Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Unpopular opinion: you don’t need your makeup done
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:35 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
MUA here.
Ppl get their makeup done for many reasons. Some want it to last longer (esp for a Shabbos simcha), some don't own so many products - they just have the basics they use everyday.
Some people have the money and they want to pamper themselves during a hectic simcha season.
Some people don't want the stress of having to worry if their face is good, they'd rather pay a few dollars and not have the hassle.
And, believe it or not, many people really don't know how to apply makeup properly. Many people aren't big into makeup. It's a lot easier to watch the tutorial than to actually do it. Not everyone can really make themselves look stunning without the help of a makeup artist.

If you can do it yourself - kol hakavod!

See. This is what bothers me. That your commercial for your product is taken as gospel. First make women feel like they’re bad at something, even something as simple as knowing their own face. Then tell the rest of them that it’s a huge hassle to put on their own makeup for ten minutes and instead sit in your chair for 45 minutes because stress before a wedding is mostly about your makeup and not all the things that need to get done.

I am very close friends to a particular makeup artist that is the best in the biz. She is truly wonderful. I’m sure you are too.

But what was once a luxury item for a once in a lifetime event is now a standard practice for your neighbors vort or a random Shabbos is totally crazy. Our standard of living is ridiculous and equally unnecessary.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
“Most of the time”?? No.

Most of the time I can tell women are wearing wigs. No one has this amount of hair on one head. (Rarely). And I can tell when women have lashes on. Unless you’re Persian, your clustered lashes are very very obvious.

Also, the women who are religious about fake lashes have nearly no lashes of their own left.

You can only tell about those who aren't looking natural. If its done well, and looks extremely natural, you wouldn't be able to tell. Hence the reason you don't notice them!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

But what was once a luxury item for a once in a lifetime event is now a standard practice for your neighbors vort or a random Shabbos is totally crazy. Our standard of living is ridiculous and equally unnecessary.

Totally agree with this comment. It's crazy what we normalize as being a basic standard.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
See. This is what bothers me. That your commercial for your product is taken as gospel. First make women feel like they’re bad at something, even something as simple as knowing their own face. Then tell the rest of them that it’s a huge hassle to put on their own makeup for ten minutes and instead sit in your chair for 45 minutes because stress before a wedding is mostly about your makeup and not all the things that need to get done.

I am very close friends to a particular makeup artist that is the best in the biz. She is truly wonderful. I’m sure you are too.

Oh so this is your real beef
As usual this common argument
Should’ve known this was coming
Trying to force everyone to do what someone else wants
Make your own decisions
Doesn’t matter what others are choosing to do

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:27 pm
Better to stay away from “you” language and use “I” language

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:28 pm
And fyi
“Gospel”?
Not a Jewish thing

DustyDiamonds

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:44 pm
OP, I’ve got some great suggestions for more PSA’s for you to post:

PSA: You don’t need personalized cookies or party favors at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs or any other party! Everyone attending already knows the guest of honor’s name!

PSA: You don’t need centerpieces as Simchas! They are a waste of money and block the view across the table, and guests come for the company and the food, nobody cares about flowers or candles in middle of the table!

PSA: You don’t need paper invitations to simchas! It’s a waste of money printing and all the stamps, and everyone just throws it out. Just text or call your guests!

Oh, and please use your screen name for future PSA’s. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:47 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Oh so this is your real beef
As usual this common argument
Should’ve known this was coming
Trying to force everyone to do what someone else wants
Make your own decisions
Doesn’t matter what others are choosing to do

It was titled unpopular opinion for a reason. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me. If you wanna get mad about something I told you you wouldn’t like, that’s on you.

Everyone goes into adolescent tantrum mode the minute people tell you something you don’t like. I’ll do what I want! Don’t tell me what to do! What’s next? You’re going to run to your room and slam the door? You’re a grown person you can agree or disagree and move on.

The OP of that other thread that is aghast that she has to spend a thousand dollars on a beautiful girl because everyone HAS to have a makeup artist is just a symptom of the cause. But let’s all lie in the bed we’ve made and pretend it’s all just “choice” that we have here.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Another unpopular opinion: those fake lashes look really really weird.

Maybe depends how they're done, my make up artist did my lashes and they looked fab - natural and nice -my real lashes are short and light and thin. these were not the over long exaggerated heavy ugly fake broom like things, just natural longer more noticeable

And make up artists makeup lasts longer because they apply it well, layer by layer, patiently, like a painting, so it definitely stays well. On our photos which were not edited enough tho they should have been I look really good - just well made up, not heavy at all, just very enhanced pretty (I didn't know I had natural beauty lol)

This mua actually gave us a short course once on applying makeup with all the tricks, the biggest tip is applying thin layer by thin layer, this gives a long lasting application without the plaster look. But you need patience. on the day of my son's bar mitzva it was good I got it done - the only twenty mins I sat down all day and I would have been too nervous to apply it patiently myself - my hands would have been shaky from nerves so yes I never use mua but at my own simcha or when I'm the baalas simcha that's the time to use them

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
It was titled unpopular opinion for a reason. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me. If you wanna get mad about something I told you you wouldn’t like, that’s on you.

Everyone goes into adolescent tantrum mode the minute people tell you something you don’t like. I’ll do what I want! Don’t tell me what to do! What’s next? You’re going to run to your room and slam the door? You’re a grown person you can agree or disagree and move on.

The OP of that other thread that is aghast that she has to spend a thousand dollars on a beautiful girl because everyone HAS to have a makeup artist is just a symptom of the cause. But let’s all lie in the bed we’ve made and pretend it’s all just “choice” that we have here.

For her daughter’s wedding. Not a random neighbor’s vort. Please compare apples with apples.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:55 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:

PSA: You don’t need personalized cookies or party favors at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs or any other party! Everyone attending already knows the guest of honor’s name!

PSA: You don’t need centerpieces as Simchas! They are a waste of money and block the view across the table, and guests come for the company and the food, nobody cares about flowers or candles in middle of the table!

PSA: You don’t need paper invitations to simchas! It’s a waste of money printing and all the stamps, and everyone just throws it out. Just text or call your guests!

Hey! Stay away from my personalized cookies. They’re my favorite. I have some in my freezer right now. 😂

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:55 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I married into a family where every aunt/cousin/Kallah maidel gets full hair and makeup for every simcha. I’m just sitting here like who has the time and money for all that???

When my friends started getting married, I spent all of my free time for maybe a week watching different videos and trying different makeup techniques. I can do my own makeup in 30min if I’m going all out, 15 if I’m less concerned. No way am I shlepping to a mua to pay at least $100 while she has to figure out my color palette and tastes several times a year

good for you - way to go!! smart smart!!!

I took this short course where we learnt how to apply our own makeup - was worth every cent, it's brilliant knowing I can confidently apply my makeup

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:00 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Never saw them look gorgeous. Obviously it's a matter of taste and what we're used to.

if it's done well and with individual lashes they look very good. I would upload a pic of my face if I could - no way can you tell I've got the fake ones on.
It's same with all makeup - foundation can look great or cakey, red lips can look pretty or over heavy, blush and rouge can look overdone or natural. Perhaps your natural bare mikva ready face is pretty but when I have no makeup I look like I have zero eye lashes and no eye shape, pale lips, pale skin and I feel like I need an iron transfusion. as soon as I apply some black to my eyes and eyebrows and some red to my lips or even just gloss I look alive and healthy and happy!

top mom

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:00 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:

As a cookie decorator, I don't appreciate this PSA Wink

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

Hey, do you mind being so harsh? She did not make anyone feel bad - she wrote so maturely and informative - mostly facts!

If everyone is weak and has to follow trends they can not afford then they have to straighten their backbone and sort themselves out. Not everyone uses mua for every simcha - I can probably off the top of my head in ten secs count ten people who always apply their own makeup and hundred others who use mua for their own immediate simchas like when they are the mother of the bride and groom or of the bar mitzva boy. Yes as MUA said - there is definitely a place for their services - have you never seen people at weddings looking a bit wrong with caking makeup, non straight lips and eyes - it's fine if they want that but I do not want to look like that. Of course not everyone can apply their own makeup well, same as not everyone can make their own beautiful looking challos and that's all ok but for those who need the services of others - that's why those service givers exist. Are you not exaggerating when you write that people get their mu done for neighbors vort or random shabbos? I don't know anyone who does that.please. your tone is harsh. not nice. and if they can afford to get their mu done randomly then good for them - are you jealous?

Muas do a great chessed beautifying yiddishe mamas and daughters, please don't write like that. She was not commercializing just writing very sensibly.

I visit an old lady, she described how in Germany there were furriers - people who made the fur coats etc, now these were luxury items - who needs a real fur coat? But she said her mother used to say, the wealthy people who are buying the luxury items are giving the furriers parnassah! What an ayin tova! and also actually the truth - everyone neess parnassah, Hashem wants this world to be a world full of everything! We are so lucky!

Have an ayin tova, let everyone enjoy the services they enjoy. Do you not ever spend money on yourself to feel good? If someone loves full face makeup done then why is that worse than getting a massage or buying a new book? we can start a thread on how crazy it is to buy new books weekly or monthly - especially in today's economic climate when a book can cost $40-$50! Or what about the magazines - buying two or three of them can cost almost $20 weekly, but so what?! If that's what makes someone feel good AND they can afford it then by all means they should go ahead. And for those who spend what they can't afford it's not the luxuries existing that's wrong it's their spending behavior that is wrong. Please don't begrudge people to feel good doing what they feel good doing!! Have an ayin tova - you know, for some, makeup is like art - it's an unbelievable skill and an outlet of creativity and it is brilliant what one can do with some makeup - one mua made someone's nose a bit shorter by applying the right shading - it's brilliant - it's fabulous - it's so smart - it's just glorious! (Yes - I am always so inspired and amazed by art!) We women have the koach of beauty and beautifying. Please don't focus on the few make up artists who may apply gaudy and heavy makeup - most are not, they are women just like you and me trying their best to do the right thing and what they're good at - you wouldn't want to pay $600-$6000 dollars for a wall painting they would make and sell otherwise so don't wrong them and confine them to a cage where creativity has no place. Hashem made creativity, it's meant to be used not suppressed.

and the mua I know all charge around $40-$60 max so it's not $100

Hugs and ayin tova to you

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:16 pm
Beautiful green just beautiful

Hugs health and happiness to everyone! Menuchas nefesh!

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:48 pm
I like doing my own makeup. Less likely to end up looking like a transvestite.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:57 pm
Didn't read this whole thread, but I know plenty of people who do their own makeup every day in a way that looks professionally done. (Granted, at least one of them is an actual mua herself, but not all.) People can now have at home airbrush equipment, and some women are more into beauty and watch enough videos to be able to make themselves look insta-ready every day. My point being you may assume someone paid to have it done, but they did it themselves.

Don't bother going down some judgment path with me, most days I wear absolutely nothing, and for events I usually just do the eye/lip stuff. And I still think there's nothing wrong with doing a full face every day if that's what floats your boat. And yes, my friend who do this know how to do it and look absolutely beautiful.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you’re not the mother or sister of the bride and groom, and just a regular wedding guest, you don’t need your makeup done. Heavy makeup is for the pictures. Up close it doesn’t look great.

Feel free to send tomatoes my way.

I did my makeup when I was a bride and many years later when my daughter was. (I'm not in any way shape or form a professional.)

Feel free to send tomatoes my way.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:50 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:

Agree with all of these! Definitely all unnecessary, especially if people are struggling financially. You can have an amazing Simcha without this.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics