Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Polishing detailed silver pieces

meeze

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 10:55 pm
Is there a specific tool or technique used when needing to get into tiny crevices of the silver peices?
Example menorah and silver kiddush cup, they all have tiny bumps and designs that are so hard to get through. I wounder what you all do to get them to shine.
A toothbrush? A special buffer tool?
Pls share all ideas to get silver tarnish to shine.
Thanks

effess

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 11:06 pm
Many silver pieces are meant to have a little black in the crevices, so be aware of that.
I personally use a silver polish rubbed all over, then washed very well with hot water. The buffing and shining is done with a soft shmatte so only shines the elevated parts.
I would not use a toothbrush on silver.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 11:15 pm
You may find it easier to use spray polish instead of liquid in a regular bottle.

balance

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 11:51 pm
The silversmith told me to use polish wadding instead of liquid polish so that it doesn't leave polish residue in the cracks.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 7:55 am
I use an old toothbrush and very hot water to rinse. That said, ornate designs really can't be restored to fresh-from-the-factory whiteness unless you have the item plated, which will lay down a thin layer of silver over the whole thing. Unless you're trying to give the item as a gift or sell it as new, there's no point to doing this. The crevices will soon turn black again anyway. This is not considered a defect, and in most cases is even considered a plus because it highlights the embellishment.

meeze

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 6:30 pm
When do u start polishing your silver menorah if it will stain again till we light on sunday night?

jflower

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 6:56 pm
Doesn't a toothbrush scratch the silver?

bsy

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 7:45 pm
I saw somewhere it was recommended to use a makeup brush. It's softer than a toothbrush and won't scratch the silver.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 8:44 pm
jflower wrote:
Doesn't a toothbrush scratch the silver?

If you're using a brush hard enough to scratch silver, you're using a brush that's too hard for your teeth. Switch to softer toothbrushes for your tooth enamel's sake, and that of your gums.

Rachel8177

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 8:47 pm
My very delicate silver pieces were given in to lacquer. It’s a couple of hundred dollars but worth every penny imo.

meeze

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 8:51 pm
When do u polish the menorah? Will it stay fresh till next week?

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 9:00 pm
meeze wrote:
When do u polish the menorah? Will it stay fresh till next week?

Wrap it tightly in plastic cling wrap or aluminum foil and the answer is yes.

salamanca

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 9:41 pm
I always use a toothbrush on several pieces.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 7:31 am
BTW I do mean an old toothbrush, not a brand new one, which would be a waste. Maybe the bristles soften with use, because I've never know a toothbrush to scratch anything, and I use them for all sorts of cleaning tasks. OTOH we don't buy "extra firm" brushes. A makeup brush wouldn't get polish out of crevices; it would glide right over them.
I use old blusher brushes to apply touch up paint to walls and woodwork.

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 1:27 pm
I concur with all of Zaq's advice. An old, soft toothbruth won't damage your silver.

Silver generally doesn't tarnish within a week, so I leave the menorah out during Chanukah. The rest of the time, I store all silver pieces in large zip-loc bags with a piece or two of tarnish preventative paper inside.

Interesting trivia: Prior to the industrial revolution, silver didn't tarnish as much or as quickly as it does now. Which tells you something about all the stuff in our air. If you pay close attention, you can actually assess the condition of the economy (at least the manufacturing sector) by seeing how quickly your silver tarnishes. Quick tarnishing means a lot of manufacturing.

yamaha

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 8:12 am
Has anyone tried the boiling with baking soda hack in mishpacha this week? I'm curious to try it but afraid it'll ruin my pot

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 9:59 am
yamaha wrote:
Has anyone tried the boiling with baking soda hack in mishpacha this week? I'm curious to try it but afraid it'll ruin my pot

Yes
It removes everything black so there won't be any crevices which are supposed to be black.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics