Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Question about cream of broccoli soup

jzmom

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 9:24 am
I have a recipe for cream of broccoli soup that calls for a can of vegetable broth. I went grocery shopping last night and could night find a can of veg broth. Can I use the powdered vegetable soup mix? If anyone has a suggestion or an easy cream of broccoli soup recipe to post, I'd listen to either.

Thank you.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 9:29 am
You can easily substitute canned vegetable broth for vegetable broth made with powdered soup mix. Just boil up the equivalent amount of water and add the soup mix, according to the package directions, which is usually about 1 tsp. per cup of water.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 9:33 am
I make my cream of broccoli soup with powdered broth and it comes out great.
Anyway, here's my recipe that I actually just sent to a friend...
THIS ONE IS SO EASY AND SO AMAZING TASTING!! from an oldie but goodie cookbook my mother gave me-

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

1/2 stick margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 (1/4 oz.) can chicken broth
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli
2 c. milk (or coffee rich, if you want to make it pareve)

Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sautee about 10 min. Blend in flour (stir in very slowly/ gradually), salt and pepper; stir constantly, about 2 min. Gradually add broth, stirring, and bring to boil. Add the broccoli; cover and simmer until broccoli is tender. Puree in batches in blender until very creamy and broccoli is totally pureed. (Don't be tempted to puree for too short. The soup will not be creamy if you don't do it for long enough!) Return to saucepan/pot, add milk (coffee rich) and simmer. (You want to let soup absorb milk and get the flavor.) Serves 4.

jzmom

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:56 pm
Thank you. When you make it dairy do you use vegetable broth? Have you doubled this recipe? Have you tried freezing it?

Thanks for your help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics