Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
It’s not worth it to shop in the non jewish stores in ny
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:58 am
If you keep cholov yisroel. Last week I went to target, Aldi, then the Jewish grocery for the stuff I couldn’t get in the non jewish stores and I realized I did not save a penny. In fact I spent more. Some items may be more in Jewish grocery but the sales are usually really good so it evens out and I end up spending less than what I did last week. If you keep chalav stam then u can prob save a ton otherwise so not worth it. The only thing that’s usually lower is the cleaning products and bounty and tissues type things. But the plastic plates, cups, cutlery are so much cheaper. So I’m curious, where are people saving when they shop in the non jewish stores? How is it worth it to spend the time to go to those stores then the Jewish ones for the stuff you couldn’t get?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:10 am
Flour, sugar, eggs, oil, spices, produce , pretzels, crackers, cleaning supplies, plastic ware, etc. are all significantly cheaper in a not Jewish store. There is no comparison unless one item happens to be on a better sale at a frum store.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:11 am
Crackers, Grapes and some produce in Aldi's.
Eggs and water bottles in target
Flour and sugar in either target, Walmart or shoprite
Salsa in target

My random list lol

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:11 am
Besides for food, most items are cheaper, the shops are open later, return policies are easier than frum stores.
In Costco, kosher food is cheaper.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:17 am
I keep CY, and shop at Aldi when I can. It really saves a lot of money. I buy eggs, produce, bread products, graham crackers, pretzels, crackers, nuts, pasta, cereal, oil, sugar, flour,orange juice, salmon, plastic bags, paper bowls. I usually stock up on non-perishables, as I can't go every week. But the prices are so much cheaper!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:23 am
I get produce and all the basics (oil, eggs, spices, pasta, etc) cleaning products, toiletries, and paper products at Costco, Walmart, or aldis. Nosh I’ll get whatever is on sale at the frum stores and the rest at Costco or I make myself

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:23 am
I never heard of Aldis but I live in monsey Ny and keep CY. most items are cheaper at Costco and target EXCEPT plastic goods which are usually cheaper at Jewish stores because they get it in bulk and lesser quality from China while the nonjewish stores get better grade plastic goods and charge more.
Obviously I can’t buy chalav Yorker milk and yogurt etc from nonjewish stores but everything else like eggs, oil, flour etc

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:25 am
I agree with OP. If you live in town, good quality disposable dishes are much cheaper in the frum stores. I also happened to notice this week that Domino sugar and Kedem grape juice is more expensive or similarly priced at target.com to frum stores. And for people who are makpid on pas Yisroel, crackers, cookies, bread products, and even pasta or cereal for some, are not options at non Jewish stores.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:30 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
I never heard of Aldis but I live in monsey Ny and keep CY. most items are cheaper at Costco and target EXCEPT plastic goods which are usually cheaper at Jewish stores because they get it in bulk and lesser quality from China while the nonjewish stores get better grade plastic goods and charge more.
Obviously I can’t buy chalav Yorker milk and yogurt etc from nonjewish stores but everything else like eggs, oil, flour etc

I live in Monsey to. I just discovered Aldi. It's down the 59 in the same strip as Party City and Home Goods. Its across from Kohls.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:31 am
Yes, I should have mentioned pas yisroel. And my kids schools only allow heimesh hechsherim. And even the big bags for Shabbos or Sunday my kids eat more than if I just give them 1 snack bag and they’re good to go.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:46 am
If you only eat heimish hechserim, py and cy, what sort of stuff were you hoping to find outside of a kosher grocery store? I can't imagine there would even be anything to look for other than produce and eggs or other things that don't require a hechsher.

I think this is very different from a "not worth it on NY" issue.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:57 am
You're not supposed to blindly shop at any store and assume it's cheaper. Produce, staples, snacks cleaning supplies are generally cheaper at aldi's and Walmart. Target and nicer stores are not as cheap. Paper goods are definitly cheaper at frum stores.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:04 am
You need to know your prices.
I also don’t go to all the stores in one week. B”H I have bothe the physical space and finances to be able to buy extras of things when they are on sale

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:43 am
I also only eat py and cy but I don’t get what your taking about. How I’m the world can you say Jewish stores are cheaper??
Yes for disposables it’s not worth it to buy in non Jewish stores but
Produce
Eggs
Mayo
Keyccup
Oil
Sugar
Flour
Applesauces
Water bottles
And bunch more things are significantly cheaper in aldi/target/Walmart

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:06 pm
I think op means the larger communities with competition between the kosher stores there are really great specials in all stores so if you buy what's on sale you get really good deals.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:19 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I think op means the larger communities with competition between the kosher stores there are really great specials in all stores so if you buy what's on sale you get really good deals.

Yes! Ty! I wasn’t clear in my original post. I live in bp and I found when I shop at krm my overall cost is lower than shlepping from place to place. Some products cost more at krm versus Walmart however the total amount usually ends up less for me. Shlepping to target, Aldi, Walmart is also so time consuming.

octopus

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 2:29 pm
We do most of our shopping at moishas which usually has same prices as krm. Eggs are definitely cheaper there than non Jewish stores (near me at least). We do water, milk, pretzels salsa, at non Jewish stores. I also usually buy some fruits and veggies at non Jewish store because I'm very particular about getting class A stuff. And I don't mind paying the higher price for it.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 2:33 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
I live in Monsey to. I just discovered Aldi. It's down the 59 in the same strip as Party City and Home Goods. Its across from Kohls.

The gas to get till there, at 5 bucks a gallon, ain't giving you much in savings.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 3:37 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Flour, sugar, eggs, oil, spices, produce , pretzels, crackers, cleaning supplies, plastic ware, etc. are all significantly cheaper in a not Jewish store. There is no comparison unless one item happens to be on a better sale at a frum store.

OOT this is true. However in places like Brooklyn Lakewood, Monsey, Five Towns exc it tends not to be true. Prices at big Frum grocery stores in those areas tend to be the same if not cheaper than non Jewish chains, aside from the fact that the non Jewish chains also tend to be further away from where Frum people live. This is coming from someone who has lived in in town NY communities, as well as out of town. And I keep tabs on NY prices, as DH often goes back for business and can sometimes pick up food for me.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:09 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
OOT this is true. However in places like Brooklyn Lakewood, Monsey, Five Towns exc it tends not to be true. Prices at big Frum grocery stores in those areas tend to be the same if not cheaper than non Jewish chains, aside from the fact that the non Jewish chains also tend to be further away from where Frum people live. This is coming from someone who has lived in in town NY communities, as well as out of town. And I keep tabs on NY prices, as DH often goes back for business and can sometimes pick up food for me.

Cant speak for the other areas, but as for monsey I dont agree. I keep chalav isroel (but not pas yisrael) and prices are a LOT cheaper in non Jewish stores such as walmart/target/costco for basics such as EGGS, cereal, sugar, oils, pasta, rice, tuna, honey, spices, crackers, applesauce, peanut butter, condiments, "shabbos drinks" like iced tea, lemonade, soda, baking ingredients like pudding mix, frosting, sprinkles, vanilla extract,- parve ice cream, frozen fruit,-school snacks like pretzels, chips, veggie straws and so much more that I cant think of right now.
Honestly I think the only things I buy in the Jewish stores are fresh fruits and veggies(unless I'll be going to costco), fresh bread, cholov yisroel items and chicken/meat
And these stores are not far at all from the Jewish community (Aldi is further out, which is why I didnt mention them, but when we are near we stock up there so much)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics