20 so I need to hurry. I have bh an easy fish recipe, soup ready and 4 challah rolls and some meat in the freezer (turkey roll/roulade, lamb + chicken minched meat a shank and few chicken leggs + wings).
So I want also to have warm cholent but more for 2 persons don't want to eat whole week cholent or something ofr shabbos day.

No I can't buy take out food because I live in Nijmegen and the shlucha is going to her sister so CPS needs to do it her self and she will make something out of it.

Do you have a slow cooker, or what will you be using to cook the cholent in? A cholent with beans, barley, potatoes and meat?

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you have a slow cooker, or what will you be using to cook the cholent in? A cholent with beans, barley, potatoes and meat?

I have a crockpot

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:42 pm
So... One small onion, meat as much as you like, 2-3 small potatoes, a like.. 3 tablespoons barley, maybe 1/4 cup beans.
You need a recipe or just amounts? There are a bunch of threads here about how everybody does their cholent.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:48 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
So... One small onion, meat as much as you like, 2-3 small potatoes, a like.. 3 tablespoons barley, maybe 1/4 cup beans.
You need a recipe or just amounts? There are a bunch of threads here about how everybody does their cholent.
no this is good

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:58 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I have a crockpot

2/3 cup dry cholent beans (soak them first)
2 tsp each salt & paprika
chopped onion, garlic and other seasonings
1 large potato, peeled and chunked
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/2 lb chunk of meat

Add 4 cups water. Cook on low.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 5:19 pm
Refuah sheleimah! We sometimes have chicken soup instead of cholent, especially if one of us isn’t feeling great.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 5:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
There is a thread of soups someone makes for shabbos instead of cholent if you search and soup makes great leftovers if you make too much.

ETA I found it https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36808

I was just about to suggest soup instead of cholent if you're not feeling well. You've got all my usual recipes in that link, although I'd recommend the Yemenite soup if your throat hurts and thicker foods are unappealing. You could also try making chicken soup, although that never works for me in a crockpot for some reason.

Refuah shelaima!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus