Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Mommy is sick - household dysfunctional

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:57 pm
I'm pregnant and weak, and guess that's why I'm being pounded by a series of nasty viruses. I've been sick on and off for close to 2 weeks already. Currently, I'm having severe diarrhea, I'm so weak I can barely keep my head up, and I'm busy trying to stay hydrated to avoid landing in the ER.
My kids are getting to bed who knows what time. They have been late to school for close to a week (and they aren't all young). Supper is late and they're starving, and the laundry situation is definitely not helping them get to school on time.
Is it a problem for them to be living through what is a (hopefully!) temporary state of total dysfunction?

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:00 pm
This is temporary. Everyone will survive. Cereal for dinner is okay if that's all you can manage. Is there anyone you can lean on for help? A relative, good friend or neighbor? Can the community arrange some meals, just for a few days while you are feeling especially awful?

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:02 pm
Temporary when I had HG I was often sick I got bronchitis as well and whatever. But it is my first and then I spoke with women who also had HG and already a whole breed, and all these women said that they had to slow down a lot. DH had to do lots of things, they asked teens to help out... No you don't need to give explanations just that u aren't feeling well.

amother
Coral

Refuah shleimah!!! I'm in a similar boat with the preg and diarrhea, wondering if you're me? What is saving me though is the babysitter I have. She comes in the morning for a few hours, usually the kids are dressed when she comes but lately with this big she's been getting them dressed while I pack lunches and throw a protein bar at them out the door. She also does laundry for me. I don't know of you're in a situation to hire help, but in either case, maybe your local high school has chessed girls available? They can help with stuff in the afternoon to make nighttime and therefore mornings go smoother. Also, lean on your husband if possible. I'm currently sitting on the couch while he watches most of our kids outside so I can rest.

amother
Brown

Oiy I ttly get u. I'm like that when pregnant..husband needs to do way more housework than he wants and we live a but dysfunctionally till baby comes

mha3484

Reach out to your community. My local chesed org would send you meals and a cleaning lady if you lived in my city. The bigger communities should for sure offer more then mine. Also take your laundry to a wash and fold. It will take a big stress off your shoulders.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm pregnant and weak, and guess that's why I'm being pounded by a series of nasty viruses. I've been sick on and off for close to 2 weeks already. Currently, I'm having severe diarrhea, I'm so weak I can barely keep my head up, and I'm busy trying to stay hydrated to avoid landing in the ER.
My kids are getting to bed who knows what time. They have been late to school for close to a week (and they aren't all young). Supper is late and they're starving, and the laundry situation is definitely not helping them get to school on time.
Is it a problem for them to be living through what is a (hopefully!) temporary state of total dysfunction?

Had that terrible virus recently and it makes you feel so weak is there any way that I can help do you by chance live in Lakewood then I would love to help you if you want

happytobemom

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:05 pm
So sorry you're feeling so awful!
About your children, don't worry. They'll be fine.
Iy"H it'll be over soon, and they'll forget you were ever "dysfunctional".
Just do whatever you can to take care of yourself!

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:29 pm
Where's your husband?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:35 pm
Going through the exact same thing. I’m in bed all day and night . Poor husband doing his best but it’s totally not functional.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:37 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Going through the exact same thing. I’m in bed all day and night . Poor husband doing his best but it’s totally not functional.

my offer stands for you too (if you are in Lakewood) just went through this and feel bad for all of you

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:22 pm
Thanks! Wish I could take you up on it! My husband is also recuperating

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Wish I could take you up on it! My husband is also recuperating

not try to be pushy just letting you know that I am serious about offer (I was so sick for almost a week that I feel for all of you)

exhausted

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:07 pm
Op can you state your location?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:25 pm
As someone who grew up with a mom who had severe hg and a double digit family , I can say it severely affected my childhood and my relationship with my mom. We got so used to things falling apart and having no relationship with her that the times in between when she wasn’t sick or post partum were few and far between.
As an adult, (who also has had hg with each pregnancy) take that into account with family planning. Yes, your kids will be ok for 2 weeks of you and your husband being sick. But if your sick for 9 months, don’t do it to your kids again in another year or they will resent you for it.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:28 pm
Did you consult with your doctor? You might need the ER if you are dehydrated.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:22 pm
I’d order pizza for dinner and do cereal and milk.
I’d have them skip homework to keep the bedtime schedule going.
When I’m pregnant it’s really hard to have the whole schedule upside down. So that’s where I’d try to put my resources whatever they may be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics