Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Johanesburg or Cape Town?
1  2  3  4  Next

racheli:)

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:10 am
Which one is better for a Litvish family with 4 boys? We are thinking of moving to South Africa in 2-3 years, would probably rent a house there. Reason: new life experience Smile At the time I will have a high school boy and kids in primary school. I would be looking into sending my oldest to a Mesivta with A levels.
I have so many questions, first one is which city is better for a frum family, Cape Town or Johanesburg?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:13 am
Johannesburg has the most wonderful frum community. It is very warm and welcoming.
In terms of new life experience, the drum community is like no other I have ever met. But life in south africa is not the most ideal really, if Im honest.
My husband is from there. All of his friends have left, as have his siblings. Its not so ideal with crime etc. Just being honest.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:19 am
I don't know what "new life experience" means, but no one is moving TO South Africa these days. Do you have other options?

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:19 am
What about health insurance? I know people need a private one, how much does it cost?

I saw house prices, so affordable to rent!

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:20 am
amother Red wrote:
I don't know what "new life experience" means, but no one is moving TO South Africa these days. Do you have other options?

We we’re thinking of moving there for 3-4 years just to experience the life there, see how it is. We have lived in different countries before, so now we are having this idea of moving to SA 😀

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:28 am
If you have flexibility, why wouldn't you go to Israel? Vacation wherever you like, but only.one place is home.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:29 am
racheli:) wrote:
We we’re thinking of moving there for 3-4 years just to experience the life there, see how it is. We have lived in different countries before, so now we are having this idea of moving to SA 😀

only know people who have left due to the high crime rates and need for personal and home security.

have you ever visited there and seen how people live?

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:32 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
only know people who have left due to the high crime rates and need for personal and home security.

have you ever visited there and seen how people live?

Haven’t been there yet, from what I’ve seen online you can buy a 6 bed mansion in jewish area of Johanesburg for around £200k and have a full time made for £300 a month, so idk that sounds pretty cool

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:33 am
Then you would have to figure there is a very strong reason that so many with families, community ties, jobs, etc are leaving, have left, and don't stay to enjoy such a lifestyle.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:44 am
Thought this was so widely known amongst frum yidden that I am surprised this is news to you.

Since you say you are exploring for a move only in a few years sounds like you have plenty of time to look for other options.

OceanRider

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:48 am
Please don’t move solely based on what you’ve read online.
Why not try it for a month or two during summer vacation and get a real feel for the place yourself?

ETA and if it doesn’t end up being so promising as it sounds right now, it will also be a life experience Smile

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:49 am
Is anyone here from South Africa?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:52 am
While I wrote the frum community is wonderful, the "experience" of living there is not domething I think you need to experience. The crime there is unreal. Where eould you be coming from? I think SA is better for a holiday, but not to live there.

My4Jewels

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:55 am
I’m also surprised .. it’s so well known among my circles both in The tri state area and when we made Aliyah that South Africa is super dangerous .. people can’t walk around freely there are muggings and other terrible things very very frequently .. Ofcourse it’s cheap to live there since everyone is moving OUT of there so everything’s cheap.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:57 am
I'm not sure about real estate, but Mexico might offer a lot of what you're looking for. Not that safe but the community's thriving. I don't know if language is such a biggie.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:01 am
Is anyone here from South Africa?
Again, my husbands friends, both frum and not frum, are moving out. They dont want to bring their children up there.
The community is around 50,000 jews. It used to be much much bigger.

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:19 am
I live in Israel. We keep getting more S African olim every year and they would think you're crazy for moving there. According to my friends, most people want to get out but some can't because the exchange rate isn't great and they can't afford it.

tichellady

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:22 am
cape town is much safer and feels like more a european city. joberg is very different in terms of people not really walking alone and lots of security etc. cape town is beautiful. joberg is not. cape town is much more expensive. I vacationed there. honestly get the appeal to move there although it is true that everyone does seem to want to leave but I think that’s because economic opportunities are not great. if you just want to go for a few years and have the money figured out I would think would be different. definitely would be an adventure.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:26 am
I have South African relatives and most of the younger (and not so younger) generation has left.
I understand that living there must have a lot of benefits, and I can certainly understand why people would stay there despite the challenges, but I can’t fathom why anyone would choose to join the community without any previous ties.
OP what country are you from? Are you seeking to leave your current country because of financial issues?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:51 am
I have family and friends there. Yes, it's a nice life with the mansions and full domestic staff...that you have to live behind gates, armed security, and armored vehicles. Jo'burg makes NYC look like a safe small town where nobody locks their doors at night. Several people I know have been robbed at gunpoint, one of my friends was even forced into her own trunk! There's a reason so many are leaving. So many have now moved to Australia, Israel, or the US, and more are leaving every day.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating