Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Sonography, Social Work, Special Ed or Nursing
Previous  1  2

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:33 am
amother White wrote:
Why doesn't she get a tech degree like computer science? She'll be paid well and won't have trouble transferring her degree

Lol it sounds like she is looking for a helping profession! Not everyone is cut out for every field!

amother
White

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 11:57 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Lol it sounds like she is looking for a helping profession! Not everyone is cut out for every field!

Lol she can help her family better that way! I feel like most girls in the frum world don't think of other possibilities other than speech and special Ed, but a programmer can earn well and work from home many times.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 12:08 pm
amother White wrote:
Lol she can help her family better that way! I feel like most girls in the frum world don't think of other possibilities other than speech and special Ed, but a programmer can earn well and work from home many times.

As I posted. it seems short sighted to choose a career based on a few years in Israel especially since it is unlikely that one would actually be able to get a job in those fields - at least not without going through lots of certifications and red tape.

The really important issue is what the girl's personal vocational goals are - what are her strengths and weaknesses because frankly the three choices really have very little in common with each other in terms of skill sets and interests.

Social work and special education have one thing in common and that is that they seem to be among the limited career choices from frum women. Neither is particularly well paying unless one does special education in the public schools and has a masters degree or one builds up to having a large private practice in social work that is willing to pay a relatively high rate for your services.

The sonographer might be an interesting choice - is this something the person is actually interested in doing? Have they researched the field in terms of pay as well as opportunities. It would seem to me if someone were interested in technical medical fields, there would be other types of jobs to explore as well.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 12:24 pm
Babysit.
Im serious.
She should not base her career decision on the fact that they are going to honeymoon in e"y for a year or two.
My friends in ramat eshkol either do sheitals or have a playgroup and theyre doing online school for special ed and social work.

(im not even going to suggest speech which is what I do bc it doesnt make any money and the school is too long)

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:08 am
Of all those choices nursing generally will make the most money and has the most potential should she advance to a masters.

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you need to get recertified in Israel?

Yes. And she has to be fluent in clinical hebrew for any medical field if she is going to work in Israel.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:10 pm
With any of these fields she will need to get certification in israel and its a bad idea to base what you want to do as your profession on a couple years in israel.
She should get a degree in something she enjoys and then do something like babysitting while she is planning on living in israel.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:15 pm
Tech is the one place that her english will be considered more of an asset then her lack of hebrew

I do think that we are headed into a Tech recession like the dot. com bubble though, so I wouldn't push her if she isnt cut out or passionate about that.

What about fields that are easily done remote.
Those tend to be the best for short time in Israel people.
They are also not the helping professions which seem to draw your daughter.
Law, Para-legal, CPA (tons of people work remote + all the US citizens in Israel need taxes done), Grant writer, digital marketing, architecture, technical writer, editing/proofreading.

If she is really passionate about helping people I would recommend law.
When she is in Israel she will probably get a boring remote job doing patents or something, and once she moves back she can use her skills in the non- profit sector....

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:00 pm
Bear in mind, if you get a degree, then right away pick up and move to Israel for a few years where you do something totally unrelated, you may have a hard time getting a first time job in your field when you move back a few years later. Gaps don't look good if you've never worked at all in that field.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:44 pm
most people who are only her for a few years just work remote computer jobs for american compnaies but its not enought to support themselves if there not getting any help. im still doing that but now my husband had to go worrk cuz what im aking is really pennies and cant support a family

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:55 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Bear in mind, if you get a degree, then right away pick up and move to Israel for a few years where you do something totally unrelated, you may have a hard time getting a first time job in your field when you move back a few years later. Gaps don't look good if you've never worked at all in that field.

totally not sure in the heimish world.
im an slp for 2 jewish agencies and they didnt bat an eye when they saw I had a 3 yr gap in my resume

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:03 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
totally not sure in the heimish world.
im an slp for 2 jewish agencies and they didnt bat an eye when they saw I had a 3 yr gap in my resume

If you only want to work for an agency. First of all, that limits you to location, mainly NY and maybe Lakewood. Second, whenever agency topics come up here, people sound miserable and angry with low pay etc. I don't know why anyone would choose to work for an agency as it sounds so bad, unless they had no other choice.
Anyway, I don't think you can get a job with an agency in all the fields mentioned. It's really mainly for special ed, therapists, and maybe some areas of nursing.

nursemom1

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:26 pm
Regarding nursing- very few frum girls get Israeli nursing licenses. It’s doable but takes a few months for the paperwork to go through. The language barrier is a big issue and the money is so little that it is often not worth it. Most work remotely for American companies doing telehealth or other remote positions. A gap in your resume would definitely look bad, so your first nursing job on returning from Israel (if you didn’t work at all as a nurse for those years) would need to be somewhere frum or maybe an urgent care or nursing home. You wouldn’t get hired at a hospital with a gap like that unless they’re really desperate.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:11 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
If you only want to work for an agency. First of all, that limits you to location, mainly NY and maybe Lakewood. Second, whenever agency topics come up here, people sound miserable and angry with low pay etc. I don't know why anyone would choose to work for an agency as it sounds so bad, unless they had no other choice.
Anyway, I don't think you can get a job with an agency in all the fields mentioned. It's really mainly for special ed, therapists, and maybe some areas of nursing.

bc there is nowhere else to work.
not everyone wants to work with the DOE with the liberal and trans agenda going on nowadays. and especially since its EXTREMELY hard to find a DOE job.
and not every SLP is trained in feeding to work in a rehab clinic.
that leaves an agency...

I wish there were other options.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 10:04 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
bc there is nowhere else to work.
not everyone wants to work with the DOE with the liberal and trans agenda going on nowadays. and especially since its EXTREMELY hard to find a DOE job.
and not every SLP is trained in feeding to work in a rehab clinic.
that leaves an agency...

I wish there were other options.

The agendas you mention is far overblown, don't believe everything you read in the news about public schools, like about crazy mandated read alouds in kindergarten or drag queens coming in and stuff. Speaking as a public school employee in a diff capacity, so I see what's going on in the classroom. (Maybe there was one crazy story that went viral, of one crazy teacher who probably ended up fired. You know the crazy story about litter boxes in one school bathroom? That was debunked and the politician who spread it had to retract his statement.)

Yeah, it may not be as easy to get a job in the system as it is at an agency but there are plenty of frum therapists who have gotten hired.
I know a lot of frum people who have some kind of bias against working in public schools, and usually they are people who have certain assumptions about what it's like (and most of those assumptions are wrong).

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:21 pm
amother Fern wrote:
most people who are only her for a few years just work remote computer jobs for american compnaies but its not enought to support themselves if there not getting any help. im still doing that but now my husband had to go worrk cuz what im aking is really pennies and cant support a family

This is not true

The lower key, uneducated jobs are like this but I have a remote job that pays enough for us to support ourselves (although we do not live in Romemma or Ramat Eshkol). If you are willing to work live in Ramat Shlomo/ Har Nof/ Neve Yaakov/ French Hill/Ramot it is definitely doable without help.

If you are in one of the fields I mentioned above it is really possible to get a decently paying remote job.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics