Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen remodeling - I'm so overwhelmed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:42 am
B"H I have this problem, but I'm so overwhelmed.
We have the opportunity to do a kitchen remodel. My current kitchen is half broken and from the 1950s, for reference.
I work full time but do have down time to deal with this, it's just that I feel stuck and overwhelmed. I have no idea where to start. We got quotes from a few contractors. It seems I could save around $10-15K by doing design, buying cabinets sinks materials etc on my own. But even if I go with the contractor/firm who gave the higher quote and it will include design and cabinets, I have to buy all the appliances either way. There are 2 thousand different decisions to make, it's high stakes due to the cost, I really want to come out right! Overall I am just feeling overwhelmed about where to start. I wish I could hire someone to design the perfect layout and make all these choices for me so it will come out beautiful and functional.
I live out of town, so the local cabinet companies which include designers, don't necessarily have extensive experience with kosher kitchens and large families (so there is one that I know a few people may have used), making the most of a small space to maximize organization etc.

I don't even know if any of this makes sense, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Even if you just have a small tip like which oven you love etc. I'd appreciate it !! Awesome now with all the Black Friday sales, I feel like I need to jump and buy all the appliances so I don't miss out.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:47 am
I'm also redoing my kitchen. I have my contractor - someone I've used on other projects and am happy with. And I have a kitchen designer, which is of course so much better than me just trying to lay this out on my own, but I'm still so confused about what to pick, particularly with appliances. Opting for shabbos mode items narrows the field a bit but there are still so many choices within similar price points and I've no clue. It's definitely overwhelming. I'm going to try to make some time to visit showrooms to see if any appliances or design ideas jump out at me. I know there are a gazillion sites online to look at pictures but everything starts to looks the same after a while. I think in person will be better. Hopefully.

Tova

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:01 pm
If you are in Maryland you must contact Rubber Ducky. She is exactly what you are looking for.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:26 pm
Ha ha I feel your pain. I had a terrible run down kitchen but the idea of remodeling it was overwhelming to me.

What I can say is that by a combination of diligently doing research in terms of everything involved AND luck in hiring a great kitchen designer who recommended a great GC who used high quality workmen the end result exceeded my wildest dreams.

That said, do not even think about doing this without hiring a good designer and a good General Contractor. You don't know what you don't know and any amount you think you will save will not be savings because you will wind up wasting money; having more aggravation; having a poor result and spend hours that you don't have.

I would suggest slowing down a bit - researching - looking at kitchens - thinking about how you want your kitchen to function. Go to the kitchen forum on houzz.com and start reading threads about kitchens - go on the internet and start looking at kitchens that immediately you like and save them into a folder. When you get to the stage when you are ready to start actually hiring a designer you can show her your "aspirational" kitchens - discuss how you want it to function and it is a starting point because a great kitchen is the result of a collaboration between the homeowner, the GC and the designer

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens

Here is an excellent "read me first thread" from houzz

https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....#n=10

It has basic things to learn plus links to other threads which have exhaustive information.

Truly any time you spend learning the basics will more than pay off when you step into your new dream kitchen that was designed just for you - functionally and aesthetically.

mommyto3RN

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:53 pm
So it really depends on some things. Are you keeping plumbing in the same area or moving it? Are you just looking to add certain things but keep existing plumbing for dish washer sinks etc. adding a dairy side?
I for sure second the need for a kitchen designer. You can probably find one with another company that will do the entire design layout and needs to give dimensions for cabinets, how far from ceiling and all that. It is not easy to do this on your own. Once you have the layout you can order your own cabinets if you have someone who will install. The only issue getting cabinets and instal from different places is the cabinet company might not liable once you get possession of the boxes. Sooo from experience it is worth to have the people you buy cabinets from install them. We’ve had issues, soo many, with install and the pulls and they had to reorder things and fix stuff and it was in our contract that it’s their responsibility as they bought and installed cabinets. Had we used different people to instal we would’ve been liable for it all.

So thinking to save a bit here and there might not be worth it in the end actually.
Plus if you move plumbing they should probably come out first to see where pipes need to be placed before thinking kitchen layout because that will determine where what goes.

Cabinet people might not know a kosher kitchen but you tell them your needs and they are good about designing what you need. But you can go back and forth moving things until you are happy with the functionality of the design. Tell them I need 2 sinks, certain length of counters, dairy here etc.

Hope this helps.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:59 pm
I just did a major house remodeling a few years ago, including my kitchen and I'll tell you this, as much as I studied the appliances online ,even after I got some help from a store I called, my husband said I'm not buying appliances for so much money without seeing it. We went to a local showroom and he was right. Nothing like seeing it...

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:07 pm
Definitely you want to see things in person but researching on the internet helps you be more focused when you visit the stores. That way you have your choices and can inspect them in person rather than just going to a store without having narrowed it down.

Also the more you know the more you can evaluate how much the salespeople or other people know. For example, I knew I wanted a certain configuration of refrigerator and so by going on the internet I had several thst I then checked out in person.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 5:22 pm
mommyto3RN wrote:
Sooo from experience it is worth to have the people you buy cabinets from install them. We’ve had issues, soo many, with install and the pulls and they had to reorder things and fix stuff and it was in our contract that it’s their responsibility as they bought and installed cabinets. Had we used different people to instal we would’ve been liable for it all.

This is why you want to have an excellent GC because it is their responsibility to handle everything - make sure all of the items needed are correct and on site. Coordinate all of the tradespeople and schedules them to be there. If something goes wrong, no finger pointing because the buck stops with the GC.

Most things have to be done in a certain order so that the GC knows how and when to schedule workers for when they need to be there.

For example, my cabinets were ordered from a custom local shop and his people installed the cabinets. However, he fully coordinated with my GC who handled all of the scheduling.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
Ha ha I feel your pain. I had a terrible run down kitchen but the idea of remodeling it was overwhelming to me.

What I can say is that by a combination of diligently doing research in terms of everything involved AND luck in hiring a great kitchen designer who recommended a great GC who used high quality workmen the end result exceeded my wildest dreams.

That said, do not even think about doing this without hiring a good designer and a good General Contractor. You don't know what you don't know and any amount you think you will save will not be savings because you will wind up wasting money; having more aggravation; having a poor result and spend hours that you don't have.

I would suggest slowing down a bit - researching - looking at kitchens - thinking about how you want your kitchen to function. Go to the kitchen forum on houzz.com and start reading threads about kitchens - go on the internet and start looking at kitchens that immediately you like and save them into a folder. When you get to the stage when you are ready to start actually hiring a designer you can show her your "aspirational" kitchens - discuss how you want it to function and it is a starting point because a great kitchen is the result of a collaboration between the homeowner, the GC and the designer

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens

Here is an excellent "read me first thread" from houzz

https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....#n=10

It has basic things to learn plus links to other threads which have exhaustive information.

Truly any time you spend learning the basics will more than pay off when you step into your new dream kitchen that was designed just for you - functionally and aesthetically.

Thanks, this is very helpful practical advice!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:02 pm
mommyto3RN wrote:
So it really depends on some things. Are you keeping plumbing in the same area or moving it? Are you just looking to add certain things but keep existing plumbing for dish washer sinks etc. adding a dairy side?
I for sure second the need for a kitchen designer. You can probably find one with another company that will do the entire design layout and needs to give dimensions for cabinets, how far from ceiling and all that. It is not easy to do this on your own. Once you have the layout you can order your own cabinets if you have someone who will install. The only issue getting cabinets and instal from different places is the cabinet company might not liable once you get possession of the boxes. Sooo from experience it is worth to have the people you buy cabinets from install them. We’ve had issues, soo many, with install and the pulls and they had to reorder things and fix stuff and it was in our contract that it’s their responsibility as they bought and installed cabinets. Had we used different people to instal we would’ve been liable for it all.

So thinking to save a bit here and there might not be worth it in the end actually.
Plus if you move plumbing they should probably come out first to see where pipes need to be placed before thinking kitchen layout because that will determine where what goes.

Cabinet people might not know a kosher kitchen but you tell them your needs and they are good about designing what you need. But you can go back and forth moving things until you are happy with the functionality of the design. Tell them I need 2 sinks, certain length of counters, dairy here etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, this is really appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen