Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Help me with whole wheat challah, please!

LO

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 3:46 pm
Hi all! My family wants to start switching over to whole wheat challah. I think I would like to do it gradually, starting with 1/2 white whole wheat and then reduce the white flour. I looked on this site and on google and tried 3 different recipes over the past week. They were all gross. Sad Very heavy and totally not something anyone would eat unless they were really devoted to whole wheat....which my family isn't.

Can you please help me find a good, foolproof recipe that will be at least somewhat fluffy and soft? Can be either fully white whole wheat or half white, half whole wheat. Please also give me specific instructions/tricks to make it more fluffy and good.

Thanks in advance!

ez-pass

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:35 pm
I make white whole wheat challah. It comes out pretty soft. This is my recipe. (I am not exact with yeast amounts or flour)

Yeast
6 cups warm water
4 eggs
1 cup.oil
2 cups honey
About 6 pounds flour. You may need more ( I put in flour until the dough is sticky to my touch but doesn't stick to my fingers really)
Pinch of salt

I mix it in my bosch. Let it rise an hour. Shape rise again for about 1/2 hour. Egg and bake on 350 till done.

yads

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:38 pm
This one is super moist and fluffy. The vital wheat gluten is a must to prevent it from being dense. I multiply the recipe by 4 so I can use 5 lbs of flour. Hatzlacha!

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....llah/

s1

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:02 pm
I use this one

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-7553

It was the winner of their wholewheat challah competition.

abs

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:11 pm
Are you using regular whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour?
The white whole wheat flour is much lighter in density and in taste.

LO

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:25 pm
Thanks, everyone! Where would I buy vital wheat gluten? It doesn't look like my grocery store has it. Also, is there a brand of white whole wheat that is lighter and better for challah?

keeptrying

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:26 pm
LO wrote:
Hi all! My family wants to start switching over to whole wheat challah. I think I would like to do it gradually, starting with 1/2 white whole wheat and then reduce the white flour. I looked on this site and on google and tried 3 different recipes over the past week. They were all gross. Sad Very heavy and totally not something anyone would eat unless they were really devoted to whole wheat....which my family isn't.

Can you please help me find a good, foolproof recipe that will be at least somewhat fluffy and soft? Can be either fully white whole wheat or half white, half whole wheat. Please also give me specific instructions/tricks to make it more fluffy and good.

Thanks in advance!

Use white whole wheat Wink

LO

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:27 pm
Also, what is the whole wheat blend in the kosher.com recipe? Is it half white? Meaning, would I sub half white flour if I make it with another brand of white whole wheat?

Olive

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:27 pm
I've not been successful with ww chalah. I've been using spelt for years & the chalah is delicious. We eat ww bread but for some reason it doesn't seem to work for chalah.

LO

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:28 pm
bella613 wrote:
Use white whole wheat Wink

I am...Sad

abs

LO wrote:
Thanks, everyone! Where would I buy vital wheat gluten? It doesn't look like my grocery store has it. Also, is there a brand of white whole wheat that is lighter and better for challah?

Try a health food store

LO

Olive wrote:
I've not been successful with ww chalah. I've been using spelt for years & the chalah is delicious. We eat ww bread but for some reason it doesn't seem to work for chalah.

Can I have that recipe, please? Definitely willing to try....

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:30 pm
If you're doing a mix, be sure the white flour you use is bread flour. That already has gluten added.

For all whole wheat challah, you really need to add your own. Here's an Amazon link with hechsher:

Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour, 20 Ounce https://a.co/eSnJvgD

s1

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:37 am
LO wrote:
Also, what is the whole wheat blend in the kosher.com recipe? Is it half white? Meaning, would I sub half white flour if I make it with another brand of white whole wheat?

I use half strong white flour and half strong wholemeal flour. (But I’m in the UK so could be the flour is a little different)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads