Home

Is it time to give up nursing? Update *last update*
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




Skyblue
 

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:08 pm
I wish I would have known about imamother when I was struggling to nurse my first and got terrible advice from lactation consultants, hopefully next time around will be much better
Can you link the Dr. Newman video, I just looked it up and see a few different ones.
Thank you
Back to top

Sommerfugl




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:36 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
I wish I would have known about imamother when I was struggling to nurse my first and got terrible advice from lactation consultants, hopefully next time around will be much better
Can you link the Dr. Newman video, I just looked it up and see a few different ones.
Thank you


Here is the link for the one I watched.

It's really the same as the one in Greece.
Back to top

amother




Skyblue
 

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:38 pm
Thank you
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 8:52 am
So we’ve been going to the doctor every few days for weight checks. The pediatrician said he wanted to see him gain 1oz per day, which he wasn’t doing. Monday when we went he was 6.8 and yesterday he was 6.12!!!!! Yay!!!! I’ve been giving him 1oz pumped bottles after every daytime nursing (thank you to the person here who suggested!!) and yesterday I upped it to 2oz. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with the increased demand!!
Back to top

theoretical62




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:00 am
yay!! I have been watching this thread from the side, silently cheering you on. Happy to hear things are moving in the right direction for you!!!
Back to top

hodeez




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:16 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
So we’ve been going to the doctor every few days for weight checks. The pediatrician said he wanted to see him gain 1oz per day, which he wasn’t doing. Monday when we went he was 6.8 and yesterday he was 6.12!!!!! Yay!!!! I’ve been giving him 1oz pumped bottles after every daytime nursing (thank you to the person here who suggested!!) and yesterday I upped it to 2oz. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with the increased demand!!

Success! Keep the momentum goin!
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:21 pm
I’m so happy I stuck it out! Thank you everyone for your support, suggestions, and cheerleading!! And thank you for not making me feel guilty about contemplating stoping, and switching to formula.
Back to top

amother




Eggshell
 

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 1:01 pm
Nursing plus pumping is a huge undertaking! That’s no simple feat! You get a lot of credit!
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 5:41 pm
On December 1, he was 6.12. Today we went for something else, and while I was there I had him weighed. He was 7.14. The pediatrician is happy but not thrilled. I’ve decided that I’m going to stop pumping and just nurse and supplement with formula. I can’t pump enough for him, so what’s the point? He’s still spitting up a LOT, and also burping a lot, but it’s not stopping him from eating so the pediatrician isn’t too concerned. I am 100% confident in my decision, because pumping and supplementing that way isn’t working for either of us.
Back to top

hodeez




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 5:58 pm
Do you produce more from nursing vs pumping? Have you tried a different pump?

Also go with your gut and see if this avenue will be better for you both. Hatzlacha rabba!
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 6:06 pm
hodeez wrote:
Do you produce more from nursing vs pumping? Have you tried a different pump?

Also go with your gut and see if this avenue will be better for you both. Hatzlacha rabba!

How can I know what I’m producing from nursing vs. from pumping? How can I measure?
This is definitely the right choice for us. I’m not giving up nursing, I really want to do that. I’m just supplementing with formula instead of pumped bottles. Less pressure for me, and hopefully he will gain nicely.
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 6:14 pm
You're doing a fantastic job! Your baby gained 18 ounces in 25 days. That's about 3/4oz per day! That's great!

Honestly, I feel like you need another set of eyes on your situation right now. I've had babies who nursed, babies who were bottle fed, and babies who did a combination of both. Some of them struggled a lot with feeding any which way. I worked with different doctors, feeding therapists, and lactation consultants. All of them agreed that if baby is gaining half ounce per day, that's perfectly fine. If I was you, I'd run it by a lactation consultant and go according to that because baby feeding and growth is their specialty.
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 6:18 pm
I want to add that my 5th baby is 6 months old right now. She wasn't gaining only nursing and I didn't feel up to pumping this time. I've been supplementing her with half ounce of formula after each day time feeding since she's a few weeks old. She's gaining beautifully and I have been able to continue nursing this way.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 6:19 pm
That weight gain is well in the realm of normal...
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 6:30 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That weight gain is well in the realm of normal...

So why does the pediatrician keep saying 1oz per day?
The reason I can’t keep up with the pumping is because I’m giving him about 3oz after each feeding, 3-4 times a day. Today for example, for some reason I only got about 3oz from pumping. Usually I get between 6-9 total from pumping.
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 10:39 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
So why does the pediatrician keep saying 1oz per day?
The reason I can’t keep up with the pumping is because I’m giving him about 3oz after each feeding, 3-4 times a day. Today for example, for some reason I only got about 3oz from pumping. Usually I get between 6-9 total from pumping.

Have you been working with a lactation consultant? I highly recommend it to help you sort this all out. Doctors are great at What they do. Baby feeding is not their field of expertise.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 10:57 pm
Breastfed babies sometimes gain a drop less than formula fed babies and it's ok. An ounce a day is in a high range of normal and your baby is at the lower end of the normal range. And all those babies are ok as long as they're showing appropriate hydration and don't seem overly lethargic.

See here for example https://www.askdrsears.com/top.....gain/

So if you need to bottle feed to maintain current weight gain, by all means continue however works best for you, but if you're trying to supplement because you think you need to feed more, relax. I think your baby's doing fine.
Back to top

amother




Steelblue
 

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 12:03 am
If baby seems happy, is gaining some weight, and pooping regularly, I wouldn’t be concerned at all.
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:43 pm
I took the baby to the doctor last week because he had a rash. While we were there, I had him weighed, and he weighed 7.14
Yesterday I took him to urgent care because he has a cough and the pediatrician was closed. When they weighed him, he was 8.12!!!! Woohoo!!!! I’m so excited!!!
Back to top

gr82no




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:43 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I took the baby to the doctor last week because he had a rash. While we were there, I had him weighed, and he weighed 7.14
Yesterday I took him to urgent care because he has a cough and the pediatrician was closed. When they weighed him, he was 8.12!!!! Woohoo!!!! I’m so excited!!!

Wow! That is amazing gain! I’m so happy for you!
You should continue to have hatzlacha!
Just a thought, this measurement might be slightly off because it’s a difference scale
Back to top
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Looking to give away approx. 40 fuzzy swaddles…
by amother
7 Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:55 pm View last post
Do you keep bank statements from the last 7 years?
by amother
9 Mon, Jan 30 2023, 7:08 pm View last post
What to give Shabbos Hospitality Hosts OOT
by amother
6 Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:38 am View last post
Nursing without getting period
by amother
1 Wed, Jan 25 2023, 7:58 am View last post
Please can you give me your choc crinkle cookie recipe’s?
by amother
1 Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:35 pm View last post